Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Story: Game Review: Where it All Went so Wrong

Post New Story: Game Review: Where it All Went so Wrong

Florham Park, N.J. - No one expected the Jets to go into Pittsburgh and throw up 48 points on the Steelers like they did against the Bills, but this was a winnable game and it sure looked winnable after the Jets first drive, but then... slowly things fell apart.

The Jets defense let the Steelers work their way into field goal range on the first two drives before tightening up and forcing the Steelers to settle for two field goals and the Jets opening drive made it looked like they were picking up right where they left off against Buffalo, but...

More...

Quote Originally Posted by JI BREAKING NEWS TICKER View Post
    Florham Park, N.J. - No one expected the Jets to go into Pittsburgh and throw up 48 points on the Steelers like they did against the Bills, but this was a winnable game and it sure looked winnable after the Jets first drive, but then... slowly things fell apart.

The Jets defense let the Steelers work their way into field goal range on the first two drives before tightening up and forcing the Steelers to settle for two field goals and the Jets opening drive made it looked like they were picking up right where they left off against Buffalo, but...

More...

Pretty much dead on.

That's what I posted yesterday when most folks were blaming the refs, Greene, Sanchez, the receivers etc etc. Football is still won and lost in the trenches. Their lines did a better job than our lines....the rest flows from that which is usually the case. The biggest fault with the current regime is they did not finish what they started in building a dominant OL. It's somewhat better with Hunter gone, but mediocre overall. Our DL however should continue to gel and I predict will become a dominant line before this season ends, barring unfortunate injuries.

Bewildered Beast
    Yeah...good article. Too bad the game was horrible.

It's one game in a long season but there are issues that were exposed that the Jets must address. Greene is not the answer (never has been), but we are stuck with him for the resat of the season. The bigger problem is the WR's not being able to get off of the press coverage. The Jets need to get this worked out asap as every defense we face here on out will try to expose that.

Good article but I don't think the hit on Sanchez had anything to do with the offence sputtering. After they adjusted to press coverage we did not adjust back and our run game was below average.

Jets pressured Rothlesberger all day, he just made great moves stepping up in the pocket and shaking off defenders like he always does. They sacked him 3 times and Ben broke out of at least 4 other would be sacks (Landry, Harris twice, Scott, Pace, McIntyre). Steelers running game wasn't a factor in this game. They broke some tackles on the final drive, but even with those, they still average about 2 yards a carry.

Slauson wasn't taken out because he was ineffective, Ducasse was just in to get some work. I think he came in during the wildcat package, probably because he is a more physical run blocker than Slauson. The Jets actually ran the ball pretty well considering its the steelers. Simms eluded to it early on. Jets O-Line protected Mark well under constant blitzes, problem was that Jet WRs were getting bottled up with the press coverage and it threw off their timing. I also dont think they did a good job of running routes that developed quick enough to beat the blitz... not enough slants, screens and quick back shoulder strikes on the sideline. Those are what beats the blitz. Not being able to get clean releases off the line makes everything difficult though.

Sanchez struggled, but the D kept us in the game for the most part. It really came down to some costly penalties on Landry that were very questionable, and a couple missed sacks on Ben (Landry at the end of first half and Harris on the long TD to Wallace). The D gave up a long TD drive at the end, but they were on the field way to much at that point. This was definitely a game where we should have seen a lot more of Tim Tebow and the Wildcat. If you watch the blocking on the few plays that Tebow was in there, you could see that it took away a lot of their aggressiveness. Yes, Clark made a nice play on Greene for one stop, but if Tebow had kept the ball, the blocking was very well set up with Moore and Howard pulling to lead the way (not sure why he gave out to Greene, I guess just changing it up. I'm sure he didn't think he would be pulled after that play. If Tebow got a couple series, and took a few shots down field, I think it would have benefited both our Offense and our defense. I still don't understand why they kept the Wildcat under wraps in this game with Mark and the WRs struggling to get anything going for so long. Jets left this one with a few bullets left in the chamber, and it's very frustrating to me.

Quote Originally Posted by hatnlvr View Post
    It's one game in a long season but there are issues that were exposed that the Jets must address. Greene is not the answer (never has been), but we are stuck with him for the resat of the season. The bigger problem is the WR's not being able to get off of the press coverage. The Jets need to get this worked out asap as every defense we face here on out will try to expose that.
    I think Powell will be more involved as the season goes on. I think it will help keep Greene fresh as well. He takes such a beating with his violent running style, he just cant be carrying the ball 25 times a game, plus Powell is more dynamic and better out of the backfield and in pass protection.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Jets pressured Rothlesberger all day, he just made great moves stepping up in the pocket and shaking off defenders like he always does. They sacked him 3 times and Ben broke out of at least 4 other would be sacks (Landry, Harris twice, Scott, Pace, McIntyre).
    That was the point made in the article, that the Jets couldn't generate pressure without blitzing.

