Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Hampur FISHING and FISH Thread (tm)

The Official Hampur FISHING and FISH Thread (tm)

At my good friend Fishhooked's suggestion, I think it's a great idea to have a thread on the brilliantly fun and engaging passtime, for all of us who partake.

Personally, due to life and work constraints, I've been FAR less active of late than I'd like, and the few times I've been out I've struckout rather horribly, so I sadly have no recent pictures or stories of note to share to start us off.

But I'm guessing Fishhooked has a good tale or pic to share, right brofist?

EDIT: I will add this, looking at the pics posted int he Steelers game thread, I see alot of "self-taken" Fish pics, and I too have had to rely on that far too often in my own fishing documentation photography. Are we all friendless losers, or is it that we only catch the good fish when no one else is there to take the picture?? Every good-sized fish picture I got, I had to self-take, lol.
    Last edited by Warfish; 09-19-2012 at 10:38 AM.

Lake trout: live bait or not. Wobblers or shiners?

All League
    I don't fish. Never understood the allure of it. In seriousness, what is the thrill?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    Lake trout: live bait or not. Wobblers or shiners?
    We used to use spoons with either planer boards or downriggers depending on where the fish were (time of year). That was on Seneca lake (fingers lakes) and we used to get some monsters.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    I don't fish. Never understood the allure of it. In seriousness, what is the thrill?
    You would have to try it (and have a good day) to understand. People generally like hanging out by the water, whether boating, skiing, or just hanging on the beach. It's just another form of entertainment while on the water.

Kingfish *****es

Cobia

Most times it's me and dog, new (old) boat

Me peeing in a manatee's mouth

I have a 23' Walkaround. I keep it in a slip from March the the end of Nov. fishing for Stripers, Fluke, Tog, Seabass.... sometimes tuna and shark as well.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Do you golf? Its essentially the same thing, minus the exercise part.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I went fishing once -- ONCE! -- in the tame waters right off Sandy Hook, and I caught a damn shark. It was a small sand shark, probably 2 feet long, but to me it was a monster from the deep. If I didn't catch it, it probably would have smashed into our boat, tipped is over, and ate us alive.

I decide to retire after that. I knew I could never again reach such a pinnacle in angling.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 1greenNUT View Post

Kingfish *****es

Cobia

Cool dog. The peeing in the manatees mouf makes me think your back on the drugs again.

Jets Insider VIP
    I've posted this pic before and told the story of Memorial Day Weekend 2011 or "The Doormats That Wouldn't Stop Biting." Me on the right. Sadly I didn't get to do nearly as much fluking this past summer as I wanted. For me, fishing is pretty much 6-8 hours and golf is usually under 4 (depending on the tee time). The wife kinda forced me to choose the lesser of two parental evils.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    You would have to try it (and have a good day) to understand. People generally like hanging out by the water, whether boating, skiing, or just hanging on the beach. It's just another form of entertainment while on the water.
    I love to hang on the beach, I prefer to just sit with my drink, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Do you golf? Its essentially the same thing, minus the exercise part.
    Ha, no, no golf. Never understood that one, either. Golfing, to me, seems like corporate brown-nosing.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    At my good friend Fishhooked's suggestion, I think it's a great idea to have a thread on the brilliantly fun and engaging passtime, for all of us who partake.

Personally, due to life and work constraints, I've been FAR less active of late than I'd like, and the few times I've been out I've struckout rather horribly, so I sadly have no recent pictures or stories of note to share to start us off.

But I'm guessing Fishhooked has a good tale or pic to share, right brofist?

EDIT: I will add this, looking at the pics posted int he Steelers game thread, I see alot of "self-taken" Fish pics, and I too have had to rely on that far too often in my own fishing documentation photography. Are we all friendless losers, or is it that we only catch the good fish when no one else is there to take the picture?? Every good-sized fish picture I got, I had to self-take, lol.

Great idea and thanks for picking up the momentum that I slacked off on :brofish:

Sadly, I do most of my fishing alone, because I am kind of a loner, and no one else wants to get up at the insane hour that I do in order to fish with me. Frankly fishing with me isnt all that much fun, so I guess I can't blame them.

