Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: A fraud has been perpetuated on the Jetsí fan base

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Ryan was asked if he is concerned about his defense allowing 55 points in the first two games.

"Bet against us," Ryan said. "We'll see where it ends up. I know where it's going to end up. I tell you every year. It's the same thing. We've had some issues. We couldn't get off the field on third down. In the first game you get four takeaways in a half. I think that was pretty good. Up 41-7 on a team, we'll take that regardless of how any yards you give up."

SAR I
    Anyone else getting tired of this guy (Rex, not SAR)?

Maybe I will bet against you, you ****ing dick. Maybe I'll pay off my student loans by Week 12 by doing that.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Oh absolutely, SOJF. I'm SAR l with a filter.

Thats why I dont post immediately following games or during them iffin I can help it. Nobody needs to hear it and I dont do it very well.

I dont put dresses on pigs.

-
    Welcome to the club. I think it comes with age. I ve been thinking of a new thread or poll about how old we are as fans. My theory is...in general, guys like you and I have been through it since about 1980. From 87 to 97 we basically have a lost decade.

These younger fans, say 34 and under go back to about 1997 in REAL memory,and have a relatively pretty good record. # AFC champ games etc...

If you go back to say 72 and after, we have been so heart broken , so many times, we are running out of time. I REFUSE to drink kool aid. I see what I see and the Cards and Seahawks have BEEN to a SB, the PATS have LOST more than we have been to.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    I find this comment more offensive than the Jets defense.
    you're easily offended.
    Last edited by stanner; 09-18-2012 at 01:35 PM.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    This might be the post of the year. Spot on in so many respects. Keep em coming!
    I know you gazzed at the prospect of a Jets bashing article.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post

I see what I see and the Cards and Seahawks have BEEN to a SB, the PATS have LOST more than we have been to.
    The Pats have also won more Super Bowls than the Jets have been to.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    No $hit...GFY!

All Pro
    Other than '09, and even that year they blew a few leads late(ATL for one), this defense has really not been anything special.

Who cares about the rankings anyway? Total yards given up? Who cares?

Show me yards per rushing attempt, opponents thrid down %, and of course DEFENSIVE points allowed.

Frankly, giving up a lot of passing yards can easily mean you have large leads consistently, not a bad thing.

Practice Squad

Now GFY

Hall Of Fame
    We can pick at our own scabs thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Welcome to the club. I think it comes with age. I ve been thinking of a new thread or poll about how old we are as fans. My theory is...in general, guys like you and I have been through it since about 1980. From 87 to 97 we basically have a lost decade.

These younger fans, say 34 and under go back to about 1997 in REAL memory,and have a relatively pretty good record. # AFC champ games etc...

If you go back to say 72 and after, we have been so heart broken , so many times, we are running out of time. I REFUSE to drink kool aid. I see what I see and the Cards and Seahawks have BEEN to a SB, the PATS have LOST more than we have been to.

Well said my friend.........

The veteran fans of this franchise have seen it before. It is nothing new to us, there are certain moves that are made or not made that fundamentally make it very clear that there will not be a championship under this current FO.

Big picture, you cant build championships when:

- you lead with your words rather than your actions
    - players quit on the field and continue to have a role with the team
    - the team's philosophy is to trick the other team rather than beat them
    - the perception is that the owner would rather be more popular than win

Short term from Sunday but speaks volume:

- Poor tackling and drop passes feeds into circus like/undisciplined
    atmosphere
    - Leave a full minute and 2 TOs on the table before the half down 3 and
    punting down 2 scores late screams accepting defeat.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    - Leave a full minute and 2 TOs on the table before the half down 3 and
    punting down 2 scores late screams accepting defeat.
    i have no issue with this. you're on the road, playing the steelers, where they gave up a game-clinching td in the playoffs 2 yrs ago before halftime. it was a conservative call to not risk a momentum-shifting play, and head into halftime down 3 and getting the ball in the 2nd half. it's consistent with rex's philosophy.

i do have issues with using greene and dixon rather than powell/mcknight and coples. why draft these guys if you're not going to play them? this past offseason the call was to get faster, yet, they continue to play the slowest rb tandem, possibly in recent nfl history (greene/connor) and use lbs who clearly can't cover tes, let alone any wrs. i have issues with not running more in the 2nd half when the passing game wasn't working. mcknight got 12 yards on one carry but wasn't used again. tebow looked great but wasn't used.

All Pro
    True. And they were a unique set of SB wins, with their very own special symbolic icon.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i have no issue with this. you're on the road, playing the steelers, where they gave up a game-clinching td in the playoffs 2 yrs ago before halftime. it was a conservative call to not risk a momentum-shifting play, and head into halftime down 3 and getting the ball in the 2nd half. it's consistent with rex's philosophy.

i do have issues with using greene and dixon rather than powell/mcknight and coples. why draft these guys if you're not going to play them? this past offseason the call was to get faster, yet, they continue to play the slowest rb tandem, possibly in recent nfl history (greene/connor) and use lbs who clearly can't cover tes, let alone any wrs. i have issues with not running more in the 2nd half when the passing game wasn't working. mcknight got 12 yards on one carry but wasn't used again. tebow looked great but wasn't used.
    Ok, we disagree, but if this were the case then why run out of the endzone on the kick off? Why run two running plays? This is exactly why many are calling this HC clueless.............

