Thread: There is a difference between not making plays and not having the chance to make them

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a difference between not making plays and not having the chance to make them

I don't know how many games you all have to watch to understand how god dammed fickle the nfl has become. The difference between winning and losing has become microscopically small.

The Jets did something yesterday that was extremely encouraging. They continuously put themselves in positions to make big plays. Unfortunately for us, they weren't able to execute them.

The deep drop by Hill, Sanchez missing Holmes in the end zone, landry blowing by big ben on 3rd down, Cro losing the ball in the sun on 3rd and 16. Those were all game-changing plays. Bad teams don't put themselves in positions to make them. Some days are better than others, for whatever reason, we just weren't able to finish plays all the way through yesterday. Against buffalo, we capitalized on all those moments.

I'll get worried when the Jets don't even put themselves in these positions. For now, I'll toss this one up as a bad day- Not the Jets being unable to beat a team like Pitt on the road.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed. Also include the Kerley muff. A big play for Pitt instead. He catches that and we get good field pos around our 40 with almost a full 4th quarter and down by 10.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's week 3

Jets 1-1 (just like half the NFL)

No reason to get your panties in a bunch(for all the pessimists)
    Last edited by endgameeugenics; 09-17-2012 at 12:46 PM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    also the Jets have 2 games this season VS Patriots. And the Jets have the Texans, and 49ers.

4 more "tough" games. 14 more total.

I'll go out on a limb and agree with the OP- the jets yesterday were a lot closer than the final indicated.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The drop by Hill?
    On the 2nd angle/time they showed it, the defender had a hand in.
    I think the throw was a bit short, jmo but another 1-2 yards and Hill has a td.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another 1-2 yard and Hill is out of bounds. He should have caught it.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by red75bronco View Post
    Another 1-2 yard and Hill is out of bounds. He should have caught it.
    I think the throw was on the money but it was just a good play by the CB bc he was right there. I think Hill could have caught it but it would have taken "elite hands" to do so imo. Hands are a thing Hill will have to develop more with time, but luckily that is something you can develop.

Still tho, I think there's something to be said by the quality of the throw, it was a very nice deep ball that was about as on the money as you can hope for from a QB. To have wanted a better positioned ball is to ask Mark to do something that only the truly elite QBs in the league could have done, and even with that, would have difficulty doing.

I do agree with the OP that we were more in the game than it seemed by the score tho. The amount of big plays that didn't go our way ended up being the difference in the game, and the urgency that this created led to worse play as the game went on.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    If our offense looked good doing whatever it was they were doing yesterday i'd have less of a problem seeing a lose to the Pitts. The offense looked weak, and why was this Tebow guy not on the field more ?!?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
    If our offense looked good doing whatever it was they were doing yesterday i'd have less of a problem seeing a lose to the Pitts. The offense looked weak, and why was this Tebow guy not on the field more ?!?
    It looked pretty good to me in the first half.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
    Tebow's presence in the game was just awkward. It felt like they didn't insert him naturally when the offense was seeming to work alright in the first half like they did with buffalo. Instead they waited till they wanted to change up the pace bc they were running out of options, and then kept him in there until he the first play it didn't work, then pulled him for the rest of it.

To use Tebow and the WC effectively IMO, you have to insert him into the flow of the game, giving him chances to make plays, then pulling him to get sanchez back in, not just because the previous play failed, but because you want to keep the Defense on its toes not knowing what's really coming next.