Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets are -3 vs. Dolphins

Jets are -3 vs. Dolphins

Would you bet it???

Yes.

A rookie QB isn't going to beat Rex's defense and -3 is really just asking who you think is going to win.

I have no clue how betting works, so I'm not sure if that's good or bad. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    I have no clue how betting works, so I'm not sure if that's good or bad. Anyone care to enlighten me?
    Vegas thinks that the Jets are 6pts better than the LOLphins.

I know the feeling but I believe that means they will beat us by 3 points. So if you bet for the jets with the points and they lose by 2 points you win. Sounds like betting time to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    I know the feeling but I believe that means they will beat us by 3 points. So if you bet for the jets with the points and they lose by 2 points you win. Sounds like betting time to me.
    It's the other way around.

The Jets are -3. The Dolphins are +3.

That means the Jets are 3 point favorites. You're either subtracting 3 from our score or adding 3 to the Dolphins.

Homefield advantage usually accounts for 3 points.

We'd be -6 on a neutral field.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I wouldn't touch this game.

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post

That means the Jets are 3 point favorites. You're either subtracting 3 from our score or adding 3 to the Dolphins.

So, being in the positive is bad? Also, the farther away you get from center (assuming it's a -3 -2 -1 0 +1 +2 +3 system) is progressively better/worse?

Is that about right?

Thanks for the education without being derisive (rare in this place which makes people afraid to ask questions.) Gambling is one of the few vices in this world that never got it's claws into me Not that I haven't enjoyed all the others.

So, being in the positive is bad? Also, the farther away you get from center (assuming it's a -3 -2 -1 0 +1 +2 +3 system) is progressively better/worse?

Is that about right?
    Correct.

New England was -13.5 on Sunday against Arizona. The biggest favorite of the week.

They're +3 against Baltimore next week.

Correct.

New England was -13.5 on Sunday against Arizona. The biggest favorite of the week.

They're +3 against Baltimore next week.
    So, Vegas sees that game as a "pick who you think wins"? Does the -3 home favorite idea apply making this an even match up?

Also, why does positive mean you AREN'T the favorite?

Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    Thanks for the education without being derisive (rare in this place which makes people afraid to ask questions.) Gambling is one of the few vices in this world that never got it's claws into me Not that I haven't enjoyed all the others.
    That's probably a good thing. I stay away from any serious betting involving point spreads. You've got to follow the entire league very closely and you MUST bet on every game, every week. Otherwise, you're just pissing money away.

I want to try it one year, when I've got the money to do so. I've kept track of my picks for the last 3 years: 52, 56, and 51 percent (I only would have made money in 2010). 2 games below .500 so far this year. This was a rough week.

So, Vegas sees that game as a "pick who you think wins"? Does the -3 home favorite idea apply making this an even match up?

Also, why does positive mean you AREN'T the favorite?
    Not exactly, but pretty much. If you like a team to win, you probably think they'll win by at least a FG. Unless you think it's going to be a 23-21 or 10-9 game or something like that.

The favorite is -x because that's the number of points you're subtracting from their score in the bet.

Example:

Philadelphia opened at -3 over Baltimore. The line was bet down to -2.5 by kickoff.

The final score was Philly 24-23 Baltimore.

Depending on when you placed your bet, you would either subtract 3 or 2.5 from Philly's score when determining the outcome of the bet.

For the purposes of betting, the score was:

Philly 21-23 Baltimore, or

Philly 21.5-23 Baltimore

Either way, the people that bet on Baltimore won, even though they lost the game.

Not exactly, but pretty much. If you like a team to win, you probably think they'll win by at least a FG. Unless you think it's going to be a 23-21 or 10-9 game or something like that.

The favorite is -x because that's the number of points you're subtracting from their score in the bet.

Example:

Philadelphia opened at -3 over Baltimore. The line was bet down to -2.5 by kickoff.

The final score was Philly 24-23 Baltimore.

Depending on when you placed your bet, you would either subtract 3 or 2.5 from Philly's score when determining the outcome of the bet.

For the purposes of betting, the score was:

Philly 21-23 Baltimore, or

Philly 21.5-23 Baltimore

Either way, the people that bet on Baltimore won, even though they lost the game.
    Ah, so you're not betting on the team so much as you're betting on the score?

Ah, so you're not betting on the team so much as you're betting on the score?
    You're betting on the team, plus or minus the points.

For Sunday's game, Jets-Dolphins:

You're either betting on the Jets, minus 3 points;

or the Dolphins, plus 3 points.

You're betting on the team, plus or minus the points.

For Sunday's game, Jets-Dolphins:

You're either betting on the Jets, minus 3 points;

or the Dolphins, plus 3 points.
    Hmm. I don't think betting is going to be in my list of skill sets.

Veteran
    Jets -3 is easy money. But, I'll never bet on a Jets game.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Jets 24

Fish - 22

Don't bet it!

All League
    That's probably a good thing. I stay away from any serious betting involving point spreads. You've got to follow the entire league very closely and you MUST bet on every game, every week. Otherwise, you're just pissing money away.

I want to try it one year, when I've got the money to do so. I've kept track of my picks for the last 3 years: 52, 56, and 51 percent (I only would have made money in 2010). 2 games below .500 so far this year. This was a rough week.
    OK...Look here we go..If you want to bet football, stop looking at who is playing who and just look at the points. Your work has been done for you by the bookies, its simple you ONLY bet games that are 3.5 and 5.5, you take the dog and the points..If you bet on certain teams and you think you know more than the bookies you are gonna loose...Go ahead keep track of the games you would win if you bet this system...
    Last edited by jets80; 09-18-2012 at 06:40 AM.

Regarding the Dolphins last game: Do the Raiders suck THAT badly or are the Dolphins a legitimate threat to us in the AFC E?