Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harris overpaid ?

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    This is BS. David Harris has to cover the whole field because the rest of his LB colleagues suck and can't cover, stop the run or tackle. He can't be everywhere. The guy is underpaid for what he is expected to do and the flaws of the other LBs he is supposed to hide.

Replace the bums around him with the young LBs on our team and problem solved.
    Agreed. He's a very good player, maybe making a little too much, but you do what you have to do to retain players you draft and develop.

Harris and Scott don't really complement each other well - a fast LB next to Harris would be ideal. Hopefully Demario Davis can fill that role soon.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I never thought Harris would be back with the Jets because I didn't think we would want to pay him what he would get on the open market, or at least I didn't think he was worth the money he would get. I was shocked when the Jets gave him the contract they gave him. I figured if he resigned with the jets before becoming a free agent, we would have gotten him at a discount. I was thinking $6-7 mil per year for 5 years would have been fair. We grossly overpaid for a guy considering he never tested the market.

There are just so many decent ILBs out there, unless you have a guy like Willis or Lewis who are ELITE every down players, you just can't justify spending that kind of money on an Inside Backer.

I love Harris, but this was a bad contract by Tanny, as was Holmes, as was Cro.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    I never thought Harris would be back with the Jets because I didn't think we would want to pay him what he would get on the open market, or at least I didn't think he was worth the money he would get. I was shocked when the Jets gave him the contract they gave him. I figured if he resigned with the jets before becoming a free agent, we would have gotten him at a discount. I was thinking $6-7 mil per year for 5 years would have been fair. We grossly overpaid for a guy considering he never tested the market.

There are just so many decent ILBs out there, unless you have a guy like Willis or Lewis who are ELITE every down players, you just can't justify spending that kind of money on an Inside Backer.

cro is a steal compared to what brandon carr and lardarius webb got this offseason

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post

If you want to worry about what we pay somebody, worry about Revis. We have built this team poorly and now we are going to pay Revis big money and kill our future.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Agreed. He's a very good player, maybe making a little too much, but you do what you have to do to retain players you draft and develop.

Harris and Scott don't really complement each other well - a fast LB next to Harris would be ideal. Hopefully Demario Davis can fill that role soon.
    So you want Harris to change positions now? Right now Scott is the MIKE and Harris is the MAC, meaning Scott goes to the strong side of the formation (TE) and takes on a lot of the lead blockers so Harris can clean up and make the tackles. The MIKE does the dirty work and the MAC is supposed to run more freely and make plays. No way Davis will be the MIKE since he is undersized. If Harris moves to MIKE he will be REALLY overpaid! Then again, Scott is grossly overpaid as the MIKE already.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the article from Forbes.......

The NFL's Most Overpaid Players Of 2012
    1 comments, 0 called-out + Comment now
    + Comment now
    see photosScott Cunningham/Getty Images
    Click for full photo gallery: NFL's Most Overpaid Players
    New York Jets linebacker David Harris is a very good player. Playing alongside the noisy and hard-hitting Bart Scott, Harris, a sixth-year man out of Michigan, quietly led the Jets with 65 tackles last season. His five quarterback sacks were second on the club.

But there’s a difference between very good and elite. Harris is known as a run stopper who sometimes has trouble in pass coverage. He’s made All-Pro just once, when he was a second-team selection in 2009. Solid as he is, you don’t expect to see him making more than every other linebacker in the NFL.
    And yet, that where Harris’ $12 million in salary and bonus this season puts him. And so there’s little choice but to include him on our list of the NFL’s most overpaid players. He’s got company from the Jets: wide receiver Santonio Holmes (one 1,000-yard season; $9.25 million) and cornerback Antonio Cromartie (one Pro Bowl five years ago; $8.25 million) also make the cut.

We came up with our list of overpaid players not through sheer stats – that makes little sense in football, where team systems and game plans drive many of the numbers -but by using basic common sense. We looked at all NFL players making at least $5 million in 2012 (there are 169 of them) and determined which have given back the least performance-wise over the past few years. Who’s getting All-Pro money without making All-Pro? Who’s been having trouble staying on the field consistently?

In addition to the Jets’ trio, other members of the top 10 include Oakland running back Darren McFadden ($7.8 million), who’s had one 1,000-plus rushing season since being drafted in 2008, and Jacksonville receiver Marcedes Lewis ($9.6 million), who had 10 touchdown catches in his lone Pro Bowl season of 2009, and a total of eight TDs in his other five seasons combined.

We’ll admit that compared to other sports, the NFL All-Overpaid list isn’t easy to put together. All the players on it are good. In fact, the thing that catches your eye about NFL salaries is the relative paucity of players who are blatantly overpaid. The NBA is sprinkled with big-money bench warmers averaging five points a game. Baseball has its unproductive, aging stars collecting mega millions on the back ends of long-term contracts (the Yankees are locked into 37-year-old Alex Rodriguez for five more years and $114 million, plus possible bonuses connected to his pursuit of Barry Bonds’ career home run record – managing partner Hal Steinbrenner practically locked big brother Hank in the attic after that one).

