Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: So does this team ever pull the plug on Sanchez

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    You obviously don't know much either, if you are putting Christian Ponder, Andrew Luck, Matt Cassel, Andy Dalton, Carson Palmer, Matt Schaub, Cam Newton, Josh Freeman, RGIII, Tony Romo, and Jay Cutler ALL ahead of Sanchez...
    Canada, you really think Sanchez is a better QB than Schaub, Romo, Newton and Cassel?

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    ???

He had already thrown the ball IIRC. It was a late and illegal hit. And in any event, it happened quick - not from Mark hanging onto the ball.

You can't have it both ways. You want a guy to try and make plays but then point out his deviation from being a robotic game-manager as a sign of his lack of development. Makes no sense.
    He held the ball far too long for someone to get open and pulled it down like he was going to run. He got close the line of scrimmage and knew he was not going to make it so he ducked and chucked. He lowered his head into that hit IMO and we were lucky to have the drive extended.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Canada, you really think Sanchez is a better QB than Schaub, Romo, Newton and Cassel?
    yes. In that group Newton has the largest upside. Cassel stinks, Romo is Romo, Schaub is a product of his environment.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by kennedy fried Toon View Post
    He held the ball far too long for someone to get open and pulled it down like he was going to run. He got close the line of scrimmage and knew he was not going to make it so he ducked and chucked. He lowered his head into that hit IMO and we were lucky to have the drive extended.
    Fair enough. But as has been pointed out elsewhere, his primary on that play [Santonio] fell down. And it was 3rd down. So - time to make a play.

I just don't think that play in any way supports the Sanchez's-lack-of-development idea. If anything, his tempo, correct reads and ball security have all improved markedly in this young season - even in the loss to PIT.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    yes. In that group Newton has the largest upside. Cassel stinks, Romo is Romo, Schaub is a product of his environment.
    Obviously, you don't watch too many NFL football games.

Sanchez is no where near the QB as those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    Fair enough. But as has been pointed out elsewhere, his primary on that play [Santonio] fell down. And it was 3rd down. So - time to make a play.

I just don't think that play in any way supports the Sanchez's-lack-of-development idea. If anything, his tempo, correct reads and ball security have all improved markedly in this young season - even in the loss to PIT.
    if anything, the pittsburgh game was about a road team that, after the first offensive drive, made absolutely no plays to win a game - in any phase. the defense couldn't get off the field, the offense had no big gainers, special teams made no plays. it was a slow, painful death after halftime. nobody made a play.

Jets Insider VIP

I would take Sanchez over Cassel easily.

Other than that I agree with you.

Jets Insider VIP
    Come on pj, Tebow is not the answer.
    Getting rid of Sanchez next year will be a big cap hit unless they can trade him.

The way Sanchez's extension was structured, he got large guarantees in these 2 years as a sort of indication that he has 2 more years (this year & next) to prove himself and either he's gone or he gets the really big extension.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    I would take Sanchez over Cassel easily.

Too bad no GM or HC would, including Tanny and Rex.

You view is skewed by anti-Patriots hatred.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Getting rid of Sanchez next year will be a big cap hit unless they can trade him.
    The way Sanchez's extension was structured, he got large guarantees in these 2 years as a sort of indication that he has 2 more years (this year & next) to prove himself and either he's gone or he gets the really big extension.
    I thought the contract was structured that the Jets could unload him after the 2012 season?

If you're correct, no way the Jets dump him and get slapped with a huge cap hit.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

He's got 4 TD's vs 1 INT so far and his QB rating is 20 points higher than his career rating. Sanchez has played well, despite the hand he was dealt.

Jets Insider VIP

I really doubt that dude.

Cassel has had as good or better surrounding cast as Mark in his career, and has never won a big game in his life.

He is epitome of game manager, and has no upside left at this point in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    He's got 4 TD's vs 1 INT so far and his QB rating is 20 points higher than his career rating. Sanchez has played well, despite the hand he was dealt.
    +1

let's see how he does at miami this time. i think it's a more important game and not just b/c it's a division game. it's a very winnable game that the jets, and sanchez, need if this regime wants to stay employed by the jets. there's no shame in starting out 2-2 if they lose to the steelers and niners but going 1-3 with houston coming to town could be the beginning of the end. if the jets can't beat the dolphins then they basically need to blow up the team.

All Pro

Obviously you are just trying to stir the pot again TX, because Cassell has done NOTHING since leaving the Pats, Newton has tremendous upside, but has had one season, Schaub cannot stay on the field long enough to deserve any accolades, and Romo has shown time and again he can't take his team anywhere when it counts.

Now, if you look at Sanchez, he took his team to the AFC Championship his first two seasons (under a HORRENDOUS OC), and, admittedly, had a bad season last year where his turnovers increased....even though his yards and TD passes did too.

So yeah, I do think Sanchez is better. I also watch A LOT of football.

Hey, I don't mind you coming on a Jet website and having fun. But sometimes when you are just trying to stir the pot, it does get annoying

Jets Insider VIP

Clearly Newton & Shaub over Sanchez, but come on Tex, Cassel sucks and is already 30 years old, more than 4 yrs older than Sanchez.

KC would trade Cassel for Sanchez right now and would throw in an extra pic.

All Pro
    I thought the contract was structured that the Jets could unload him after the 2012 season?

If you're correct, no way the Jets dump him and get slapped with a huge cap hit.
    He is correct. The dead money value for next year is over $17 million. He was on the team for two years, given how his contract was set up. What the contract did do is drop its value for the current season for more guaranteed money, and made him (relatively) cuttable in 2014 (still, dead money of almost $5 million)

He was one of the LAST QB's before the change in rookie salary caps. This is the price a franchise paid when drafting someone so high in the position; if by chance they don't work out....

Jets Insider VIP

His original rookie contract was set up that they could dump him after 2012.

To make sure he wasn't butthurt after the half-assed Peyton pursuit, they gave him an extension which essentially pushed back that "make-or-break" year to 2013.

Jets Insider VIP
    ever??

yup, I guarantee it

In about 10 years and after he leads the Jets to three superbowls Mark will be in the 36-37 year old range. His skills will probably seriously decline and after he loses a game to some career never ever franchise against quarterback Kevin Kolb Jr throwing multiple interceptions including a pick six, the Jets will probably be forced to realize that it's time to start his backup

All League
    Sanchez is going to great.

Ever since he got here, he's been f*cked with. It's a friggin shame how he's been treated by the FO, media, and so called "Jets fans." A friggin crime.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Come on pj, Tebow is not the answer.
    I agree but if you get rid of Sanchez after this year then who is the answer? Go back to square one and draft someone?