Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Turn On The Jets Offensive Film Breakdown Jets vs. Steelers

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Greene is a JAG, but you folks are really blowing up Powell's skirt. I thought he was okay at best. But our starting, #1 RB? I don't think so.
    Agreed totally. For a team to decide to be a running Juggernaut and not see the quality of backs we have is bizarre. This regime is too loyal and I'm sure all Rex sees out of Greene is his killer San Diego playoff game. I don't think they trust McKnight but he is about the only one that could make a big play out of the back field. (LT's contribution to this team, even last year has been criminally underrated on these forums.)

All Pro
    [QUOTE=k.Rhodes25;4602145]Basically, our starting RB and WR sucks. Greene has been a disappointment since his rookie season and Holmes has been a disappointment since he got paid.[/QUOTE]

Ummmmm this 100%

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    Are Sanchez's problems due to Holmes?
    Well a good portion of his incompletions came from Holmes' misplays and drops - so the short answer is yes.

I like Holmes okay, but a true #1 is best defined as a guy who always gets open There is no question that Sanchez would be better with that kind of guy - although of course that applies to every QB in the league.

We all make a big deal over 40 times and such, but there should be some Sabermetric-type stat about how OPEN a guy is able to get. Welker was never a real burner - Rice for that matter - and I am sure there are other examples - but they excelled at getting open. If Santonio can't get off press coverage, well, he's going to get a steady diet of it then - and he'll be even less of a #1 than he has been.

I think we're okay at WR - Mark isn't the best at throwing the ball down the field anyway. What Mark really needs is his own Gronkowski - a safety-valve type playmaker that works the short and intermediate routes, even in the center of the field. Keller was kind of that dude back in 2009 - but his own slide-off in playmaking has mirrored Mark's (no coincidence).
    Last edited by adpz; 09-18-2012 at 04:59 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
    yes and no... it doesn't help when your #1 receiver is better saying stupid **** to the media than he is at catching balls that hit him in the numbers.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Agreed totally. For a team to decide to be a running Juggernaut and not see the quality of backs we have is bizarre. This regime is too loyal and I'm sure all Rex sees out of Greene is his killer San Diego playoff game. I don't think they trust McKnight but he is about the only one that could make a big play out of the back field. (LT's contribution to this team, even last year has been criminally underrated on these forums.)
    We spent a half hour during the game talking about this. Either Rex/Tanny are mired in career saving double-speak or astoundingly deluded. These are the best RBs we could find/field since last off season? What?

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    A backs job is to make forward progress wether the hole is there or not it should come like second nature I don't see this in anyone except ironically Tebow.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    Well a good portion of his incompletions came from Holmes' misplays and drops - so the short answer is yes.

I like Holmes okay, but a true #1 is best defined as a guy who always gets open There is no question that Sanchez would be better with that kind of guy - although of course that applies to every QB in the league.

We all make a big deal over 40 times and such, but there should be some Sabermetric-type stat about how OPEN a guy is able to get. Welker was never a real burner - Rice for that matter - and I am sure there are other examples - but they excelled at getting open. If Santonio can't get off press coverage, well, he's going to get a steady diet of it then - and he'll be even less of a #1 than he has been.

I think we're okay at WR - Mark isn't the best at throwing the ball down the field anyway. What Mark really needs is his own Gronkowski - a safety-valve type playmaker that works the short and intermediate routes, even in the center of the field. Keller was kind of that dude back in 2009 - but his own slide-off in playmaking has mirrored Mark's (no coincidence).
    This is where we miss Wayne Chrebet the most right here in your post..... I loved that guy!!!
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 09-18-2012 at 05:18 PM.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Give me Powell or give me death.
    Maybe we're doing this backward.

Give Powell the ball early and often, let him get the defense tired, slow and worn out. Then, late in game switch over to Greene and let him run them over.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    This is where we miss Wayne the most right here in your post!!!
    Lol - as in Wayne Hunter??

All Pro
    Lol - as in Wayne Hunter??
    Ummm no I mean Wayne Chrebet..wise guy

All Pro
    Great analysis--the fact remains that Holmes began dogging his routes last year. He put in little to no effort and thus seldom got separation.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    Maybe we're doing this backward.

