Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Where was Coples?

Coples should be playing DE in 3-4 too, not just 4-3 DE/DT. If Justin Smith can do it Coples can learn to as well. Even if it doesn't pay immediate dividends, hopefully down the line and next year he becomes dominant as a pass rusher from that spot. Wilkerson was solid last year but all that experience has led to dominant play thus far this season. Guy has be ferocious against the run, could add some pass rush but I think he is going to end up being a 5-7 sack guy that demands doubles/shuts down the run. That all happened cause he was baptized by fire last season. Coples could use the same IMHO.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjets23 View Post
    Rex mentioned in his presser that since the Steelers had one of the largest offensive lines in the league, they were better off using bigger lineman instead of Coples who's 280 lbs. Sounds like a weird & lame excuse....
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    That's dumb if true. You can't sit a player who you took at #16 because he's not big enough. Should've lined him up at DE.
    I hope this isn't true.

I still think how we are built is that we need a pass rush from our OLB. Our DL are not pass rushers. Regardless of whether we run 4 down lineman or 3. Coples and Wilk will never be 10 sack guys. We need OLB pass rush. Even when we run a "4-3" it is not a true 4-3 b.c of our personnel.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 09-17-2012 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Seems quick but the question with him is his head. Does he bring it on every down the way the great ones do. I suspect not but we wont know until we see him play for a year or two.
    Do you really have to keep bringing up his last year of college? Please give it a rest. There were extenuating circumstances and he's already talked about them till he was blue in the face. Stop spitting back what the media says. They are trying to SELL PAPERS! His play has been nothing like that so far. If he's not on the field he can't make plays!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    I suspect he was over-hyped, leading to the everyday fan having very high expectations for him. I suspect that he will be a serviceable player but not a great one.
    feel the same way bro

Hate to say it, but Chandler Jones looks like a much better player. He wreaks havoc on almost every pass play. Jets supposedly loved him, but I guess not enough to take him that high. Tanny blew it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    That's dumb if true. You can't sit a player who you took at #16 because he's not big enough. Should've lined him up at DE.
    +1 His speed and explosiveness would make their apparent size advantage a non-issue

Not a HoFer 2 games into his rookie year? BUST!1!!!

Never change, Jets fanbase.

Rex please shut up. Man this is a tiny snowball.....oO

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFAN 40 View Post
    So in other words , Rex theory is match big and slow o line with big and slow d line. Is he serious!! Did he not see Denver speed up front give Pitts o line some problems or did he not see when we used some speed to force them into taking a fg on the first possession.
    Exactly. How is it that a fan can see this but an NFL coach can not. Unbelievable

Quote Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
    Do you really have to keep bringing up his last year of college? Please give it a rest. There were extenuating circumstances and he's already talked about them till he was blue in the face. Stop spitting back what the media says. They are trying to SELL PAPERS! His play has been nothing like that so far. If he's not on the field he can't make plays!
    Perhaps... or perhaps it's a case of "He who can't make plays won't be on field"

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Coples should be playing DE in 3-4 too, not just 4-3 DE/DT. If Justin Smith can do it Coples can learn to as well. Even if it doesn't pay immediate dividends, hopefully down the line and next year he becomes dominant as a pass rusher from that spot. Wilkerson was solid last year but all that experience has led to dominant play thus far this season. Guy has be ferocious against the run, could add some pass rush but I think he is going to end up being a 5-7 sack guy that demands doubles/shuts down the run. That all happened cause he was baptized by fire last season. Coples could use the same IMHO.
    It's going to take time for coples to pick up the 3-4. I do like the idea of him playing a 3-4 DE and then moving him inside as a 4-3 DT on passing downs

Wasn't Coples supposed to be the more finished product and Jones was supposed to be the "project"? I'm not ranking on Coples but it seems he shouldn't be struggling that much more with the defense.

He was on the sidelines most of the game.

Rex said that due to the steelers big o line he wanted to use bigger guys.

So the guy you drafted to bring pressure is too small, he's fast but too small at 280. WOW!!!

Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    He was on the sidelines most of the game.

Rex said that due to the steelers big o line he wanted to use bigger guys.

So the guy you drafted to bring pressure is too small, he's fast but too small at 280. WOW!!!
    rex prefers veterans. that's why the jets have the slowest lbs in the nfl.

Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    Hardly seemed to play at all. Sorry if this has been covered but I'm too damn depressed to read all these threads.

On why Quinton Coples did not play a lot…
    That’s a huge offensive line. When you look at that offensive line, that’s the biggest offensive line in the league. They’re huge and they had a couple of big running backs, so we preferred to put a guy who’s 320 pounds over a guy who’s 280 pounds.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...c-dbdababd48fa

All League
    Coples was standing next to Rex on that 3rd and 15 debacle..

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    On why Quinton Coples did not play a lot…
    That’s a huge offensive line. When you look at that offensive line, that’s the biggest offensive line in the league. They’re huge and they had a couple of big running backs, so we preferred to put a guy who’s 320 pounds over a guy who’s 280 pounds.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...c-dbdababd48fa
    I might be mistaken but don't the Eagles have the biggest line?

Quote Originally Posted by jets80 View Post
    Coples was standing next to Rex on that 3rd and 15 debacle..
    so hopefully he had a better view than if he had been playing.

Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    They had him on the sidelines a bunch. His conditioning still could be an issue, unfortunately.
    His conditioning is no issue.

The guy played every snap in a couple of preseason games and produced at a high level. Against starters and backups.

Sucks he wasn't on the field more especially because his athleticism and arms are exactly what you want against someone like Ben .

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    His conditioning is no issue.

The guy played every snap in a couple of preseason games and produced at a high level. Against starters and backups.

Sucks he wasn't on the field more especially because his athleticism and arms are exactly what you want against someone like Ben .
    but a guy they cut, dixon, played more b/c he weighs more? this, against a team that they knew would be throwing a lot? why draft a pass rusher in the first round and not use him against a passing team?

i think rex's coaching skills leave much to be desired. coples and powell get benched for dixon and greene, and then a lot of people here complain that tanny stinks. no, rex stinks.