Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: So does this team ever pull the plug on Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    I don't know if he's a bust, but I've seen enough that I know I wouldn't have picked him if we could do it over again... Even back then, I thought he was a flawed qb in college and too risky to take at 5.

what I find more interesting is that you weren't flamed for your post...
    Had you written such a thing in the offseason you would have been destroyed, told you are not a real Jets fan, the excuses would have then surfaced...

Sanchez has 4 playoff wins, he gets no support, terrible wr's, bad oline, bad offensive coordinator, bad rb's, etc..

Only now is the majority on this board seeing him for what he is....

Mediocre.
    He's an average NFL quarterback. I've had this sentiment for the last 2 years.
    Not elite, but not mediocre.

The problem is what was the alternative? Kellen Clemens?

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post

You were not gonna sell PSL's with KC.

is this even a debate? a top 5 draft pick in his fourth year is in the lowest tier of starting QBs in the league...of course he is a bust. i hope he improves but after this year we need to look at the QB position

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by jagr68 View Post
    is this even a debate? a top 5 draft pick in his fourth year is in the lowest tier of starting QBs in the league...of course he is a bust. i hope he improves but after this year we need to look at the QB position
    Yeah I heard they are getting rid of Flacco and Ryan as we speak.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

You see that's the thing. Even though I personally don't believe Sanchez will ever be elite, he's my guy. Elite QB's don't come around often. So we have to hope he turns the corner.

Is it possible for Mark to become elite? Yes, absolutely!! But it would take a big turn around. We have to give him this year and most likely next to get it together. If after next season there is no major improvement we are looking to make a big trade or draft a QB.

Rookie
    Consider the other QBs in that 1st round:

Matthew Stafford: Injury prone and can be a bit shaky. He does have a knack for making a clutch play or too. He went ahead of Mark in the first round. Reminds me a bit of Ken O'Brien

Josh Freeman: Had a great rookie year and has done nothing sense.

So I ask you. Is he a bust in the true sense of the word?
    He has more playoff wins than any other Qb in our history.
    He has more 4th quarter comebacks than any other Qb in our history.
    He took us to 2 AFC finals.

When everything is written this facts will place him as the 2nd best Qb we have ever had...

No, he is not a bust...

He has had bad management surrounding him...

Plus...dicking with his receiving corps last year really hurt him...

Jets Insider VIP
    Has Stokes seen this thread yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Yeah I heard they are getting rid of Flacco and Ryan as we speak.
    where in my post did i imply we look at either one of the QBs you mentioned? i broadly said we need to look at other presumably reasonable QB options. (as in the draft, free agency etc.)

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jagr68 View Post
    where in my post did i imply we look at either one of the QBs you mentioned? i broadly said we need to look at other presumably reasonable QB options. (as in the draft, free agency etc.)
    You misunderstood, my mistake.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JetMex View Post
    He has more playoff wins than any other Qb in our history.
    He has more 4th quarter comebacks than any other Qb in our history.
    He took us to 2 AFC finals.

When everything is written this facts will place him as the 2nd best Qb we have ever had...

No, he is not a bust...

He has had bad management surrounding him...

Plus...dicking with his receiving corps last year really hurt him...
    There is some truth here... I am personally tired of the 2 AFC game references from so many JETS fans. Time to move forward.

Heck..the Cardinals and Seahawks got to the SB and nobody is impressed with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    You misunderstood, my mistake.
    whatever, push comes to shove, Sanchez is making elite money for mediocre results. if he turns the page and becomes a great QB..awesome... if not we need to move on. the fact that a thread like this was created speaks volumes in its own right.

No. Wayne Hunter and Santonio Holmes were retarding his progress. Santonio still is.

Mediocre, average, does it really matter?

Ideally you want him to be either so good you never think of replacing him, or so bad that you can do so without ever questioning your actions.

He's just bad or good enough (depending on how you see things) that we are stuck with him for at least 2 more years.

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Mediocre, average, does it really matter?

Ideally you want him to be either so good you never think of replacing him, or so bad that you can do so without ever questioning your actions.

He's just bad or good enough (depending on how you see things) that we are stuck with him for at least 2 more years.
    he's good enough so you don't cut him (salary cap implications ignored here). he's bad enough so you keep trying to upgrade the position.

he is truly an average nfl qb. look at his first two games of this year. and that's actually an improvement over prior years. at least he didn't turn the ball over at pittsburgh. that's commendable.

in fairness to sanchez, though, some other qbs who get a LOT more praise than he does - like flacco and cam newton - have had unimpressive outings. it's not 'fair' that we blast sanchez, yet give guys like newton a pass for his terrible outing last night. the reality is that sanchez isn't as bad as is portrayed and many of these other qbs aren't as good. there is a clear group of elite qbs and then there's a lot of guys like sanchez who are good sometimes and chumps other times.

the reality of this nfl is that either you have a great qb and are competing for a super bowl for 10+ years or you're trying to compensate for having an average one, while trying to draft a great one.

If we agree that Mark Sanchez is not an elite QB than the cast around him has to include some other elite players. Right now the only elite player this team has is Revis but on offense right now there is nobody that scares opposing defenses. A great example of how a great QB can make adjustments is how the Giants managed to move the all ball around to different players and succeed when they were double covering Cruz.

As a poster said this week we need a very good running game to make Sanchez better. Maybe our rookie receivers will get better week after week but we will just have to see about that.

Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    If we agree that Mark Sanchez is not an elite QB than the cast around him has to include some other elite players. Right now the only elite player this team has is Revis but on offense right now there is nobody that scares opposing defenses. A great example of how a great QB can make adjustments is how the Giants managed to move the all ball around to different players and succeed when they were double covering Cruz.

As a poster said this week we need a very good running game to make Sanchez better. Maybe our rookie receivers will get better week after week but we will just have to see about that.
    i agree. but they've spent so many 1st rounders on defense that they've decreased the possibility of getting a top offense player diminishes.

All Pro
    Make u own determination. 4 years ago, what would you have envisioned mark sanchez to be playing like right now?

We can use all the excuses in the world, schotty, bad oline, crappy receivers etc etc. but thats life. Gotta make the best w what u have.

4 years ago, i was hoping for much more then this.

How about you?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Make u own determination. 4 years ago, what would you have envisioned mark sanchez to be playing like right now?

We can use all the excuses in the world, schotty, bad oline, crappy receivers etc etc. but thats life. Gotta make the best w what u have.

4 years ago, i was hoping for much more then this.

How about you?
    Hoping, not expecting.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by bman View Post
    I'm a Sanchez supporter. I think he can be a very good QB. But he is not a game changer yet. He needs a lot of support around him. One thing he can do though is get a spine. You see Eli Manning last night chew out his TE a bit for running the wrong route. You also see Eli on the sidelines talking with his WRs and being a leader. I've never seen this from Sanchez. He's not really a fiery guy. I guarantee REx would show him more faith if Sanchez would start showing some spine.
    Quote Originally Posted by DBAKE View Post
    cant teach somebody to get a spine...

dump this thread.
    Show some spine? Where? He's a tough kid on the field and presumably he was giving a$$holes like Holmes a hard way to go in meetings and practices, so where else does he need to grow a pair? Against the coaching staff?

"The believer is happy, the doubter wise." - Greek Proverb