Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shonn Greene's Career Long Run. Any Guesses?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Shonn Greene's Career Long Run. Any Guesses?

33 yards. That's pathetic.

He's had 584 career carries and has never broken a 40 yard run. He has 2 career 30 yard runs: 33 and 31 yards.

Do you know who his comparables are?

Isaac Redman and BenJarvus Green-Ellis. Even fatass Mike Tolbert has 40 yard runs and 60 yard receptions. Greene's long reception is 36 yards, the only reception of his career that went for more than 15 yards. I'd guess that's why we don't throw screens, by the way.

How is a running team starting a running back with ZERO big play ability. You can't tell me that the blocking hasn't given him a chance to break a single 50 yarder in 3 years. He has a combination of bad vision and not being able to make people miss.

Greene's a fine complementary back, but that's it. He shouldn't have more than 10 carries per game or so, and they should come late in the game when we have a lead. Redman had 110 carries last year. That's what Greene should be for us. I don't think Mendenhall is anything special, but where's our Mendenhall. He at least has the requisite skill set to be a lead back.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your point is valid but I think Cro remembers a longer one.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisc8585 View Post
    Your point is valid but I think Cro remembers a longer one.
    OK, so one long run in the playoffs, where one defender spectacularly failed to tackle him, and another decided to not even attempt to do so.

Wonderful.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, Greene is not good enough for a team that wants to run it as much as the jets do.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The play were he choose to go head first into a guy and injure himself instead of a simple side step to pick up the first is his whole career in a nut shell.

No vision, moves, or field awareness.

Guy is absolutely terrible as a #1 rb.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Becoming painfully obvious where we should have gone/must go in FA or the draft. Greene is a terrific #2 back, not a #1. We are devoid of a #1 RB. And a #1 WR for that matter.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    He is a good change-of-pace back, he's not a #1. To tell you the truth I would start Powell over him, I think he has more play-making ability and is better in pass-protection. Did you see Greene totally whiff on Timmons? Guy is lost.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed. Powell runs hungrier and is a better pass blocker. Besides Greene got his bell rung vs Pitt. Would like to see what Powell has to offer as a starter

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    we have all forgotten about Joe McKnight as has the CS apparently.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    33 yards. That's pathetic.

He's had 584 career carries and has never broken a 40 yard run. He has 2 career 30 yard runs: 33 and 31 yards.

Do you know who his comparables are?

Isaac Redman and BenJarvus Green-Ellis. Even fatass Mike Tolbert has 40 yard runs and 60 yard receptions. Greene's long reception is 36 yards, the only reception of his career that went for more than 15 yards. I'd guess that's why we don't throw screens, by the way.

How is a running team starting a running back with ZERO big play ability. You can't tell me that the blocking hasn't given him a chance to break a single 50 yarder in 3 years. He has a combination of bad vision and not being able to make people miss.

Greene's a fine complementary back, but that's it. He shouldn't have more than 10 carries per game or so, and they should come late in the game when we have a lead. Redman had 110 carries last year. That's what Greene should be for us. I don't think Mendenhall is anything special, but where's our Mendenhall. He at least has the requisite skill set to be a lead back.
    He's had two carries longer than that. 39 yards and 53 yards.
    Last edited by jetsfan789; 09-17-2012 at 10:43 PM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    we have all forgotten about Joe McKnight as has the CS apparently.
    There has got to be a reason Mcknight is not getting more carries, he's too talented not to. He is probably still fumbling the ball in practice that's the only thing I can think of. They just don't trust the guy. He made the best run we had all day

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NowLet'sGoEatAF'NSnack View Post
    There has got to be a reason Mcknight is not getting more carries, he's too talented not to. He is probably still fumbling the ball in practice that's the only thing I can think of. They just don't trust the guy. He made the best run we had all day
    Tebow.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Greene has 10 carries of 20 yards or more in his career. Thats it.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan789 View Post
    Tebow.
    Yep forgot about that Tebow run. We should have stuck with that a little more in the 2nd half, God knows it couldn't have been any worse.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan789 View Post
    He's had two carries longer than that. 39 yards and 53 yards.
    Both in the playoffs and--along with his 33 yard run--in his rookie season, when I think we would all agree he was a much better player.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Both in the playoffs and--along with his 33 yard run--in his rookie season, when I think we would all agree he was a much better player.
    10 carries of 20 yards or more..........TEN.

I know he isnt MJD or anything but, MJD had 1,600 yards running behind the Jacksonville line last year. I know people want to use the line as an excuse but it isnt all on the line.

People also want to hang their hat on the fact that Greene ran for 1,000 yards last season, but so did LeGarret Blount, is he a #1, game changing RB in the NFL??

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Worse than his lack of explosiveness, Greene has a tendency to fumble, which is an even bigger issue for me.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    10 carries of 20 yards or more..........TEN.

I know he isnt MJD or anything but, MJD had 1,600 yards running behind the Jacksonville line last year. I know people want to use the line as an excuse but it isnt all on the line.

People also want to hang their hat on the fact that Greene ran for 1,000 yards last season, but so did LeGarret Blount, is he a #1, game changing RB in the NFL??
    I would take Blount over Greene in a heartbeat.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    I would take Blount over Greene in a heartbeat.
    The other truth is that guys like Blount or Greene usually don't last very long in the NFL - espc. when you want them to function as a primary back. So whatever one feels about Greene, it's quite clear from a contract and production perspective that he isn't going to be here past 2012.

I don't fault Rex and the head office for much, but the lack of productive running back depth - something we'll need to draw on as soon as next season - is bad planning.

I guess part of the thinking is that there are always vet retreads out there. I am interested to see how the Jets plan to handle this situation.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cedric Benson was out there for months, could have had him for cheap $