Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Watching ATL's DEF - what happened to us??

All Pro

Watching ATL's DEF - what happened to us??

Seeing the way ATL is moving around at the LOS, shifting base, showing Max pressure... Looked alot like us a couple years ago.

What the hell happened to us? We suck at everything

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

We're old and slow and none of the new guys have done anything to push their way into the lineup and push the old guys out. Pace, Scott, Thomas, Harris, Bell, Landry, Devito, Pouha, they're all in the league over 6 years, most of them in their 9th, 10th, or 11th.

It's a young man's game.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Seeing the way ATL is moving around at the LOS, shifting base, showing Max pressure... Looked alot like us a couple years ago.

Our defense isn't all that special without Revis. I mean really, look at the talent.

Atlanta also has a defense that is all about speed. They have 3 excellent corners (though Grimes is hurt right now) and extremely athletic linebackers. They actually have almost no pass rush to speak of, even with Abraham.

I think they hired Mike Nolan this year, which would explain all of the different look they're showing.

I also think we're playing more vanilla than usual on defense because of Landry. It's a complicated defense, and while Bell played under Nolan in Miami, Landry has never been in a system like this one. We keep him on the field all the time because he's our most talented safety, but he's also the least well-versed in the scheme, except for Bush, who's a rookie.

Yes, we suck. There is no point in watching the season anymore the Pitt game was our Super bowl and we lost...if I were Woody I would call Goodell and ask that we forfeit the season...we don't deserve to even exist...what an embarrassment of a franchise....look at it this way if this franchise ceases to exist it would all of us out of our misery...we would have nothing worry about..

Forfeit the season and move the team Woody!!!!! NoW!!!!!!!

Our D would be 100000X better with Nicholas and Weatherspoon who can run rather than our fossils

I don't care that they don't fit the 3-4 scheme,

The D is fine. Our blitz schemes had free runners on Ben all day, he just is amazing at shaking defenders. If it was Peyton back there instead of Ben, we would have had 7 sacks yesterday.

We needed to run more simulated pressure on Ben, dropping more into coverage on the 3rd and longs, and maybe run some delayed blitzes up the middle rather from the outside to keep him from stepping up in the pocket. You need pressure in his face.

All Pro
    Look, if you watched the game tonight, you know what I'm talking about. I haven't seen our defense even try to fool the opponents lately.

You remember Rex's first year? We had guys walking around the line of scrimmage, 6 guys on the LOS, just begging the center to snap the ball. Now? Just dusty crooked fingers in the dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    We're old and slow and none of the new guys have done anything to push their way into the lineup and push the old guys out. Pace, Scott, Thomas, Harris, Bell, Landry, Devito, Pouha, they're all in the league over 6 years, most of them in their 9th, 10th, or 11th.

It's a young man's game.

SAR I
    Landry is 27, Devito 28.

Abraham is 34, Babineaux 30, Nicholas 29, Samuel 31, Robinson 30

Facts continue to **** up your schtick laced diatribes.

Look, if you watched the game tonight, you know what I'm talking about. I haven't seen our defense even try to fool the opponents lately.

You remember Rex's first year? We had guys walking around the line of scrimmage, 6 guys on the LOS, just begging the center to snap the ball. Now? Just dusty crooked fingers in the dirt.
    Pittsburgh had to call a timeout on a play yesterday where not a single player put their hands down at the LOS, Roethlisberger read it, and called a time out.

I really don't get the complaints about the defense this early in the year.

The Jets dominated last week, I don't count the 4th quarter extended garbage time when the players went into pro bowl mode up 41-7. Sure, they can't let up, but it's week 1.

Yesterday, you just have to tip your cap to Roethlisberger, he's a good QB, and he is one of the toughest to get to, his escapability is almost unfounded, the Jets threw a lot at him, Ben still made plays. The Jets were still strong against the running game, and missing Revis obviously had an impact, but the defense played hard, I thought they got stronger in the 2nd half and started to put it to the Steelers. That 10 minute drive in the 4th quarter, some timely penalties, and the non-fumble call really let the air out of their sails.
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 09-18-2012 at 02:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    The D is fine. Our blitz schemes had free runners on Ben all day, he just is amazing at shaking defenders. If it was Peyton back there instead of Ben, we would have had 7 sacks yesterday.

