Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where was Coples?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    but a guy they cut, dixon, played more b/c he weighs more? this, against a team that they knew would be throwing a lot? why draft a pass rusher in the first round and not use him against a passing team?

i think rex's coaching skills leave much to be desired. coples and powell get benched for dixon and greene, and then a lot of people here complain that tanny stinks. no, rex stinks.
    I would argue both. Plus Woody, too.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    I would argue both. Plus Woody, too.
    Woody doesn't matter because he has no chance at going anywhere.

And Rex doesn't stink, the numbers certainly prove that, but he was wrong in this case. Hopefully learns a lesson because it was definitely confusing.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    but a guy they cut, dixon, played more b/c he weighs more? this, against a team that they knew would be throwing a lot? why draft a pass rusher in the first round and not use him against a passing team?

i think rex's coaching skills leave much to be desired. coples and powell get benched for dixon and greene, and then a lot of people here complain that tanny stinks. no, rex stinks.
    I still try to give Rex the benefit of doubt , but he continues to show he is nothing but a over ego defensive coordinator. If it isn't his mouth its his coaching style and player evaluations. Talks tough and brags with nothing to show for.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFAN 40 View Post
    I still try to give Rex the benefit of doubt , but he continues to show he is nothing but a over ego defensive coordinator. If it isn't his mouth its his coaching style and player evaluations. Talks tough and brags with nothing to show for.
    A lot of top 5 defenses to show for...

If you're going to ***** about super bowls, I guess you could do that but there are a lot of great coaches who don't get super bowls because they don't have the QB play.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Woody doesn't matter because he has no chance at going anywhere.

And Rex doesn't stink, the numbers certainly prove that, but he was wrong in this case. Hopefully learns a lesson because it was definitely confusing.
    Oh, I think he matters the most. This is the guy who will make the hires after this season when Rex and Tanny are s hit canned.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, I think he matters the most. This is the guy who will make the hires after this season when Rex and Tanny are s hit canned.
    I still think this regime (Tanny, Rex and Sanchez) get 2012 & 2013. But you are correct, Woody matters the most.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Hate to say it, but Chandler Jones looks like a much better player. He wreaks havoc on almost every pass play. Jets supposedly loved him, but I guess not enough to take him that high. Tanny blew it.
    Well, at least you're waiting for an extensive body of work before making such a judgment.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart;4601759[B
    ]I still think this regime (Tanny, Rex and Sanchez) get 2012 & 2013. [/B] But you are correct, Woody matters the most.
    Unless we make a playoff run, I truly believe they're gone. Just an opinion, of course.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    I suspect he was over-hyped, leading to the everyday fan having very high expectations for him. I suspect that he will be a serviceable player but not a great one.
    You just hate all Jets don't you?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unless we make a playoff run, I truly believe they're gone. Just an opinion, of course.
    My reason, and I've mentioned it here before, the SB being in NJ Feb 2014...So Woody wants a shot at playing in the 2014 SB in NJ...So he's "voiced" this to the regime and has been told what he wants to hear from the regime that they can accomplish this..

To drop this regime and "start over" won't look good for the 2013 season and thus during the 2014 SB..JMO

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    My reason, and I've mentioned it here before, the SB being in NJ Feb 2014...So Woody wants a shot at playing in the 2014 SB in NJ...So he's "voiced" this to the regime and has been told what he wants to hear from the regime that they can accomplish this..

To drop this regime and "start over" won't look good for the 2013 season and thus during the 2014 SB..JMO
    If the team bombs out this year, and with no prospect of improving in 2013 with Rex/Tanny/Sanchez at their respective helms, how would our prospects improve for the 2014 Super Bowl? I think Woody could make a bigger splash by bringing in a high profile HC like Gruden or Cowher and hope that they, like Jim Harbaugh, catch lightening in a bottle.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the team bombs out this year, and with no prospect of improving in 2013 with Rex/Tanny/Sanchez at their respective helms, how would our prospects improve for the 2014 Super Bowl? I think Woody could make a bigger splash by bringing in a high profile HC like Gruden or Cowher and hope that they, like Jim Harbaugh, catch lightening in a bottle.
    Good point!

Define "bombs"...I don't see this team bombing like 4-12. But we'll see

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Good point!

Define "bombs"...I don't see this team bombing like 4-12. But we'll see
    That's the missing component. If we go 9-7 and get into the playoffs, then I agree with you that Rex/Tanny/Sanchez will remain in place. But if we go 7-9, or worse (and miss the playoffs for the second straight year), then I believe Woody will clean house.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's the missing component. If we go 9-7 and get into the playoffs, then I agree with you that Rex/Tanny/Sanchez will remain in place. But if we go 7-9, or worse (and miss the playoffs for the second straight year), then I believe Woody will clean house.
    If the team (locker room) implodes again like last season then I definitely can see that happening..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    A lot of top 5 defenses to show for...

If you're going to ***** about super bowls, I guess you could do that but there are a lot of great coaches who don't get super bowls because they don't have the QB play.
    Top 5 defense is nothing more then a pat on the back for a defensive coordinator. Something that give Rex's foot fetish its run for its money. But he is a HC and the way the offense has been ignored surrounding your franchise QB with talent is inexcusable.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    if couples doesn't pan out Rex will make up another
    excuse, on his way to ESPN or Fox, his next job,
    and it will happen sooner than anyone could have
    possibly imagined, Alice, the honeymoon is over.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The tell tale sign for me on Coples was the 3rd and 16 burger hit for the TD. Coples was standing behind Rex on that one. If cople was not put on the field on that play it might be a bad sign.
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    They had him on the sidelines a bunch. His conditioning still could be an issue, unfortunately.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    if you noticed it was all against 2 and 3's not starters.
    Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    Led the league in sacks in the preseason. (I know it was preseason.) But he seemed to be pretty quick.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    It's called Veteranitis, a disease that the coaching staff has.
    As opposed to retarditus, what this fan base has.

Or just some of the fanbase.

Because we all now know that this coaching staff doesn't play young players like other staffs?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Diego Jet Fan View Post
    if couples doesn't pan out Rex will make up another
    excuse, on his way to ESPN or Fox, his next job,
    and it will happen sooner than anyone could have
    possibly imagined, Alice, the honeymoon is over.
    Yes, because if Coples is just a good or decent player it will cost someone his job.

Got to love the insightful analysis you can find by the suicide crew here