Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: A fraud has been perpetuated on the Jetsí fan base

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post

Actually Ray that isnt true. If you look at the article where they take the average age of the starters on each unit, you will see the Jets have 2nd oldest average age in the league on defense and the offense is ranked 11th oldest.
    RamRod just ignores that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    I don't get circling Landry and Harris .... If you do that you must circle Revis.
    Revis doesn't play slow. Harris does, not too sure about Landry yet.

The point of the graphic is that, for the most part, half our defense has played well north of over 100 games, lots of wear-and-tear on their bodies. Late in season's they're going to find it harder and harder to keep up with the rookie and second-year RB's and WR's that the league gravitates to.

The Jets recognized this years ago but the draft picks designed to flourish and replace the older guys haven't panned out. It's a good D, but not one designed to succeed late in the season when needed most. No one needs a history lesson, but the 0-3 finish last year was in the D as much as the O.

SAR I

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    +1

Granted, the O stalled, sputtered and pulled over to the side against Pitt....but this is nowhere near an Elite D.

Its silly to even deny it.

We had Pouha out the first game, and Revis out the second. So the first game the Jets can't stop the run, and the second they can't stop the pass. Go figure. I still blame Rex for playing zone. Big mistake against Ben.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Well that seems a little ridiculous as well. Less than one year older on average than the youngest team. Seems like a huge concern. If Ellis, Coples, and McIntyre start then we're the youngest.
    So the same could be said for any team if they start a back up who is younger. The point is, the Jets are not any younger than any other team, most NFL rosters are made up of a similar mix of players thats why you do not see a huge difference in the average of players on a roster. The point was that the Jets defensive starters are among the oldest in the league.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

Wheelchairs, not wheels.

SAR I
    When you rely heavily on free agents to assemble a team you are locking up large chunks of your salary cap and often forced to give extra years to players you might otherwise cut because you want to justify the cap investment that you have made. If you have several of these contracts on the books in overlapping positions then things have the potential to get ugly on the back end of those deals as they are for us with Scott and Pace. Add Harris a home grown talent but without much natural speed into this mix and you have the team speed problems that we have here a LB. I think it begins to get cleaned up next year but we had other priorities this year like finding a competent RT.

Oh wait...

Anyhow we are spending a ton of money at LB this year. A ton of money and the performance does not come close to matching the investment. It is all about the GM's philosophy for how to build a team.

Veteran
    Great article. They need to point out how we are the absolute worst defense in the league when it comes to stopping the 2 minute offense.

14 points allowed in the final 2 minutes of each half.

Thanks for the great thoughts guys. Like I said earlier I just don't see that many "elite defenses" in the league anymore. Our problem is two fold; first we need a pass rush which I believe will get stronger as the year goes on but what most scares me is the fact that our L/B's have become old and slow. The Patriots are one of the teams that has decided to go more to their tight ends to leverage this and Welker is quickly becoming less and less involved in their offense. Paying Harris $12 million is also a sham. He is getting paid for what he used to be not for what he is now

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Go figure. I still blame Rex for playing zone. Big mistake against Ben.
    But Rex is a defensive genius whose very grasp of the nuances of the science enable his schemes to overcome the absence of one or two players, no?

I mean..he has to be a genius for us to overlook his abdication of the O side of the line....or else why.... would he be here?

-

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    But Rex is a defensive genius whose very grasp of the nuances of the science enable his schemes to overcome the absence of one or two players, no?

I mean..he has to be a genius for us to overlook his abdication of the O side of the line....or else why.... would he be here?

-
    You sir are a borderline negative Nancy. Just sayin'

Jets D is really a lot different when Revis doesn't play. As a tandem, Revis and Cro is the best hands down. Without Revis, Cro is very avg IMO. The safeties can double down on a couple other guys when revis is playing. LEAVE REVIS ALL ALONE ON AN ISLAND!!
    We couldv'e had Bell or Landry double Cro's man on that TD VS Pitt.

When we're in our 3-4 and we got Pouha at NT, We stuff the sh** outta the run. If we play Pitt again, with a healthy Revis, I think we'll beat em'. Pitt can't run on us!!

Jets just can't be going sackless when they shouldv'e had like 6 sacks.

I have to disagree with the OP, we're not bend don't break. We had 3 Ints in the home opener

Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/09/...nse-for-years/

A fraud has been perpetuated on the Jetsí fan base and the public at large.

For three years and two games apologists have brainwashed many into believing the Jetsí defense is elite, as if finishing in the top 5 in total yards allowed a bunch of times truly defines that which is fearsome.

It doesnít.

There are several things to take from Sundayís 27-10 loss in Pittsburgh, none of them good. Iím choosing this particular time and space to focus on the defense, but believe me when I tell you Iím cognizant of the disaster that was the offense, including the serious regression it showed. I just want to address this team in parts, so as not to force feed you in one big helping that which you already know.