We needed to run more simulated pressure on Ben, dropping more into coverage on the 3rd and longs, and maybe run some delayed blitzes up the middle rather from the outside to keep him from stepping up in the pocket. You need pressure in his face.
    This. I said it before the game, and I was right; if you get so much as a hand on Ben it better be enough to take him down because he WILL make a play if you don't. That's Benís game. He takes hits like a brick wall and then shrugs them off and hits his receiver.

It's no joke when people say he's a top-tier QB.

Plus I think the Jets are more inclined to run that amoeba D against a passhappy spread Offense like the Pats more so than the Steelers that still like to smash it up in there with the run.

I do agree that the Jets need to mix things up more on 3rd down, and drop more guys in coverage every now and ten to change things up. When a QB see so many guys up at the line milling around, and feels the 5,6, and 7 man rush so often, it's hard to not have a quick trigger finger even when the D drops 7 or 8 into coverage because they still have that quick clock in their head when playing the Jets. You saw it with Sanchez yesterday, as there were a lot of times he threw the ball quicker than he needed to for fear of the blitz.

Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post

Agree with the call for simulated pressure, and coverage on the 3rd and longs, confusing schemes etc. Ben is quite comfortable with the rushers streaking toward him and improvising in the pocket, unlike conventional qb's. There probably wasn't enough variety in the looks the D was giving him to play with his mind and force him into mistakes.

All Pro
    we'd better get 20 sacks this week.

Veteran
    I'm still saying, we have the talent, we lack the passion + aggression. That's the job of the HC.

It's a young man's game.

SAR I
    Honestly SAR is actually correct in a way here in regard to the LBs....pouha is a NT, he doesnt need speed or youth to be effective.

The problem with the defense is that our guys dont have the speed to drop into coverage, so we have a great personnel package that stops a power running game, but after that we cant match up with other teams speed.

If we are going to play pouha and devito as interior lineman, then our LBs and DEs need to be very athletic and we dont have that. Pace and BT are great at setting the edge and taking on blockers, but Bart and Harris cant always clean up, because of their speed. Wilkerson has been great, but I think he needs to be playing with other speed guys to help him out.

Then you get into the short passing game....and our LB/DEs dont have the athleticism to get to the QB or make plays vs the screen. The spiller's of the world consistently kill us as a group because of this.

Unfortunately Rex deserves the blame for this which is very fustrating, however the team addressed this in this draft and got us 2 players to help in this department, but for whatever reason coples and demario arent playing right now. Plus, maybin has struggled getting to the QB, and in all honesty, has been a complete disaster as an OLB.

Miami is a perfect opportunity for us to play our speed guys on defense and get them some experience. With Ellis and pouha we should do well on the interior line, and wilk should be able to really do some damage agasint jonathon martin. Lets take this opportunity to get coples and demario in the game and see if it changes what we can do on defense

It's a young man's game.

SAR I
    Our drafts over the past 3 years have been average at best.

Wilson as a 1st rounder? Vlad as a 2nd? THAT YEAR was a wash.....

We trade away picks like playing cards and the ones we keep, we dont do our homework well enough.

It appears to me that many of the kool aid drinkers on this board played T-Ball and didn't keep score.

Hall Of Fame
    The difference is that we don't have speed in our front 7. Especially on the edges.

And I think we are worse as a 4-3 b.c Wilk and Coples are slow for 4-3 DEs and our LBs are too. So I think we are toying with stuff that might not work.

Still too early to be definitive but they certainly are not meeting expectations yet. Big Ben presented unique problems, I thought we did get a decent rush but unless you bring him down it is for naught. There are only a few guys that are like that.

But one thing that must be corrected is the tackling. Poor tackling will make any defense look bad.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Our drafts over the past 3 years have been average at best.

Wilson as a 1st rounder? Vlad as a 2nd? THAT YEAR was a wash.....

We trade away picks like playing cards and the ones we keep, we dont do our homework well enough.

It appears to me that many of the kool aid drinkers on this board played T-Ball and didn't keep score.
    So wilson and vlad were part of a bad draft....how are jerry hughes, patrick robinson and javid best doing, as they were the 3 people selected after wilson? We all wish wilson turned into deion sanders, but he has been a contributing player since his rookie year, which is far from a bust.

How was last year for you? Wilk, ellis and kerley contributing enough yet?

Banned

Old, slow and soft.