The NFL has a knack for controlling such things — one of the reasons the league stands as the most well-oiled business machine in American sports. Rarely are player contracts fully guaranteed. That headline number of $96 million that Peyton Manning signed for to join the Denver Broncos for five years? Only the first $18 million is guaranteed. If the Broncos were to cut Manning during next year’s training camp, they save a boatload of money. The Yankees can only dream of doing that with A-Rod.

The result of all that salary flexibility is that for the most part, big money goes to the guys that produce. Traditionally, the one big exception was rookie contracts, where top picks got enormous bonuses based on potential. But even that annoyance was taken care of in the latest collective bargaining agreement The two latest No. 1 picks, Andrew Luck and Cam Newton, got about a quarter of the $86 million that Sam Bradford got from the St. Louis Rams, who drafted him first in 2010 (incidentally, we stayed away from young high draft pick like Bradford and Tampa Bay defensive tackle Gerald McCoy on the all-overpaid list, figuring they deserve a bit more time to live up to their rookie deals).

Still, within the framework of responsible spending, there will always be players who are relatively overpaid (or underpaid) for what they produce. David Harris can clearly play. But at $12 million, he’s one of them.

The List:

1. David Harris (New York Jets, $12 million)

2. Karlos Dansby (Miami Dolphins, $10.7 million)

3. Johnathan Joseph (Houston Texans, $9.75 million)

4. Marcedes Lewis (Jacksonville Jaguars, $9.6 million)

5. Santonio Holmes (New York Jets, $9.25 million)

Click here to see more of the NFL’s Highest-Paid Players

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't his current salary is a thank you gesture from the FO for playing through his rookie contract?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    whatever the case may be on this harris salary tanne needs to restructure it so it works in the jets favor. this guy isnt worth that kind of money. hes a good player but not that good.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    maybe we can get a 1st or 2nd round pick at UMASS or BOISE to replace him.
    Or a QB from USC.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    whatever the case may be on this harris salary tanne needs to restructure it so it works in the jets favor. this guy isnt worth that kind of money. hes a good player but not that good.
    Unfortunately players don't give money back. We got ourselves into this bind because Harris deal did not get done in a timely fashion. Harris did not get done in a timely fashion because we were always and forever (a) paying off last year's free agents and (b) trying to free up enough cap space to take a run at this year's free agents (e.g. Manning this year or Aso the year before in this case).

So we tagged Harris and he got a huge payday. More evidence of poor cap planning IMO.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who cares if Harris is slightly overpaid?

He's easily the best player in our front seven and the only ILB that I would take over him at this point is Patrick Willis.

If you wanna talk about overpaid, then look no further than Bart Scott. Or Calvin Pace for that matter. Two guys who were nothing more than "solid" at best when we originally signed them, yet we made Pace the highest paid LB in the league at the time and gave Bart Ray Lewis money.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

He's easily the best player in our front seven and the only ILB that I would take over him at this point is Patrick Willis.

If you wanna talk about overpaid, then look no further than Bart Scott. Or Calvin Pace for that matter. Two guys who were nothing more than "solid" at best when we originally signed them, yet we made Pace the highest paid LB in the league at the time and gave Bart Ray Lewis money.
    Agreed. Harris may be overpaid but Scott and Pace are the ones really killing us because they simply aren't productive enough.

We need speed on this defense. We started in that direction in this year's draft with Davis and I expect we will continue in that direction in next years.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

(2012)
    Harris $12m
    Scott $5.9M
    Pace $7.9M

Harris really is not slightly overpaid. He is massively overpaid. That is 5-6 million dollars that could be put to good use elsewhere.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Really?

With regards to Pace and Scott, that is what happens when you sign FAs. The contracts usually end up being a PITA at the end.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cromartie gets my vote for the most overpaid Jet.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We resigned him at over market value then reworked his deal where it is almost a bad joke. He gave a major discount in 2011. There was a huge fear at the time because Scott was not playing good at all and there was seriously no other better options. Very good player pretty much the back bone of the D right now really but yeah not worth 12-13 mil. If they can extend him next year they should and hopefully move 3 mill from next years salary but get used to him making like 10 mil a year for at least 3 more years IMO. Because that will likely be the story.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Dude, please concentrate on your Pats, who lost to the Cupcake Cards at home

... lol, + 9999999999999999 ...

... harris may be taking us for a bit of a ride ... at least he's not robbing us like devin mccourty is for his 1.7 mil 2012 cap hit in relation to his production ...

l_j_r