A lot of what Iím about to say will sound familiar, but it bears repeating for the millionth time because for some odd reason the Jets still donít get it, or are just ill-equipped to demonstrate they understand on anything resembling a weekly basis.

Despite its many successes in previous years, the Jetsí defense is a bend-but-donít-break unit. Itís not elite. To be elite it would have to be as intimidating and productive as, say, what the Steelers showed on Sunday, or the Ravens generally have shown for more than a decade, or what the 49ers have displayed over the last year-plus or what the Giants have traditionally unveiled when theyíve needed it.

No, the Jets for sure get high marks for giving off an aura of invincibility, but when itís time to actually produce and make the big plays at opportune moments they disappear, give up 10-minute drives, tackle like a Pop Warner team or treat opposing quarterbacks as if they wear red jerseys.

And please donít talk to me about Darrelle Revis. Yes, his absence hurt Sunday, but you didnít see the Steelers looking inept without their two best defensive players, Troy Polamalu and James Harrison. Pittsburgh found ways to ratchet up the intensity, to remain as intimidating as it always has been and to make a big impact when the moments called for it.

The Jets, on the other hand, continued to show they lead the NFL in best intentions.

More than anything else a top-notch defense is supposed to do, its pass rush must determine the tone and tenor of a particular game. The Jets recorded three sacks on Sunday. Sione Pouha got a gift when Ben Roethlisberger fell down in the second quarter and Gang Green got two more in the fourth quarter when the score was totally out of reach.

What exacerbated the situation further was the fact that coming in the Steelersí offensive line was a mess, and to be honest it didnít play all that great Sunday. The Jets, for whatever the reasons ó and if you figure them out youíre smarter than me, Rex Ryan and a host of others, did not finish plays. They spent plenty of time in the pocket and got their hands on Roethlisberger at least a dozen times, but as for interrupting his rhythm or, dare I say it, bringing him to the ground with the ball, they failed miserably.

And weíve seen this time and time again, regardless of the opponent, over the last three-plus years.

The question is why?

Do the Jets just simply not have the talent up front to get to the quarterback, even though they have made a concerted effort to draft linemen and get quicker and more athletic? Or are the schemes they employ not effective enough? I ask because regardless if they are running a 3-4 and bringing a host of linebackers or a 4-3 and relying on individual talent and pass-rushing ability, they have not gotten the job done.

Now you could say it was only the second game of the season and things can only improve, but Iíd counter that by saying weíve seen this type of failure repeatedly since Ryan arrived prior to the 2009 season. Donít you think a true pass rush might have gotten the Jets over the hump in both 2009 and í10 and put them in a better position to perhaps host playoff games and not have to take the hard road toward February? A case can be made that not doing a better job in the regular season was the soul reason why the Jets fell just short of the Super Bowl. I say this because playing and winning on the road in the NFL, regardless of the time of the season, is an art, not a given.

What magnifies the defenseís failure most is the fact that this offense, despite what it pulled off in Week 1, is probably, at the end of the day, below average to average at best. Without better running backs and better run-blocking, the Jets have to rely on Mark Sanchez, who, though improved, looked like his previous self after the first quarter against the Steelers.

And thatís because the Steelers have an elite defense. They sensed the enormity of the situation and went into lockdown mode on the Jetsí receivers. Jeremy Kerley had one catch after the 45-yard reception in the first quarter. Stephen Hill, he of the we better pick this guy up Hills of the World Fantasy Football Assoc., did not record a catch. Santonio Holmes was AWOL after his quick start and finished with three grabs for 28 yards.

And while all this was happening, the Jets and their fans watched in horror as Mike Wallace abused Antonio Cromartie, LaRon Landry, the heat-seeking missile that he is, repeatedly missed his marks (and got penalties) and the Jetsí defense as a whole decided two-hand touch was a far better way to stop the Pittsburgh offense than actually wrapping people up.

The Jets can get away with bending but not breaking and coming in the vicinity of quarterbacks against less experienced signal callers, which is what they will see more often than not during the rest of the regular season. However, when it comes time to deal with the Roethlisbergers, Tom Bradys and Matt Schaubs of the world they better pray they have done enough to beat teams with the likes of Ryan Tannehill, Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson, Blaine Gabbert and Jake Locker, among others, under center or this will, indeed, be a very long season.

I have no doubt the Jets will be fine against the run, but in this pass-happy league you donít need a stellar running game to win. Not anymore. Quarterbacks are maturing at lightning speed as opposed to previous generations, and every team has enough depth at wide receiver and tight end to handle teams that canít get to the quarterback.

Like the Jets.

Ryan and all of his defensive lieutenants better take what happened in Pittsburgh and learn from it because itís hard to imagine the Jetsí offense consistently giving this defense a cushion. The Jets simply canít look at what happened against Buffalo as the rule rather than the exception.

