Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Jets record before bye week?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJCAP2 View Post
    So, how does that means Alex Smith will do well against our secondary?
    With the way the Niners run the ball, he can probably have a decent game. They have some favorable matchups against us in the passing game. Vernon Davis v. whoever we put on him is a bad mismatch. They also should be able to get a guy like Manningham or Moss occasionally lined up on Wilson (or someone lesser). At this point Crabtree has risen his game to the point where you have to think Revis will shadow him. If they can pass protect Smith, he has a chance to have a solid game against us. I don't expect anything huge, but that's not really how they operate anyway. Smith knows his limitations and makes good decisions, he isn't going to pull a Fitzpatrick and hand Cromartie a pick-6.

The bigger issue for us is obviously moving the ball against their D and avoiding turnovers. If we can't do that, Smith won't need to do much.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    +1 SF is the toughest team on our schedule this year. NE proved they are beatable last week. If we can figure out how to stop a RB then we can win the Houston game.
    Since beating the Patriots in the 2010 playoffs, the Jets are 0-7 against teams with a winning/playoff record:

Steelers 24-19
    Ravens 34-17
    Patriots 30-21
    Patriots 37-16
    Broncos 17-13
    Giants 29-14
    Steelers 27-10

Take out the Broncos game, they all follow the same basic script:

Opponents rack up 30 points. Jets can't get close to 20 points. A late score here and there in garbage time. Jets dominated early or for an unusually significant stretch of time. Physical defenses pound the QB. WR's don't get time or don't get open. Can't run the ball consistently. Turnovers. Bad penalties. Delay of game issues. Bad timeouts.

Until the Jets figure out how to avoid being dominated on both sides of the ball, assume that the 49ers, Texans, and Patriots games follow the script. It's been almost 2 years since out last regular season win against an elite team, it's far from a "wrinkle" most definitely a trend.

SAR I

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Since beating the Patriots in the 2010 playoffs, the Jets are 0-7 against teams with a winning/playoff record:

Steelers 24-19
    Ravens 34-17
    Patriots 30-21
    Patriots 37-16
    Broncos 17-13
    Giants 29-14
    Steelers 27-10

Opponents rack up 30 points.

SAR I
    So, that elite, top 5 defense only shows up against garbage teams?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mia - W
    SF - L
    Hou - W
    Indy - W
    NE - L
    Mia - W

Then after
    Sea - L
    Stl - W
    NE - L
    AZ - W
    Jax - W
    TN - W
    SD - L
    Buf -W

10-6 for the season, perhaps a WC....

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Whichfan View Post
    Bills W
    Steelers L

Dolphins L
    49ers L
    Texans L
    Colts W
    Patriots L
    Dolphins W

You can swap the Miami games, but either way, I can't see the Jets sweeping Miami so I don't think I'm too far from reality. 3-5 seems quite realistic right now.

This upcoming game is a must win with the 49ers the week after, but my gut says it will be an L.
    the sequence of wins and losses make a diff. if we lose to the dollphins this week expect the media to knock the wheels off Marks wagon

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    So, that elite, top 5 defense only shows up against garbage teams?
    It's kind of hard to not agree with that.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    5-3.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Steelers 24-19
    Ravens 34-17
    Patriots 30-21
    Patriots 37-16
    Broncos 17-13
    Giants 29-14
    Steelers 27-10

Take out the Broncos game, they all follow the same basic script:

Opponents rack up 30 points. Jets can't get close to 20 points. A late score here and there in garbage time. Jets dominated early or for an unusually significant stretch of time. Physical defenses pound the QB. WR's don't get time or don't get open. Can't run the ball consistently. Turnovers. Bad penalties. Delay of game issues. Bad timeouts.

Until the Jets figure out how to avoid being dominated on both sides of the ball, assume that the 49ers, Texans, and Patriots games follow the script. It's been almost 2 years since out last regular season win against an elite team, it's far from a "wrinkle" most definitely a trend.

SAR I
    SIG Material.............

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's kind of hard to not agree with that.

SAR I
    You can't go only by points given up. The D played very well in several of those listed games only to see the offense turn the ball over and give the other team points. The Ravens and Giants games stand out. The Ravens offense was mostly destroyed by our D and we actually scored points on D. Offense had a slew of turnovers that made the score lopsided. Giants game Eli was a whopping 9-27 with barely 200 yards. You should beat the Giants 10 times out of 10 when that happens. Unfortunately we threw the ball 60 times, barely gained any yards, and turned it over a few times. The D held the Broncos to 10 points and barely 200 yards. Mark threw a pick-6 and couldn't move the offense. Same story as other games I mentioned.