The run d improved with Pouha but at least for this game, the d-line was no better at applying pressure than it has been in the passed, which necessitated more blitz of Rothlesberger to exploit.

The bottom line is that while there have been some nice young additions to the line, none are game changers (yet).

And while the safetys that were added love to hit people, they have already showed questionable judgment in when to go for those hits in pass defense situations.

The Cumberland play just shows how far the offense still has to go in learning the new system.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JI BREAKING NEWS TICKER View Post
    yesterday the tackling was piss poor all game.

Another excellent job by Chris Nimbley, pretty much saw the same game I did.

The absence of Revis is no excuse for what we saw out there.

Hall Of Fame
    Coaches quit on the team right before the half and the team quit on the coaches and on each other after the half.

Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    That was the point made in the article, that the Jets couldn't generate pressure without blitzing.

The Cumberland play just shows how far the offense still has to go in learning the new system.
    - isn't this why they drafted coples?

- in my opinion, sanchez had chemistry with bray, cotch, keller and kerley (so far). i think sanchez's rapport with hill is understandably a work in progress. i don't think he's had much with holmes and both of them know it and try to force it. cumberland got hurt in game 2 last year so you have to figure that's also a work in progress.

things look good when they play teams like the bills but in tougher situations like at pitt, when plays are tighter or things break down, there's just not enough history here and sanchez isn't that all world qb to compensate. plus having greene in eliminates another fallback option.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post

Another excellent job by Chris Nimbley, pretty much saw the same game I did.

The absence of Revis is no excuse for what we saw out there.
    Wait a minnit - you've met Christopher Nimbley?

Does he really drink Dos Equis?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Does he really drink Dos Equis?
    When he drinks beer, which isnt often.

I know him from his writings.

Any man that inserts piss poor into a piece of journalism gets my vote....for something.

-

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Pretty much dead on.
    Agreed..losing wasnt the issue, its the $hitting the bed. The Cro call, Kirley punt fumble, Sanchez going fetal,

ALL ON NATIONAL TV. WE SEEM TO GET EMBARASSED ON NATIONAL TV ANNUALLY.

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Coaches quit on the team right before the half and the team quit on the coaches and on each other after the half.
    Agreed!

Coaches play scared and the team got soft!

Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post

Slauson wasn't taken out because he was ineffective, Ducasse was just in to get some work. I think he came in during the wildcat package, probably because he is a more physical run blocker than Slauson. The Jets actually ran the ball pretty well considering its the steelers. Simms eluded to it early on. Jets O-Line protected Mark well under constant blitzes, problem was that Jet WRs were getting bottled up with the press coverage and it threw off their timing. I also dont think they did a good job of running routes that developed quick enough to beat the blitz... not enough slants, screens and quick back shoulder strikes on the sideline. Those are what beats the blitz. Not being able to get clean releases off the line makes everything difficult though.
    He was in for at least two series...Not sure if that included the "Tebow" series...

On if Vladimir Ducasse played for Matt Slauson because he was hurt…
    No, Matt wasn’t hurt. We were just giving an opportunity to Vlad to play. We do the same thing on defense. You saw Demario Davis in there some. You saw Josh Mauga in there. You saw the entire defensive line rotation. If you have a good football player, then you should use them. That’s always been my belief. I think Vlad has earned that right to play some.

On if there is a competition between Slauson and Ducasse…
    No, it’s just that we’re going to play everybody. If a guy is up, there’s no sense not playing a guy if he has earned that right.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...c-dbdababd48fa
    Last edited by C Mart; 09-18-2012 at 01:06 PM.

Bewildered Beast
    BS Slauson is getting his ass kicked; the NT from the BIlls and now in PIT. He was callahan's guy; is something up? Was there a scheme change? Slauson seems to have dropped off noticeably.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    BS Slauson is getting his ass kicked; the NT from the BIlls and now in PIT. He was callahan's guy; is something up? Was there a scheme change? Slauson seems to have dropped off noticeably.
    starters don't typically get benched if they're not hurt and not sucking. it sounds like ducasse could be improving enough in pass protection such that he's not the liability he was, and his run blocking in between brick and mangold could help the run game this season.

All Pro
    who knows. Maybe the Jets are saving the option package for later in the season. As to not let DCs figure it out too early in the season.