Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: ProFootballFocus ratings for Jets

  1. #1

    ProFootballFocus ratings for Jets

    Offense:

    Best- Mangold (+4.5), Slauson (+2.0), Brick (+1.9)

    Worst- Howard (-1.1, bad pass blocking and good run blocking... still better than Hunter and has some upside), Conner (-1.3), Shonn Greene (-1.6), Holmes (-2.1)

    Notable: Sanchez was a neutral +0.3, fits his performance- not great, but not terrible given the circumstance of the receivers. Also he needs to look for Hill, if he is going to throw to receiver who is not totally open Hill probably has a better chance of coming down with it than Holmes. Powell and Kerley were +0.9 each. Cumberland run blocks pretty well, but got docked hard as a receiver.

    Defense:

    Best- Wilk (+2.6), Ellis (+2.5), Devito (+2.4), Scott (+2.1), Pace/Dixon (+1.1)

    Worst- Harris (-1.7), Landry (-4.1, penalties made this such a low grade... fair cause it's an issue with him)

    Notable: No one posted a positive pass rush grade except for Pace and McIntyre. McIntyre is a liability in coverage, but is good at all the other aspects. Staff should look to minimize his main weakness here, cause he gives us pass rush we don't have. Coples was +0.5 on 16 snaps.
    Last edited by TheMo; 09-17-2012 at 01:22 PM.

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    21,194
    Offense: Not surprising at all. I thought the OL had a decent game. Not worried about Howard at all. Would not characterize his pass blocking as bad. He gave up a sack to a Pro Bowler. Looked like he was slow off the ball b.c the crowd noise. No excuse but at least he shows talent unlike Hunter.

    Defense: Surprised Scott scored that high. I guess they don't put much value on finishing the play. And the DL did play well against the run but the pass rush failed to bring Big Ben down. Big Ben is one of those QBs where sacks actually matter rather than just pressure.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Offense: Not surprising at all. I thought the OL had a decent game. Not worried about Howard at all. Would not characterize his pass blocking as bad. He gave up a sack to a Pro Bowler. Looked like he was slow off the ball b.c the crowd noise. No excuse but at least he shows talent unlike Hunter.

    Defense: Surprised Scott scored that high. I guess they don't put much value on finishing the play. And the DL did play well against the run but the pass rush failed to bring Big Ben down. Big Ben is one of those QBs where sacks actually matter rather than just pressure.
    I think this is why some of the grades are "high". I understand why PFF can't subjectively adjust based on the QB, but I get what you are saying and I think this leads to some of the what you see v. the players grade. I think in the end the grade is the fairer more objective way, but yea point taken.

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,837
    How did Ducasse grade out?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    How did Ducasse grade out?
    +0.2 overall, +0.2 pass block, 0.0 run block

    0 basically means he did his job adequately (average). Positive means the play was above average. Hard with such a small sample size for him (10 snaps- 4 run, 6 pass)

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Offense:

    Best- Mangold (+4.5), Slauson (+2.0), Brick (+1.9)

    Worst- Howard (-1.1, bad pass blocking and good run blocking... still better than Hunter and has some upside), Conner (-1.3), Shonn Greene (-1.6), Holmes (-2.1)

    Notable: Sanchez was a neutral +0.3, fits his performance- not great, but not terrible given the circumstance of the receivers. Also he needs to look for Hill, if he is going to throw to receiver who is not totally open Hill probably has a better chance of coming down with it than Holmes. Powell and Kerley were +0.9 each. Cumberland run blocks pretty well, but got docked hard as a receiver.

    Defense:

    Best- Wilk (+2.6), Ellis (+2.5), Devito (+2.4), Scott (+2.1), Pace/Dixon (+1.1)

    Worst- Harris (-1.7), Landry (-4.1, penalties made this such a low grade... fair cause it's an issue with him)

    Notable: No one posted a positive pass rush grade except for Pace and McIntyre. McIntyre is a liability in coverage, but is good at all the other aspects. Staff should look to minimize his main weakness here, cause he gives us pass rush we don't have. Coples was +0.5 on 16 snaps.
    So, our worst offensive players are our #1 RB and #1 WR? Surprise, surprise.

    Powell should be starting on offense. He runs low, has good quickness and balance and doesn't take clean shots very often.

    McIntyre should be starting on defense. Aaron Maybin . . . where are you?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    So, our worst offensive players are our #1 RB and #1 WR? Surprise, surprise.

    Powell should be starting on offense. He runs low, has good quickness and balance and doesn't take clean shots very often.

    McIntyre should be starting on defense. Aaron Maybin . . . where are you?
    -1.0, -1.1 in pass rush

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    -1.0, -1.1 in pass rush
    He looks awful this year. I wonder if the added weight slowed him down.

  9. #9
    How did Kyle Wilson grade out? Thought he did ok.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    How did Kyle Wilson grade out? Thought he did ok.
    No! No one did ok! The entire team should not even be allowed to exist!!!! Fire everybody!!










