Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 127

Thread: I'm Now On The Fire Tanny Wagon.

  1. #101
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Madison, NJ
    Posts
    2,192
    Quote Originally Posted by halfsharkalligatorhalfman View Post
    Tannenbaum's a great GM. He just bet big on Sanchez and came up short. He had no way of knowing Sanchez wasn't going to pan out.Every move he's made regarding contracts and trades have made sense and have made the team a playoff contender. Can't really ask more of your GM than that, after that point it's on the players to

    1. Get to the postseason
    2. Win in the postseason

    The current problem is Tanny really went for it 2-3 years ago and has been applying band-aids to an imperfect roster ever since, with mixed results. If you want Tannenbaum gone, you want a serious rebuild. As long as the team has a chance to make it to the playoffs that seems like a mistake to me.

    Just get to the playoffs, and then anything can happen.
    Saying in my business...."Losers average losers"

    But the numbers of the Sanchez deal, by some of the smarter minds around here, actually seemed to save us some dough.

  2. #102
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,554
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I dont need ESPN, i simply watch the games. And it was pretty easy to see yesterday that kendrick ellis, mo wilkerson, garret mcintyre, david harris, sione pouha, and mike devito....all of whom were brought in and/or developed by mike tannenbaums regime dominated the pitts running game.

    If you want to discuss rothlisberger picking apart the secondary, that is a legitimate conversation.

    But the amout of overreaction from people is just insane. Not every pick is a hall of famer and saying that we should have drafted heath miller, after the fact, is not a fair representation.
    We get it, your point is very well taken. BUT...picking out players is not really the issue, we could list the busts BUT, IMO our draft strategy is NOT championship caliber. The bring in Favre, throw away a pick, bring in Tebow, throw away a pick.

    Go to Hampton, UMASS, BOISE with our few remaining picks etc.

    SB teams draft better than we do, always have.

    the kings of kool aid mediocrity will of course find fault with my post as the y glare at their 69 pennant.

  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan920 View Post
    Because the head coach has no say in the roster? That's why Bart Scott is still on the team right..
    Of course the HC does, but you act as if mangini orchestrated some great draft classes and since he left we havent found a single good player....

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Of course the HC does, but you act as if mangini orchestrated some great draft classes and since he left we havent found a single good player....
    No, but Mangini obviously had a say in the draft picks and more of his picks were boom than bust. If you want to get into how the Ryan / Tanny regime draft so good how about the fact that the draft department wanted to quit after Ryan FOUGHT for Coples? How about the Connor pick that Rex HAD to have? Such a great pick, he was speculated to get cut two weeks ago.

  5. #105
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    4,238
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    BUT, IMO our draft strategy is NOT championship caliber. The bring in Favre, throw away a pick, bring in Tebow, throw away a pick.

    Go to Hampton, UMASS, BOISE with our few remaining picks etc.
    This is it - in a nutshell.

    The Jets opted to go for instant gratification and are now paying for it with a lack of depth. No one should be surprised.

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedGreen314 View Post
    Sorry buddy I'm not sitting here pulling up ESPN every time I need to write a response. Redman tore right through our defense on a ten minute drive to score last night, maybe it just felt like more because Rothlesberger was abusing Kyle Wilson and Antonio Cromartie all game
    ROFLMAO, you should be banned for incompetence

    Instead of admitting your are full of it, you dig your hole deeper...

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan920 View Post
    No, but Mangini obviously had a say in the draft picks and more of his picks were boom than bust. If you want to get into how the Ryan / Tanny regime draft so good how about the fact that the draft department wanted to quit after Ryan FOUGHT for Coples? How about the Connor pick that Rex HAD to have? Such a great pick, he was speculated to get cut two weeks ago.
    Link to the scouting dept wanting to quit over the Coples pick?

    Schlegel was a 3rd pick that Mangini reportedly wanted. Connor was at least a 5th.

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Link to the scouting dept wanting to quit over the Coples pick?

    Schlegel was a 3rd pick that Mangini reportedly wanted. Connor was at least a 5th.
    I'd have to find it, but I remember hearing about that. I don't make up facts about things like that.

  9. #109
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    8,263
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Sweet post.

    I hate to ruin this board with facts as opposed to whimsical rants, but....

    1. Colin Baxter played because we lost mangold and his backup robert turner. I dont know many teams who have a solid 3rd string center.
    2. Tanny drafted mangold and revis - both of whom are the best at their position in the NFL.
    3. A scant 8 days ago, the player Tanny traded up for, had the best opening day performance for a rookie WR the leage has seen in years.
    4. In that same game, Tanny's 5th round pick from the previous year had a TD catch, TD punt return and was named NFL Special Teams player of the week.
    5. The RT "that was luck" held a $100 million FA signing to 0 sacks
    6. Great call on "depth" Garret McIntrye had 2 sacks - he was an UDFA that Tanny found BTW, filing in for BT, and the previous game, with Pouha out, his replacement, a 3rd round pick that looks like a gem, replaced him and didnt miss a beat.

