Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: News and Tweets 9/18

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Posted Sept. 16, 2012 @ 8:45 p.m. ET

The following quotes are from NFL scouts, coaches and front-office personnel, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

• “If you took the Rams’ roster last year and compared it to the group they have now, you might be surprised just how bad it was. Twenty-four of the 30 players they released are not on rosters right now. That is bad! The coach plays a role in it — no doubt — he has to define what he wants in his players — but a GM has to be able to go find those players. To me, that fell on (former GM) Billy Devaney. Jeff Fisher has cleaned it up fast.”

• “I didn’t expect (Colts GM) Ryan Grigson was going to make as many good moves as he has. Even their waiver claims have been good. I think (VP of football operations) Tommy (Telesco) has been a good infludence on him. Tom’s a pro’s pro. Ryan has more of a bull-in-a-china-shop approach. Tom is a dove. He can steer it and say, 'Let’s run this way instead of bulling through all the crystal.' ”

• “I hope (Oakland GM) Reggie McKenzie does well. He’s a good person. He’s as honest as the day is long.”

• “If any OL coach says he needs more contact to coach better, I call b.s. Offensive linemen can go out in shorts. It all starts with mental prep — knowing who to block — and technique and footwork. It’s so funny though — you get three OL coaches and you can hear three different reasons for why their line is struggling, and usually, only one of them is right.”

• “(Detroit OLT) Jeff Backus is done. If he is playing left tackle all year, the Lions are in trouble. They have to plug Riley Reiff or Jason Fox in there.”

• “Man, Minnesota has a bad roster! Put on the tape — you could run a truck through some of the holes their defense gives up. Matt Kalil has not looked very good early on. I thought he could be a good player coming out (of USC), but I had my concerns. He’s wired a lot differently than his brother — more has been handed to him because of his name and he has not had to work for as much. There’s some entitlement there. … I think the coaching staff already knows their fate after the season.”

• “I give Houston a lot of credit for the way they have built their roster. They have a lot of depth on their team with players that not a lot of teams know about. I like their tight ends a lot.”

• “(Bears rookie DE Shea) McClellin is a high-efffort guy. He has short arms and lacks explosiveness. There is a ceiling for guys like that. He is going to be like the kid in Washington last year (Ryan Kerrigan). He’ll start off playing hot, and as the year goes by, he’ll wear down and go quiet. That’s what happened to Kerrigan last year. All of a sudden his body is not fresh and all that hustle does not get as much. (McClellin) does not have enough in his body. Hustle guys wear down.”

• “I don’t think Roddy White will decline, but I think Julio Jones will catch a lot more balls this year. (Tony Gonzalez’s) production will drop for his age. The Falcons’ offense will be very good if they stay healthy.”

• “When you are missing James Harrison and David DeCastro is on I.R., it does not make your job easy, but the Steelers will always be OK. They are never hurting for long. They have a great blueprint for how to rebuild.”

• “I don’t like where football is going. I don’t know that as many high school kids are playing the game right now. That may not affect the NFL in seven years, but in 15 years, you have a big problem. The commissioner better start looking into it and finding a way to invest more into the development of football programs. It’s a big-picture issue that I don’t think (commissioner) Roger (Goodell) is giving enough attention.”

http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...g-up-rams-mess

Great stuff CMart. Thanks for posting it. Love the unfiltered quotes.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @AdamSchefter: Patriots reached agreement with WR Deion Branch on a contract expected to be signed Wednesday. Branch expected to return to NE this season.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    brady must have cried he didnt have enough weapons.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    brady must have cried he didnt have enough weapons.
    does this mean Welker gets bumped to #4 WR?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    the jets had 22 carries for 90 yards, just over 4 yards/carry. not abysmal.

if you eliminate greene's contributions, the jets ran 11 times for 67 yards, or just over 6 yards/carry. with the passing game not clicking, why not use the runners who were getting the yards? greene had a 2 yard/carry average yet got half the rushing attempts, and probably would have had more if he hadn't been injured.
    Tebow bloated that total with his 23 yd run

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    does this mean Welker gets bumped to #4 WR?
    A Pats fan confirm but I'm sure he'll still be the slot WR.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @MoveTheSticks: Chandler Jones was very disruptive vs Az. Lots of pressure. Great with his hands

@MoveTheSticks: Looking forward to Ravens-Pats game. Chandler Jones vs Michael Oher will be key matchup.
    Last edited by C Mart; 09-18-2012 at 11:13 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Sometimes, you just need a change of scenery. Glad this deal has worked out for both parties.
    Yeah good for him, he was a good dude and all but his hopeless play would eventually have crippled Sanchez. Fresh start for him and so far so good. Happy with Austin Howard's good play

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Yeah good for him, he was a good dude and all but his hopeless play would eventually have crippled Sanchez. Fresh start for him and so far so good. Happy with Austin Howard's good play
    Same. It's great to see that 3 guys got a chance to do it right, and so far it's been fantastic for everyone.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    @MoveTheSticks: Chandler Jones was very disruptive vs Az. Lots of pressure. Great with his hands
    I'll cosign on that one.

Throughout the Preseason and through two regular season games, that is what he does best. He's not really explosive off the snap; he is not really a speed rusher at all. Instead what he does best is when he engages with the lineman. He has a great rip move with his hands and can also bull rush pretty well.

He can make plays in the backfield in the run game, but he isn't very consistent. His pass rushing skills are ahead of his run defense skills, but he has the makings of a guy who will make a few Pro Bowls in his career.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by auctionking View Post
    That's still 4+ ypc removing the 23yd run, better than Greene's abysmal stats.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GandWFan View Post
    Good! I hope he succeeds there. He was not working for us, and his replacement is doing fine. Looks like win-win.
    One game doesn't make a player. He had some decent games with the Jets too.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Much ado about nothing. Probably joking around.

Yes, the scabs have been slow but all in all they have done a good job. Blame the NFL, not the replacement refs.
    Couldn't disagree more.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    A Pats fan confirm but I'm sure he'll still be the slot WR.
    You are correct, Welker will still be in the slot.

If Hernandez didn't go down (Pats had him in the slot much more than traditional TE position), Welker's role would have been significantly reduced.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by auctionking View Post
    that's the point. everyone but greene was getting yardage. yet greene got half the carries.