    :-D

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    How did Kyle Wilson grade out? Thought he did ok.
    -0.9, -0.8 in coverage. Definitely not terrible but not awesome either.

  12. #12
    jets have arguably the worst starting RB in the league and one of the worst #1 wrs. just like at RT, it's ok to have an average RT but you can't have the worst. we saw how having the worst RT changed the offense. well, i think having the worst RB and one of the worst #1 wrs in holmes is also killing the offense. greene is a disaster, they can't run him outside, he looks slower than he ever has and defenses know the plays that are coming. they'd be better going with an empty backfield and having mcknight and a TE in the slots.

    it's amazing how the jets made such a stink about getting faster this offseason, yet, they use some of the slowest lbs and possibly the slowest RB. then they wonder why the lbs can't track down qbs and why their rb has so many negative yardage plays. at a certain point, rex has to be blamed, since the roster does have 2 other rbs who are faster. mcknight ran 1 time for 12 yards. greene ran 11 times for 23 yards. what were the jets thinking on the 11th carry that made them think it was a better idea to run him instead of mcknight?

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    -0.9, -0.8 in coverage. Definitely not terrible but not awesome either.
    Tnx. He's definitely getting better. If he was -.9, what was Cro, -12?

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post

    it's amazing how the jets made such a stink about getting faster this offseason, yet, they use some of the slowest lbs and possibly the slowest RB. then they wonder why the lbs can't track down qbs and why their rb has so many negative yardage plays. at a certain point, rex has to be blamed, since the roster does have 2 other rbs who are faster. mcknight ran 1 time for 12 yards. greene ran 11 times for 23 yards. what were the jets thinking on the 11th carry that made them think it was a better idea to run him instead of mcknight?
    Also, Powell came on and had a really nice few runs. One play he kept his legs churning (which greene never does) and got a 5 yard gain when he should have been stopped for two. On another he LEPT OVER A PILE like some kind of antelope and got a four yard gain where greene would have ran into the back of a lineman.

    It drives me crazy that Greene is still the no. 1 back.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Also, Powell came on and had a really nice few runs. One play he kept his legs churning (which greene never does) and got a 5 yard gain when he should have been stopped for two. On another he LEPT OVER A PILE like some kind of antelope and got a four yard gain where greene would have ran into the back of a lineman.

    It drives me crazy that Greene is still the no. 1 back.
    at some point, we'll read about rumblings from 'unknown sources' that some offensive teammates think greene should be benched.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Coples was +0.5 on 16 snaps.
    We we're in our Base Defense what seemed the whole game yesterday. We played very vanilla on defense with a lot of zone and rushing 4 most of the game. I believe that was to counter the threat of Pitt running the hurry-up offense on us. Rex/Pettine didn't want to get caught in the wrong defense and Pitt didn't use it once after using it extensively against Denver.

    Which comes to Coples. We are not getting a pass-rush in our base 3-4 with Pace the rush OLB. He looks very slow to me. Nor is Maybin getting there. Sapp?

    I was expecting to see more of Coples by now in a 4 man front with Wilk at the other DE spot. I think he is our best chance to get pressure with a 4-man front (possibly with Davis coming in for Scott). Maybe the coaches don't think he's ready?

    We were very conservative in our O and D gameplans. It was almost like Rex and Tomlin agreed to just line up their guys and play straight up. We played ball control offense and took shots down the field. We had our opportunities. There was 1 turnover in the game.

    We lost to the #1 defense in the league. There's no shame in that. Their CBs were very physical, knocking our guys off their routes. They made good adjustments at half-time and played better.

  17. #17
    The Sanchez number confirms what I saw with my eyes. I had to listen to 3/4 of the game on radio, and was expecting the worst when I started up the game on Rewind last night. But what I saw instead was ball after ball being thrown to receivers with tight coverage and not being completed. No turnovers, very few bad decisions (only remember 2). I really felt that it was great defense and receivers not making difficult catches. The Steelers shutdown the running game, but they shutdown everyone's running game.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post
    We we're in our Base Defense what seemed the whole game yesterday. We played very vanilla on defense with a lot of zone and rushing 4 most of the game. I believe that was to counter the threat of Pitt running the hurry-up offense on us. Rex/Pettine didn't want to get caught in the wrong defense and Pitt didn't use it once after using it extensively against Denver.


    No Revis while playing one of the best receiving corps in the league.

  19. #19
    Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,479
    Thanks for these, their numbers pretty much match up with what my eyes saw. We need a good runningback, badly, that's the team's biggest weakness.

  20. #20
    Yea I am gonna wait to here what JB has to say about the All-22 tape as well as Dilfer. From what it sounds like (as per Harrison on NBC) the replacement refs are allowing too much contact, and our WR are just not built for that save for Hill, but he's a kid learning how to beat the press/run routes. Our WRs should have played better against it, but it was a factor any way you look at it.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us