Fishing is one of those things that you almost have to pick up when you're real young, it seems. Most people who fish now were shown how by a parent, uncle, etc, and it just kinda 'sticks'. I've been doing it since I was 5, and had the advantage of living a couple of blocks away from a park pond.

Nothing fancy, just fishing for sunnies, white perch, carp, etc. But it has always stayed with me through all these years though.

Quote Originally Posted by 1greenNUT View Post

Kingfish *****es

Cobia

Blocked at work, but Im definitely jealous of the fishing where you live
    (not so much urinating on a sea cow)

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    I went fishing once -- ONCE!
    Was that a 'Johnny Dangerously' reference?

Veteran
    Lots of people fish in a pond behind our house. Not sure why, though, since it's not a big pond and the local golf course owns the land. The pond isn't on the course and it's pretty secluded, but someone said that the chemicals from the course wash into the pond. Who knows if that's true.

One question for you fishers: Do you keep the fish you catch? Or do you throw them back in?

I'm thinking it would be fun to fish and then bring home the fish for dinner. But I've heard that the fun is in the catching and you're not supposed to keep them.

If this is a stupid question from a non-fishing person, oh well. It's the hampur.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star Lady View Post
    One question for you fishers: Do you keep the fish you catch? Or do you throw them back in?
    I catch-and-release everything. I have no need to kill what I catch, and tossing them back allows them to keep on growing, to ******** and make more fishbabies, and geenrally serves a better purpose than yet another food item for me to scarf down.

If this is a stupid question from a non-fishing person, oh well. It's the hampur.
    It's not a stupid question at all. It's a personal decision by the fisherman. Selective, responsible, legal harvest of food fish for eating is perfectly acceptable as well. It's part of our species history and tradition, and as long as you don't waste the fish you kill (i.e. kill it, then toss it in the trash or the like), it's 100% fine to do so.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star Lady View Post
    Lots of people fish in a pond behind our house. Not sure why, though, since it's not a big pond and the local golf course owns the land. The pond isn't on the course and it's pretty secluded, but someone said that the chemicals from the course wash into the pond. Who knows if that's true.

I'm thinking it would be fun to fish and then bring home the fish for dinner. But I've heard that the fun is in the catching and you're not supposed to keep them.

Ahem. "Anglers."

If the fish reaches/exceeds the size limit, I'll keep it and eat it nice.

All Pro
    I catch-and-release everything. I have no need to kill what I catch, and tossing them back allows them to keep on growing, to ******** and make more fishbabies, and geenrally serves a better purpose than yet another food item for me to scarf down.

It's not a stupid question at all. It's a personal decision by the fisherman. Selective, responsible, legal harvest of food fish for eating is perfectly acceptable as well. It's part of our species history and tradition, and as long as you don't waste the fish you kill (i.e. kill it, then toss it in the trash or the like), it's 100% fine to do so.
    Same here. Catch and release. im sure a few have died after release, but i try to be quik, and gentle with the release. Same rules i follow with my women.

What do you fish for WF? Salt/Fresh?

Jets Insider VIP

I'm the same way, I love fishing, hate cooking.
    The only fish I ever kept was a huge rainbow trout - because I didnt have a camera, so I needed proof that I actually caught it.

Too bad the taxidermist was a hack, it looks nothing like the fish I caught.

Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    What do you fish for WF? Salt/Fresh?
    I live 3 hours+ from the Ocean (I sooooo miss living on Long Island ) so generally it's freshwater, and generally I fish for Channel Catfish, Ictalurus punctatus.

I am also a fan of the lesser-fished-for Sunfishes, like the Rock Bass, Ambloplites rupestris and Warmouth, Lepomis gulosus:

And of course, the usual Largemouth, Crappie and Bluegills/Green Sunfish/Etc. that are about.

In the salt, I generally take whatever I can get off the shore (I am not a boat guy, I'm a shore/dock/pier guy).

But Flounder (of course), Bluefish, Norfolk Spot, Seatrout, Weakfish, Croakers and Stripers are all welcome should I hook one. Rays and Skate, not so much.

I also LOVE going to OC MD to fish the annual Shad run, 2 foot long energy packed minnows that hookup 2-per on every cast for as long as your arms are strong enought o reel um' in. Good times.