Give Powell the ball early and often, let him get the defense tired, slow and worn out. Then, late in game switch over to Greene and let him run them over.
    For sure - this is what we used to do after all - with Jones and Tomlinson.

Powell has some moves, but he still needs to prove that he can carry the ball 20+ times a game and that he can hang onto it. On the bright side, I don't think we really need to anoint a new #1 back. We have three guys that bring different things to the table - and to all reasonable eyes they should be working as a balanced group.

Until our run game makes the defense respect the whole width of the field we aren't going to be able to 'take over' a game on the ground.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Ummm no I mean Wayne Chrebet..wise guy
    Ah - lol!! I didn't stretch my mind that far back. But yes - Chrebet - is a great example to that list. Poor dude took a beating for his efforts - but he was all about getting open.

It seems that nowadays, with the rule changes - and hopefully the real refs back - it should be easier than ever to get open. That Broncos-Falcons game last night looked like a pitch-and-catch college game - guys were open all over the field.

Holmes isn't that guy. Keller isn't and even if he is he's too much $$. Let our outside WR speed open up the field - and for f#$ks sake - let's find a slot guy or a TE or even a RB that can get into that space and make something happen!!! Mark is good enough to be take the plays that are there for the making.

All Pro
    Ah - lol!! I didn't stretch my mind that far back. But yes - Chrebet - is a great example to that list. Poor dude took a beating for his efforts - but he was all about getting open.

It seems that nowadays, with the rule changes - and hopefully the real refs back - it should be easier than ever to get open. That Broncos-Falcons game last night looked like a pitch-and-catch college game - guys were open all over the field.

Holmes isn't that guy. Keller isn't and even if he is he's too much $$. Let our outside WR speed open up the field - and for f#$ks sake - let's find a slot guy or a TE or even a RB that can get into that space and make something happen!!! Mark is good enough to be take the plays that are there for the making.

AMEN!!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    if they replaced holmes with a decent veteran and replaced greene with anyone the offense would be much better. sanchez doesn't want this guy on the team, no qb does, but the jets are married to him right now. clearly they felt the need to force the ball to him at pittsburgh and every week there's another reason to 'give the baby his bottle'.

Veteran
    I usually defend Greene on this board because he hasn't lost a fumble in his past 400 carries or so. But he does kind of remind me of that squirrel coming out of the woods who just needs to run toward your car even though there are so many other places he could go.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    I usually defend Greene on this board because he hasn't lost a fumble in his past 400 carries or so. But he does kind of remind me of that squirrel coming out of the woods who just needs to run toward your car even though there are so many other places he could go.
    the nfl has become a league where you need a few big plays each game to win. this means every skill position guy on offense must have the ability to make a big play to maximize the probability of having one. the jets don't get this. they use greene and connor. they think each game should come down to grinding out a first down with 5 minutes left in the game when the other team's defense 'can't take it anymore'. the jets waste 2 positions on guys who are arguably the slowest at their respective positions and collectively comprise the slowest rb tandem in the nfl in the last few decades. then rex sits coples to play dixon. i love the speed that rex claims they addressed this offseason!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    the nfl has become a league where you need a few big plays each game to win. this means every skill position guy on offense must have the ability to make a big play to maximize the probability of having one. the jets don't get this. they use greene and connor. they think each game should come down to grinding out a first down with 5 minutes left in the game when the other team's defense 'can't take it anymore'. the jets waste 2 positions on guys who are arguably the slowest at their respective positions and collectively comprise the slowest rb tandem in the nfl in the last few decades. then rex sits coples to play dixon. i love the speed that rex claims they addressed this offseason!
    don't forget the speedy rookie LB Davis ... he played about a handful of snaps!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Great post, awesome site, I have never been there before.

The still frame of greene's run could literally make me cry....how the team hasnt gone to powell is beyond comprehension.
    Greene and Holmes really crapped the bed on this one. Put in Powell instead and start targetting other receivers starting with Kerley, Hill also needs to toughen up

Hall Of Fame
    @nyjetscap: Watched some more footage of the #Jets game last week. Holmes is going to be a problem if this happens again. Terrible demeanor towards QB