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Ok, we disagree, but if this were the case then why run out of the endzone on the kick off? Why run two running plays? This is exactly why many are calling this HC clueless.............
    i thought the offense as a unit played tight for too much of the game. the defense played hard but came up short on too many 3rd downs but the unit had its chances. the offense, though, doesn't have enough history of success to maintain the confidence when things go awry. the giants, by contrast, they know they can crank out points when they need to but the jets don't have that history. i thought the offensive gameplan really needed adjustments in the 2nd half, namely using more speed at rb and being more creative to get the wrs in space. hopefully sparano is supercharged to stick it to his old team this week.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    True. And they were a unique set of SB wins, with their very own special symbolic icon.

*** = HISTORIC?

Last edited by GuidoYaztremski; 09-18-2012 at 03:48 PM.

This article is wrong in a lot of ways. You can't simply separate the play of the offense and the defense within the context of a game. After the first quarter of the Steeler game, the offense did not sustain a single drive. The whole defensive scheme of the Jets is predicated on Revis taking away one side of the field and rolling coverage accordingly. Without him they kept the Steelers to 20 points for 90 percent of the game. The last drive is more a reflection of being worn down in a game where the offense completed less than 5 passes in 3 quarters. If the Jets offense is middle of the road and can sustain a few drives, The Jets are playoff bound and can contend.

The linebackers are aging, but when healthy the Jets have a secondary that can mask that in coverage. Pressure with 4 is still a work in progress, but its not like Rex's blitz schemes are ineffective...Big Ben did his usual escape act on atleast 3 plays that would have been sacks vs any other qb. People are saying the Steelers are an example of an elite d. How elite were they last week when Denver hung 31 on them? The Jets still shut down the run as well as any other defense. Please dont reference CJ Spiller's garbage time yards. The bottom line is the Jets have a defense that is Super Bowl caliber, but if the offense plays at a bottom 5 level (which it did on Sunday), then it will not matter.

Its not a fallacy to consider the Jets defense elite, even the most elite of defenses will break down vs a Pro Bowl quarterback if the time of possession was as lopsided as it was on Sunday. This isnt an apologist post. We've watched less talented Rex Ryan Jet defenses shut down hall of fame qb's on the road in the playoffs. Elite defenses cannot consistently pitch 10 point games.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post...ngest-starters

Actually Ray that isnt true. If you look at the article where they take the average age of the starters on each unit, you will see the Jets have 2nd oldest average age in the league on defense and the offense is ranked 11th oldest.

The average age of the entire Jets roster is 26.21 years, which is pretty much the league average and ranks them at 17 in the league. The youngest is the Rams at 25.32 and the oldest is the Chargers at 27.15.
    Looking at the numbers like that, is kind of bogus. Doesnt take into account situations where the backup may play more snaps than the starter, or there are heavy rotations, and starters like Bryan Thomas, Bart Scott, and Bell skew the whole average age of starters way up.

Reality is the entire roster ranks, as you noted, middle of the pack. "Avg age of defensive starters" may very well drop by end of this season, if not definately by next season, as they start turning over the LB corps.

There's been no fraud. Our D has been very good under Rex. In 2009, we were a great defense. Turnovers by the offense and inability to throw the ball on a consistent basis doomed the team. In 2010, we were still a very good defense. The D played well enough to win that AFC CG. Last year, the D was only what I would say is "above average." We were good enough to make a SB run but only if the offense played at a very high level (which it was not capable of).

Only 2 games so far this season. Issues v. the run in week 1, issues v. the pass in week 2 (although no Revis). Nothing to suggest so far this is our best D under Rex, which many said it would be in the preseason. I'd still bet on us being a top 10 unit in the league when all is said and done, with top 5 not out of the question if some of the younger guys play to potential. Any suggestion or belief that the 2012 Jets have the best D in the league though seems pretty laughable at this point, although I think only Rex and the players on the team might believe that (the fans don't).

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by InRex_WeTrust View Post
    This article is wrong in a lot of ways. You can't simply separate the play of the offense and the defense within the context of a game. After the first quarter of the Steeler game, the offense did not sustain a single drive. The whole defensive scheme of the Jets is predicated on Revis taking away one side of the field and rolling coverage accordingly. Without him they kept the Steelers to 20 points for 90 percent of the game. The last drive is more a reflection of being worn down in a game where the offense completed less than 5 passes in 3 quarters. If the Jets offense is middle of the road and can sustain a few drives, The Jets are playoff bound and can contend.

The linebackers are aging, but when healthy the Jets have a secondary that can mask that in coverage. Pressure with 4 is still a work in progress, but its not like Rex's blitz schemes are ineffective...Big Ben did his usual escape act on atleast 3 plays that would have been sacks vs any other qb. People are saying the Steelers are an example of an elite d. How elite were they last week when Denver hung 31 on them? The Jets still shut down the run as well as any other defense. Please dont reference CJ Spiller's garbage time yards. The bottom line is the Jets have a defense that is Super Bowl caliber, but if the offense plays at a bottom 5 level (which it did on Sunday), then it will not matter.

Its not a fallacy to consider the Jets defense elite, even the most elite of defenses will break down vs a Pro Bowl quarterback if the time of possession was as lopsided as it was on Sunday. This isnt an apologist post. We've watched less talented Rex Ryan Jet defenses shut down hall of fame qb's on the road in the playoffs. Elite defenses cannot consistently pitch 10 point games.
    Last year in the biggest parts of the biggest games this so called "elite" defense could not get a stop. The start to 2012 have not demonstrated any improvement thus far.

The article is pretty much spot on.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Last year in the biggest parts of the biggest games this so called "elite" defense could not get a stop. The start to 2012 have not demonstrated any improvement thus far.

The article is pretty much spot on.