Either the Jets start sacking the QB, forcing turnovers or making sure the oppositionís punter plays more than their place-kicker or weíre all in for a very stressful final 14 games.

And if that happens, someone should pay. Who that could be remains to be seen. The Jets, for their part, should do everything in their power to see to it that no decisions like that ever need to be made.

The bottom line is this notion that the Jets have an elite defense is just a theory and a desire. Itís nowhere near a reality.
    As a Jet fan for 30 plus years. You are spot on!!! This d is smoke and mirrors. the inability and lack of football knowledge when it comes to Tanny is why we are in this state.
    Any fan who thinks a D that has Linebackers who cant cover, a d line who can't get to the qb, only one db who can actually cover is a out of their mind. take these players and put them in a miami uniform and everyone on this forum would be ripping into them to no end. Homerism rules here. The truth hurts.

Watching the nfl network of any sports channel, they are talking less and less about the Jets. The reason is they are not worth talking about. Rex is a joke and not a good coach.

OH yeah STATS are for PUSSIES. Top five d means nothing. Give me a 29th ranked d and a super bowl win any day. Keep believing the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    This "article" is written by some WFAN genius named Jeff Cappelini who is strictly following the official written directive from PD Mark Chernoff issued when the Jets left FAN for ESPN requiring ALL station personnel to BASH the Jets whenever possible

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
    I would agree that many in the media bash the JETS especially WFAN. You can thank, in part, Rex for this as well. When a HC under the spotlight that NYC brings acts like a fool by predicting numerous SB wins in a fashion that emulates more of a bully than a confident HC and staff it is a recipe for disaster. But I know, he is working really hard (by his own words) to have his thumb on the pulse of the team. It is the fans that must be patient after 40 plus years a but to look at Sunday's loss with the attitude that "its only week 2" like many posters are is foolish. A loss like Sunday's screams that we are headed for a losing season because of the type of play and decisions made by the HC. What happened at the end of the first half is beyond words. IMHO, the game was over right there. Typical though of Rex, act like a bully and scream about how tough your team is, but in the moment accept deafeat and not even try. How pathetic was that series? AND YES, I KNOW, the two AFC Championship runs aside (playoffs only) was a huge accomplishment but since then, and before quite frankly, Rex and the players look and make decisions that more often than not resemble being unprepared, lack leadership, and are not tough.

The loss on Sunday was as bad as any I've seen as a JETS fan. Not necessarily the score but what is gave off, the bigger picture, that this HC and staff will not get it done. It the same type of loss that was witnessed under Kotite, Coslet, Herm, etc.

My D is great!!! Ask Ryan Fitzpatrick

Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    As a Jet fan for 30 plus years. You are spot on!!! This d is smoke and mirrors. the inability and lack of football knowledge when it comes to Tanny is why we are in this state.
    Any fan who thinks a D that has Linebackers who cant cover, a d line who can't get to the qb, only one db who can actually cover is a out of their mind. take these players and put them in a miami uniform and everyone on this forum would be ripping into them to no end. Homerism rules here. The truth hurts.

Watching the nfl network of any sports channel, they are talking less and less about the Jets. The reason is they are not worth talking about. Rex is a joke and not a good coach.

OH yeah STATS are for PUSSIES. Top five d means nothing. Give me a 29th ranked d and a super bowl win any day. Keep believing the hype.
    i think tanny gets too much blame and rex gets too little. it wasn't tanny's decision to sit coples for most of the game. it wasn't tanny's decision to keep running greene instead of faster guys. why does rex 'get a pass' b/c of 2 afc championship games but tanny, who built those teams, gets none of that credit but gets all the blame when things go wrong. maybe rex doesn't utilize his players good enough.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    You sir are a borderline negative Nancy. Just sayin'
    Oh absolutely, SOJF. I'm SAR l with a filter.

Thats why I dont post immediately following games or during them iffin I can help it. Nobody needs to hear it and I dont do it very well.

I dont put dresses on pigs.

-

This D will be elite for this week and the rest of the season!

As long as Revis stays healthy

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    The D is not, and never has been elite in Jet history, under Ryan it can be, but only if he gets his O in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    The D is not, and never has been elite in Jet history, under Ryan it can be, but only if he gets his O in order.
    I'm still excited about this year's defensive unit.

It's only week 3

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by stanner View Post
    "perpetuated?" Wouldn't "perpetrate" be the appropriate word?

Either way...blech.
    I find this comment more offensive than the Jets defense.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by endgameeugenics View Post
    I'm still excited about this year's defensive unit.

It's only week 3
    No doubt, whenever a Ryan is involved in a D there is cause for excitement, none more excited than myself. The offense must be brought to order and it will, it takes time.

It doesn't take an elite D to win a SB, but it does take a productive O.