Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What happened to Maybin?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    What happened to Maybin?
    Ran into the Jets conditioning program. Will be out of breath by quarter 2

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    After two games in which he has yet to register a sack, tackle or hit on the quarterback, Aaron Maybin says that he must improve his play. The linebacker was left off the stat sheet after playing 13 snaps in Pittsburgh. He played 16 snaps against Buffalo.

"I feel like I have to step it up," Maybin said today.

Maybin had six sacks and forced four fumbles last year, a breakout season for him as he joined the Jets. Those are the types of plays by which he measures himself. And with his production lacking, the self-critical Maybin is pointing the finger at himself.

"I was alright the first game with how I played because we came up big at the end of the game as a team with the win. But when you look at our performance yesterday, I don’t feel like I played bad, but when I don’t have game-changing plays, per se, I don’t feel as though I did my job because that’s what they expect from me."

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...l#incart_river

This is what happens when you have a one dimensional player in the front 7. He can't be on the field in rushing situations because he's just too small. In passing situations he's a one trick pony - he'll either speed rush around the T to get the QB who takes too deep of a drop, or can come from behind when coverage is tight and the QB holds the ball for too long.

Offenses and smart QBs adjust to his tape. When fat Ben held the ball too long on Sunday, he stepped up in the pocket. They also didn't call for many deep seven step drops.

Limited talent = limited playing time = limited stats. Add on the adjustments the other guys makes - and Maybin goes "0-fer".

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    This is what happens when you have a one dimensional player in the front 7. He can't be on the field in rushing situations because he's just too small. In passing situations he's a one trick pony - he'll either speed rush around the T to get the QB who takes too deep of a drop, or can come from behind when coverage is tight and the QB holds the ball for too long.

Offenses and smart QBs adjust to his tape. When fat Ben held the ball too long on Sunday, he stepped up in the pocket. They also didn't call for many deep seven step drops.

Limited talent = limited playing time = limited stats. Add on the adjustments the other guys makes - and Maybin goes "0-fer".

It doesn't matter one bit if someone is a one trick pony... If they get sacks, that's all that counts. Or even hurries for that matter.

Right now he's not doing anything so that's why he's not worth having out there. His best move last year was the speed move to the outside. Even though he wouldn't get to the QB on some plays, the QB would speed up his delivery because all he seen was Maybin blowing by the LT and out of the QB's sight line. Right now he's not even getting by the LT so there's zero benefit.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    It doesn't matter one bit if someone is a one trick pony... If they get sacks, that's all that counts. Or even hurries for that matter.

Right now he's not doing anything so that's why he's not worth having out there. His best move last year was the speed move to the outside. Even though he wouldn't get to the QB on some plays, the QB would speed up his delivery because all he seen was Maybin blowing by the LT and out of the QB's sight line. Right now he's not even getting by the LT so there's zero benefit.
    i just don't get why they didn't use coples more on the inside. too many times these qbs avoid the outside rush, step into the pocket and find guys in the middle. coples was supposed to help stop this. play the guy, he can also deflect passes. the giants didn't sit JPP, they groomed him.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i just don't get why they didn't use coples more on the inside. too many times these qbs avoid the outside rush, step into the pocket and find guys in the middle. coples was supposed to help stop this. play the guy, he can also deflect passes. the giants didn't sit JPP, they groomed him.
    Great back to back posts.

Maybin is getting locked up by blockers far too easily this year. Some have said it is because he added too much weight this offseason and isn't as quick, but I read something on Twitter by the JI blogger Chris Nimbley and he said that Maybin told him he dropped down to 245 after bulking up to 250-255 in Training Camp.

We need Maybin's outside speed rush back and we need to get Quinton Coples in on all passing downs. If Maybin can at minimum invite the QB to step up in the pocket, QC, Wilk, and Kenrick Ellis will benefit. Speaking of Ellis, he played better than Pouha on Sunday. I don't think he's better than him quite yet, but Ellis did a great job bull rushing Maurkice Pouncey on passing downs and needs to be out there on most 3rd downs.

It really bothered me that Rex said Coples didn't play much on Sunday because Pittsburgh has such a big offensive line...something along the lines of "we'd rather have a 320 lbs. guy than a 280 lbs. guy." That might be true and all, but why the hell is Marcus Dixon on the field more than Coples? He weighs the same as Coples, gets pushed around on running downs, and is a worse pass rusher than Coples.
    Last edited by Rexipus Rex; 09-18-2012 at 03:17 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe he got a shot a Ben (and missed ofcourse) on the same play Coples wiffed on a sack as well. Other than that didn't notice him.

Hope he turns it around, been dying for a pass rusher since Abe ....... have my #56 Gholston Jersey in the back of my closet as proof

Sent from my LG-P999

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    He wasn't even sniffing ben's jock last week.
    And that's a bad thing!?!?!

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PaPZ187 View Post
    I believe he got a shot a Ben (and missed ofcourse) on the same play Coples wiffed on a sack as well. Other than that didn't notice him.

Hope he turns it around, been dying for a pass rusher since Abe ....... have my #56 Gholston Jersey in the back of my closet as proof

Sent from my LG-P999
    That was Damario Davis who missed Big Ben on that play.. Coples also. Maybin not to be found.