Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Official Hampur FISHING and FISH Thread (tm)

All League

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    Nice Largemouth.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    Great pics...I'm jealous.
    Thanks brother.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    This was actually in the Big Cypress nature preserve, if you from around the Homestead area, then I am sure you know where Big Cypress is.

Whats really wild is the first time you put your hands on one, it's like grabbing a piece of armor, those gar are just so tough and super-strong....
    Not from anywhere near Homestead but I've fished the canals there a few times coming and going to the Keys...all kinds of weird non-native stuff in those canals--peacock bass, talapia, oscars. It's like fishing in a tropical fish tank. I saw a dead python in one once that a gator must have got...the thing was bigger around than my thigh. Even dead it scared the crap out of me.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    Not from anywhere near Homestead but I've fished the canals there a few times coming and going to the Keys...all kinds of weird non-native stuff in those canals--peacock bass, talapia, oscars. It's like fishing in a tropical fish tank. I saw a dead python in one once that a gator must have got...the thing was bigger around than my thigh. Even dead it scared the crap out of me.
    I don't doubt it.

Burmese Pythons have become one of the largest invasive species problems in Florida over the last couple of years.

Something else I caught in the canals in Big Cypress is what you just said - Oscars - big ones, they actually put up a great fight. Apparently they are good eating cause alot of the local people from that area actually fish for them specifically.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 10-13-2012 at 05:00 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    I don't doubt it.

Burmese Pythons have become one of the largest invasive species problems in Florida over the last couple of years.

Something else I caught in the canals in Big Cypress is what you just said - Oscars - big ones, they actually put up a great fight. Apparently they are good eating cause alot of the local people that area actually fish for them specifically.
    Those are the same ones they sell for fish tanks, right?
    I had one once, and they will just keep growing depending on the size of your tank. How big do those get anyway in the wild?

They basically remind me of rock bass, and they have the same largemouth bass type of aggressiveness.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Those are the same ones they sell for fish tanks, right?
    I had one once, and they will just keep growing depending on the size of your tank. How big do those get anyway in the wild?

They basically remind me of rock bass, and they have the same largemouth bass type of aggressiveness.
    Yep one and the same.

I would imagine Oscars can grow up to a couple of pounds in the right conditions, but, the biggest one I caught was about 3/4 of a pound.

got the upcoming week off to do some blackfishing !

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by joe willie View Post
    got the upcoming week off to do some blackfishing !
    Ahhh the lightening fast Tautog. One of my favorite fish from up north, I miss catching them.

You gonna use Sand crabs or Green crabs for bait?