    Other then that, i completely agree

    ... excellent post ...

    ... don't ruin his fantasy world with truth though ...



    l_j_r

  10. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan920 View Post
    I'd have to find it, but I remember hearing about that. I don't make up facts about things like that.
    Plz do. I don't recall hearing that one.

    I know Clinkscales left but that was reported/Rumored before the draft and he went to work for his buddy so not a surprise

  11. #111
    Rexamillion5592 brought it up to me, but I remember Ryan promising him before the draft they would take him and the Jets brass were very high on Decastro.

  12. #112
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Super Insider Triple VIP Island
    Posts
    8,196
    Quote Originally Posted by simijet View Post
    This is it - in a nutshell.

    The Jets opted to go for instant gratification and are now paying for it with a lack of depth. No one should be surprised.
    That is Woody's doing, therefore Tanny will continue to have a job with the Jets

  13. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan920 View Post
    Rexamillion5592 brought it up to me, but I remember Ryan promising him before the draft they would take him and the Jets brass were very high on Decastro.
    Yeah. We know he "promised". That doesn't mean anything. Teams say that crap all the time.

  14. #114
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,137
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Link to the scouting dept wanting to quit over the Coples pick?

    Schlegel was a 3rd pick that Mangini reportedly wanted. Connor was at least a 5th.
    I found it odd that they were making him available for pressers. Not sure I have ever seen a director of scouting at a HC and GM press conference. I think they did it more than once.

    Rex also told Coples that he was going to pick him. I am not going to get bent out of shape b.c of that but I can see where that might turn some scouts off.

    His departure was a bit weird also. He was leaving, then he was staying, then he was leaving again. Like you said, he went to work for his friend but I found the situation with Clinkscales odd. Then there is Rex referring to picks as his picks or Tanny's picks. I can see where that can bother some scouts.

    Not saying I agree with the other poster, who BTW got his info from Fatty b.c Fatty has discussed it several times since the draft, but I do think there was some smoke there.

  15. #115
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Super Insider Triple VIP Island
    Posts
    8,196
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Link to the scouting dept wanting to quit over the Coples pick?

    Schlegel was a 3rd pick that Mangini reportedly wanted. Connor was at least a 5th.
    So you require links but 'reportedly' is good enough for you?

  16. #116
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Super Insider Triple VIP Island
    Posts
    8,196
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Yeah. We know he "promised". That doesn't mean anything. Teams say that crap all the time.
    Maybe it meant something to Clinkscales. Of course the rumors would be before the draft - when the promise was made. Somehow that invalidates its being actual?

  17. #117
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    So you require links but 'reportedly' is good enough for you?
    Yep.don't like put me on ignore.

  18. #118
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Maybe it meant something to Clinkscales. Of course the rumors would be before the draft - when the promise was made. Somehow that invalidates its being actual?
    Clinkscales is best friends with McKenzie. Its no shocker that he left to work for him.

  19. #119
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Yeah. We know he "promised". That doesn't mean anything. Teams say that crap all the time.
    I did see this mentioned, but it was here on the board and I don't believe there was a link.

    The story alluded to an argument in the draft room between the player personnel guys and rex saying that was telling them he "told coples he would be the guy if he was there" and the rest of the college scouting group wanted ingram. And that this was what eventually led to clinkscales leaving...

    I don't think a link will ever arise from this because i highly doubt anyone went on record about it.

    If it is true, its a terrible indictment of the organization, but we will never know for sure.

  20. #120
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I did see this mentioned, but it was here on the board and I don't believe there was a link.

    The story alluded to an argument in the draft room between the player personnel guys and rex saying that was telling them he "told coples he would be the guy if he was there" and the rest of the college scouting group wanted ingram. And that this was what eventually led to clinkscales leaving...

    I don't think a link will ever arise from this because i highly doubt anyone went on record about it.

    If it is true, its a terrible indictment of the organization, but we will never know for sure.
    Thanks. If that is true, Woody should have canned Tanny and Rex on the spot.

    However JMO I can't see Rex saying they had to take Coples just because he "told Coples he would be the guy if he was there". Then again who can tell what Rex will say

    Clinkscales, JMO, left to work with his buddy, McKenzie. A guy, i believe he played H.S. ball with, played and roomed with in college, and admitted they were in each others weddings.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us