Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are the leaders on this team?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Where are the leaders on this team?

Sad to say, don't think they really exist. When the Steelers turned up the heat yesterday, who stepped up? Nobody. Sanchez gets hit in the head, who got into anyone's face, or laid somebody out? Nobody. Only guy who even tried was Landry. After Holmes dropped about his 4th or 5th passs, did Sanchez get in his face? Of course not, heaven forbid that the Qb show leadership. Sad to say, Tebow might be the only offensive player with any leadership ability, and he saw the field for 3 plays. This is a serious problem on this team, and it has gotten worse the last year and a half. When the going gets tough, the Jets run away.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Um I think this is a little severe but I get your point. Its a concern but Lets wait until they've played one quarter of the season before we slot this team.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    And here come the cliche threads...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I put this in a seperate thread, but the attitude of people like Landry, Holmes, and Bart Scott is atrocious. There is a huge difference between being tough and being a bully and sadly, our defense (and holmes) is nothing more then a bunch of bullies. Talking sh*t and telling everyone how dominant you are after a win isnít toughness. We happen to have a talented group run by an excellent defensive mind, that is going to lead to some great performances. Being a TOUGH player means doing your job during the most difficult situationsÖ.exactly what Antonio Brown did with is catch before getting drilled by landry. That is toughness.

Holmes and Cro making mistakes and immediately looking for a flag, is again, the exact opposite of what a truly tough player does. Great players donít look for a ref to bail them out, they simply execute and make the play themselves and we donít have guys that do that.

Overall, this was just one loss, to a team that should beat a group like what we currently area. For a lot of players this will be a great wakeup call to how hard the NFL is (Hill) and hopefully will show areas where we can improve. But this loss showed exactly how badly a group of guys that is actually a team can beat a group of talented individuals if they donít all come together. Fortunately we have the whole season to get there, but this team has a long way to go.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    section, welcome to 2011.

Unfortunately it is 2012.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't believe you started this thread. I was thinking the same thing this morning.
    Guys like Bart Scott ect. aren't good enough to be leaders!
    Your LEADERS can't miss 10 tackles!
    Your LEADERS can't drop 5 balls!
    Your LEADERS don't let the opposing team SPEAR your players with their helmets without some kind of retaliation.
    Rex has a SOFT TEAM!
    We saw it last year in Baltimore, New England, Philly.
    You can punch this team in the face & they wilt.
    Holmes is a complete disaster, the WORST kind of #1 receiver. Dude got paid & now he's a wussy prima donna.
    Never really bought into the whole Steelers are dirty players, until I saw the helmet spearing going on. That shot on Sanchez in slo mo replay was a OOOOH shot when u see his head snap.
    Refs were HORRIBLE in this game, Jets got the bad PI call but everything else went the other way. Harrison showed numerous holds & grabs on NBC & that dude hates the Jets.
    The bad spot was terrible but they also missed one a lot earlier when the ref spots it on the inside of the line, runs into the middle of the field & moves in 2 feet the other way.
    Rex needs to lead this team.
    I'm not gonna panic but truth is we have soft players, & guys like Scott aren't good enough to show by example.
    Jets need to get some LBs in next years draft & figure out a way to replace Holmes, he's gotta go!
    Last edited by jetster; 09-17-2012 at 11:40 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    > have a bad game on the road against a deep playoff caliber team
    > WE GOTZ NO LEADERS DOE!1!!

wat.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    I can't believe you started this thread. I was thinking the same thing this morning.
    Guys like Bart Scott ect. aren't good enough to be leaders!
    Your LEADERS can't miss 10 tackles!
    Your LEADERS can't drop 5 balls!
    Your LEADERS don't let the opposing team SPEAR your players with their helmets without some kind of retaliation.
    Rex has a SOFT TEAM!
    We saw it last year in Baltimore, New England, Philly.
    You can punch this team in the face & they wilt.
    Holmes is a complete disaster, the WORST kind of #1 receiver. Dude got paid & now he's a wussy prima donna.
    Never really bought into the whole Steelers are dirty players, until I saw the helmet spearing going on. That shot on Sanchez in slo mo replay was a OOOOH shot when u see his head snap.
    Refs were HORRIBLE in this game, Jets got the bad PI call but everything else went the other way. Harrison showed numerous holds & grabs on NBC & that dude hates the Jets.
    The bad spot was terrible but they also missed one a lot earlier when the ref spots it on the inside of the line, runs into the middle of the field & moves in 2 feet the other way.
    Rex needs to lead this team.
    I'm not gonna panick but truth is we have soft players, & guys like Scott aren't good enough to show by example.
    Jets need to get some LBs in next years draft & figure out a way to replace Holmes, he's gotta go!
    So true, and the best part is our best player on D will be benched when Thomas comes back. McIntyre was not perfect, but he was out there hitting people making tackles, ythe only on on d with any passion. Oh yeah he has the teams only 2 sacks. Rex will sit him next game if Thomas is healthy, Thomas is one of Rex's fav's.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The bottom line is that the gold standard for "leadership" on this team has been established as talking big and then not backing it up. Bart Scott and Rex Ryan are the leaders of this team. Ray and sg3 see no problem with this.