We did have issues with the Pats offense last year, although so did the entire league. Steelers offense has had some success against us too. Once again, we're talking about a perennial 10+ win team and SB contender that gives a lot of teams and Ds trouble. As a rule of thumb, don't ever agree with Tx, it's basically the same as trolling....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    You can't go only by points given up. The D played very well in several of those listed games only to see the offense turn the ball over and give the other team points. The Ravens and Giants games stand out. The Ravens offense was mostly destroyed by our D and we actually scored points on D. Offense had a slew of turnovers that made the score lopsided. Giants game Eli was a whopping 9-27 with barely 200 yards. You should beat the Giants 10 times out of 10 when that happens. Unfortunately we threw the ball 60 times, barely gained any yards, and turned it over a few times. The D held the Broncos to 10 points and barely 200 yards. Mark threw a pick-6 and couldn't move the offense. Same story as other games I mentioned.

We did have issues with the Pats offense last year, although so did the entire league. Steelers offense has had some success against us too. Once again, we're talking about a perennial 10+ win team and SB contender that gives a lot of teams and Ds trouble. As a rule of thumb, don't ever agree with Tx, it's basically the same as trolling....
    OK but we still haven't beaten a team with a winning record. Slice it any which way.....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    OK but we still haven't beaten a team with a winning record. Slice it any which way.....
    I'm predicting 3-5 or 4-4 into the bye, don't get me wrong. Just pointing out that the D played more than well enough to win several of those games.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got'em at 5 and 3 going in to the break....6 and 2 not is not reaching.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post

The problem with 2 of the losses that you cite? An elite defense doesn't give up a 99 yard pass in a must win game. They figure out a way to stop the other team and set up the offense with good field position.

Similarly, an elite D doesn't allow Tim Tebow to march 95 yards against them...once again in a must win, clutch situation.

You can even go back to the 2010 AFC Championship game. Yeah, the offense stunk up the joint in the first half. But when the chips were down, on the 3rd down play late, Rapelsburger was able to complete a pass. Elite defenses force a punt there and give the O one last shot.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    BTW - My prediction is 4-4 at the break. On their way to a 9-7 record.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Porgyman View Post
    The problem with 2 of the losses that you cite? An elite defense doesn't give up a 99 yard pass in a must win game. They figure out a way to stop the other team and set up the offense with good field position.

Similarly, an elite D doesn't allow Tim Tebow to march 95 yards against them...once again in a must win, clutch situation.

You can even go back to the 2010 AFC Championship game. Yeah, the offense stunk up the joint in the first half. But when the chips were down, on the 3rd down play late, Rapelsburger was able to complete a pass. Elite defenses force a punt there and give the O one last shot.
    Every good D has breakdowns and makes mistakes. Jets D has gotten the job done more often than not. The breakdowns seem more glaring because the offense never holds up its end of the bargain. There's no margin for error usually.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I agree with 5-3 maybe 6-2 if we beat the Pats. No way we loose 2 home games in a row vs west teams. Dont care how much people seem to like SF that is a game we should win. They are not a dominate team.
    SF is for real

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    I do not think the lions are any better than the Jets.
    Stafford 5000 yds,Calvin Johnson,the best wide out in the league,suh and a very good def.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jets80 View Post
    I got'em at 5 and 3 going in to the break....6 and 2 not is not reaching.
    Oh, but it is.

If we get to the Bye at 5-3 we should be doing backflips because that would mean we would have beaten one of the three teams better than us for once. 4-4 is likely, 3-5 if we screw up against Miami or Indy, and as we know as Jet fans, that certainly is a reasonable expectation.

Anything less than 4-4 and you can write off any playoff expectations barring some miraculous run.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJCAP2 View Post
    So, how does that means Alex Smith will do well against our secondary?
    I'm not saying he will do amazingly well, but I do think he will manage the game without mistakes and will most likely help his team win the turnover battle. Unless he has a bad day I don't see the trend reversing. He's been smart enough to avoid any other top secondary he has faced dating back to week 9 of last year, I think he will be smart enough to avoid Revis.

What Smith did against the Saints last year, and his poise against the Giants, under those conditions and that tight a game, tells me this kid has arrived. And whatever Harbaugh did to him, he's very confident and mentally tough even though he may not look like it.

So, I don't expect Smith to crumble in the face of the Jets secondary.

Quarterbacks aside, I also expect their D, to demolish this offensive line.
    Last edited by Whichfan; 09-19-2012 at 08:58 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Whichfan View Post
    I'm not saying he will do amazingly well, but I do think he will manage the game without mistakes and will most likely help his team win the turnover battle. Unless he has a bad day I don't see the trend reversing. He's been smart enough to avoid any other top secondary he has faced dating back to week 9 of last year, I think he will be smart enough to avoid Revis.

What Smith did against the Saints last year, and his poise against the Giants, under those conditions and that tight a game, tells me this kid has arrived. And whatever Harbaugh did to him, he's very confident and mentally tough even though he may not look like it.

So, I don't expect Smith to crumble in the face of the Jets secondary.

Quarterbacks aside, I also expect their D, to demolish this offensive line.
    Smith has been able to manage games because his D and running game usually stake him to a lead in which he doesn't have to take unnecessary risks. That's been the case the first 2 games this season and even dating back to last season. It allows him to play smart.

Unless our O can come out and put up some scores on the Niners D early (seems unlikely), Smith will probably be able to play the same type of game against us. And I agree with you, Sanchez better have his head on a swivel that game