Greatest Jets defense of all time.

Oh and you can add to that lack of leadership the spineless coaching staff who decided to play it safe and run the clock out with 52 seconds and two timeouts before the half when getting the ball on the 31 yard line. If anything screamed out to this team that we are scared of the Steelers and we have no faith in this offense to move the ball 35 yards and kick a FG without turning it over then this gutless decision certainly announced that.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Sad to say, don't think they really exist. When the Steelers turned up the heat yesterday, who stepped up? Nobody. Sanchez gets hit in the head, who got into anyone's face, or laid somebody out? Nobody. Only guy who even tried was Landry. After Holmes dropped about his 4th or 5th passs, did Sanchez get in his face? Of course not, heaven forbid that the Qb show leadership. Sad to say, Tebow might be the only offensive player with any leadership ability, and he saw the field for 3 plays. This is a serious problem on this team, and it has gotten worse the last year and a half. When the going gets tough, the Jets run away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    And here come the cliche threads...

1. The Jets top 18 players had a "leadership training" at Woody Johnson's house.

2. Rah Rah promised us 12 wins.

So, no worries.

SAR I

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    The bottom line is that the gold standard for "leadership" on this team has been established as talking big and then not backing it up. Bart Scott and Rex Ryan are the leaders of this team. Ray and sg3 see no problem with this.

Oh and you can add to that lack of leadership the spineless coaching staff who decided to play it safe and run the clock out with 52 seconds and two timeouts before the half when getting the ball on the 31 yard line. If anything screamed out to this team that we are scared of the Steelers and we have no faith in this offense to move the ball 35 yards and kick a FG without turning it over then this gutless decision certainly announced that.
    Obviously, I totally agree with you. Leadership does start at the top. If I hear one more time about how elite this defense is, I'm gonna puke. When the game was still in doubt, our "elite" defense let the Steelers keep the ball for 10 1/2 minutes. That's not elite, it's pathetic. This is one dog whose bark is definitely worse than his bite, and it's fast becoming a joke.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    What about the backup QB? You know, the one who can't throw. He's supposed to be a locker-room Admiral.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

1. The Jets top 18 players had a "leadership training" at Woody Johnson's house.

2. Rah Rah promised us 12 wins.

So, no worries.

SAR I
    Second time, provide the post where I promised 12 wins or STFU.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a problem with the dramatic overreaction from whiny SOJF's like yourself.

That makes me happy about yesterday? Of course not, but a good spaids player knows when to play his cards', agenda driven SOJF's like yourself are obviously clueless and can't wait to lash out miserably.

Save the cliche and innuendo

It was a well played and tough first half, I have no problem going into the locker room at 13-10, that doesn't at all mean the coaching staff doesn't have have faith, it's understanding the team's position, game environment, where they are and their opponent, this wasn't the playoffs, this is week 2 of a new season.

Calling out for leadership after 1 win against a team that was 0-1, in their home opener, with their history, given that the game was impacted by two huge plays, the muffed punt, and the Cro whiff on the Wallace TD is pure crap.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    What about the backup QB? You know, the one who can't throw. He's supposed to be a locker-room Admiral.
    Say what you will about that awful-throwing QB...he would have been more effective (in hindsight of course) on some of those 3rd-down plays.

He showed more fire on his one long run than Sanchez did all day. I know, MS is a Cali guy, that's not his style, whatever. The guy gets hit one time and he's done for the game. You can't play QB in this league and be "done" after one hard hit unless you're a QB that can get the ball out in 3 seconds consistently.

Sanchez is slowly morphing into Chad Pennington. Beat up on the bottom feeders, ***** up every time the big boys are on the field. He is not a leader.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a problem with the dramatic overreaction from whiny SOJF's like yourself.

That makes me happy about yesterday? Of course not, but a good spaids player knows when to play his cards', agenda driven SOJF's like yourself are obviously clueless and can't wait to lash out miserably.

Save the cliche and innuendo

It was a well played and tough first half, I have no problem going into the locker room at 13-10, that doesn't at all mean the coaching staff doesn't have have faith, it's understanding the team's position, game environment, where they are and their opponent, this wasn't the playoffs, this is week 2 of a new season.

Calling out for leadership after 1 win against a team that was 0-1, in their home opener, with their history, given that the game was impacted by two huge plays, the muffed punt, and the Cro whiff on the Wallace TD is pure crap.
    You can't continue to minimize the outcome like that. Fine, take away the muffed punt. What (based on yesterday's game) makes you think the Jets weren't just going to punt it right back? Fine, take away the Wallace TD. What makes you think the final score wouldn't have been 20-10?

You can only point to a handful of plays as "game changers" if the team was playing relatively well outside of those two plays. If the offense was stringing together first downs and the defense was getting off the field on 3rd downs, then you can do that. But the Jets literally did nothing impactful on either side of the ball from the first quarter on.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Second time, provide the post where I promised 12 wins or STFU.
    This is usually the moment that you run and hide until next May at which point you tell us that our Head Coach is Lombardi, our draft has solved all our woes, our roster is The Best In The Last 30 Years, we're destined to win the AFC East enroute to the Super Bowl, and anyone who disagrees with you is a troll.

Why don't you get a clue, do us a favor, and disappear now, save yourself the torture through Halloween. I wish I could tell you that the Jets are going to be good and we could all celebrate your prophesy together as one happy JI family, but it's not going to play that way and you don't like it when things get rough and people speak honestly so it's for the best.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Obviously, I totally agree with you. Leadership does start at the top. If I hear one more time about how elite this defense is, I'm gonna puke. When the game was still in doubt, our "elite" defense let the Steelers keep the ball for 10 1/2 minutes. That's not elite, it's pathetic. This is one dog whose bark is definitely worse than his bite, and it's fast becoming a joke.
    And if I hear one more time that if not for this thing, that thing, or the other thing the defense would have gotten off the field. Yeah, the defense is elite except for <insert laundry list of excuses here>

Sorry but it had nothing to do with the refs calls yesterday. If anything Holmes got the benefit of at least two or three dubious calls. The fact of the matter is that this so called "elite" defense has consistently not managed to get off the field in the biggest spots of the biggest games. We allow huge time consuming drives to our opponents as a matter of course. Team fitness was such an issue last year that Rex felt he needed to tell the veterans to get into shape during the off season. Tackling is abysmal. Instead of wrapping guys up, man after man on the defense is going for the flashy strip and often at the expense of actually making the damned tackle. Where is the accountability?

If it isn't big Ben then it is Tom Brady or Tim f&*king Tebow or <fill in the blank QB> and all we hear for the same group of apologists on here is the same set of tired excuses. A couple of years ago Rex could be counted on the tighten the defense up at halftime. Our adjustments were great during the break. Now it is the other way around. Teams figure us out and pound us in the 2nd half.

Greatest Jets defense in history... sigh... what an effing dope.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    And if I hear one more time that if not for this thing, that thing, or the other thing the defense would have gotten off the field. Yeah, the defense is elite except for <insert laundry list of excuses here>

Sorry but it had nothing to do with the refs calls yesterday. If anything Holmes got the benefit of at least two or three dubious calls. The fact of the matter is that this so called "elite" defense has consistently not managed to get off the field in the biggest spots of the biggest games. We allow huge time consuming drives to our opponents as a matter of course. Team fitness was such an issue last year that Rex felt he needed to tell the veterans to get into shape during the off season. Tackling is abysmal. Instead of wrapping guys up, man after man on the defense is going for the flashy strip and often at the expense of actually making the damned tackle. Where is the accountability?

If it isn't big Ben then it is Tom Brady or Tim f&*king Tebow or <fill in the blank QB> and all we hear for the same group of apologists on here is the same set of tired excuses. A couple of years ago Rex could be counted on the tighten the defense up at halftime. Our adjustments were great during the break. Now it is the other way around. Teams figure us out and pound us in the 2nd half.

Greatest Jets defense in history... sigh... what an effing dope.
    +1

And I'll add, as many others have said, that the team is built incorrectly. You can't win it on defense like the '85 Bears anymore, you win it on offense and hope that your defense doesn't screw it up too badly. We're following the outdated Buddy Ryan script. It's a stupid, anti-establishment strategy from a stupid, anti-establishment head coach.

Making things worse, his four-year project of hand-selecting the right mix of defensive players has backfired. Bunch of guys who are always out of position, can't get to the quarterback, can't wrap-up, can't tackle.

And the icing on the cake is that all this emphasis on the defense and all these high round draft picks burned on "projects" who have the "potential" to become great pass rushers has meant that we've abandoned our offensive needs and have an anemic bunch of nobodies that we've surrounded our quarterback with.

It's a mess. I don't think our problem is leadership; I think it's personnel and strategy. I don't think the players buy-in to what the coaches are asking them to do. We're fans, imagine how they feel. Being told we're going to "ground and pound" when they know we don't have good running backs. Being told we're going to "get to the quarterback" when they know we don't have world-class pass rushers. Reading about their head coach predicting wins and championships when they know they don't have the horses. I don't hate the players. I feel bad for them. They're not to blame.

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 09-17-2012 at 12:09 PM.