Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 33 of 33

Thread: The Tape Never Lies: How the Steelers stopped the Jets on third down

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by CTJetsFanII View Post
    Great breakdown C Mart!!!
    By shooting the A gaps, the Steelers also take away the draw option from the shotgun.
    For the life of me, I can't figure out why the Jets don't roll mark out to the trips side (which also happens to be the field side). That would put pressure on the dropping LBs to stop and or come up on the QBs run/pass option and give Mark more options to throw to (instead of the 1 on 1 on the other side).
    HOWEVER, one would think that the hot route on this should be 'Tone slanting behind the blitzing LBs instead of taking a few steps and turning around giving the corner the option to drive on him.
    It wasn't my breakdown it was by Alen Dumonjic under The Tape Never Lies

  2. #22
    Sacks ARE important and the old adage that as long as you get pressure things are okay is false. When you lose from 5 to 10 yards and a down it is far far far tougher to end up with a 1st down than if you were just pressured and got rid of the ball. Sacks also produce turnovers in the form of strip sacks and QB's get hit during a sack and a good smack can hurt the performance of any QB.

    They are especially important against guys that like to scramble around and extend the play. You have to make them pay for doing that. I said before this last game that a key to winning would not just getting to Roths but it was putting him on his ass. The Jets like many other teams failed.

  3. #23
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasper17 View Post


    But...that's...exactly what..it is???

    Shhhhhhh, he's rolling.

  4. #24
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Sacks ARE important and the old adage that as long as you get pressure things are okay is false. When you lose from 5 to 10 yards and a down it is far far far tougher to end up with a 1st down than if you were just pressured and got rid of the ball. Sacks also produce turnovers in the form of strip sacks and QB's get hit during a sack and a good smack can hurt the performance of any QB.

    They are especially important against guys that like to scramble around and extend the play. You have to make them pay for doing that. I said before this last game that a key to winning would not just getting to Roths but it was putting him on his ass. The Jets like many other teams failed.
    Sacks are important. You could argue knockdowns are almost as important. Not pressure.

    Getting the QB on his butt is what makes him feel pressure, and hurry throws. Not having people around him.

  5. #25
    All League
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Fishers, Indiana
    Posts
    4,105
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasper17 View Post


    But...that's...exactly what..it is???

    The difference is that Rex's blitz's tend to send a free DB from 5 to 10 yards back in the defensive backfield.

    Despite the speed, it takes forever (in football terms) for the defender to even get to the line of scrimmage, by then, the O-Line and/or the RB has time to see what's coming and make the block.

    I see this week in and week out from the Jets blitz packages.

  6. #26
    It's amazing how many here think Rex's defense is always in the top 5...year after year, through various schemes of smoke and mirrors. #1 and #3, his first two years here, with the NYJ. And it's the predominate reason for the Jets making it to two AFCCG's.

    It's competition...not only with opposing players battling each other. But also between the CS's. You out coach the opposition, and get out coached at times. And at all times...success...or lack of it...relys on the players executing the schemes.

    Jets have three young inexperienced pups(Wilk-Kenrick-Coples) that will be the starting staples on the DL, for many a years. But these three are only playing together for the first time this season. Kenrick hardly played at all last year. Coples...is just a rookie trying to learn the system. The best of the vets...Pouha, didn't play with them in the preseason, due to back issues. Then you have two new starting safeties in Landry-Bell, being integrated into this D's mix.

    LeBeau has been around some 30 years. Tomlin is 40 y.o., and far removed from once being the youngest HC in the league. The Steelers defense is loaded with 29-35 y.o. players. Who can play LeBeau's defense in their sleep. They are the mentor's for the next generation of players that will take over, when these vets can't hack it anymore.

    With the Jets and their fans...there's been very little patience, and a lack of continuity throughout the years. Many fans are actually pleased, when the Jets do their usual circle-jerk change of regimes, after just a few years. It goes on and on and on. Wandering in the desert like a lost tribe.

    Now the Jets land a coach...who takes over some other HC NYJ's team...and turns the D into a #1. And leads them...to two straight AFCCG's. All with a vastly inexperienced QB, that had only 16 college starts.

    But Rex fails to do so for a 3rd time. Now the fans...massaged by a media with an agenda...to make Rex pay for the Jets playoff failure, and for wanting to get Tebow, for a #2 QB/wildcat package...starts to get the circle-jerk itch again.

    Last year Trent Dilfer wrote an article. Which pointed out that Tom Brady and Peyton Manning both agree...that the team they least want to meet in the playoffs...is the Jets. Why? Cause Ryan's defenses are very aggressive and complex...making it difficult to figure out and successfully attack.

    This year's Jets D has played just two games together. The players are not yet in sync as a unit. With each passing game, the players will get more familiar with each other, and execute their assignments better. By the year's end, the D will be a way more efficient unit. That's the time when Peyton and Brady won't be so happy to see this Jets unit then.

    So if the Jets can make it back to the playoffs...it could be deja-vu...AFCCG...all over again. It's a long season. As for now...a little patience is needed. To see what's gonna happen at the journey's end. IMO...I still see a 10-6 season. And who knows what else.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    How many times did Rex's blitz schemes get free runners on Big Ben? At least 4-5 times they had Ben dead to rights, but he dodged the initial pressure. If PITT had Sanchez or 90% of NFL starting QBs back there rather than Ben, we would have had at least 7 sacks this week.
    +1 Some ignorant guys just love to put the blame on Rex without watching the film. the players need to execute properly as well. The feeble and indisciplined tackling is on them.

  8. #28
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Charm City Region
    Posts
    889
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    The difference is that Rex's blitz's tend to send a free DB from 5 to 10 yards back in the defensive backfield.

    Despite the speed, it takes forever (in football terms) for the defender to even get to the line of scrimmage, by then, the O-Line and/or the RB has time to see what's coming and make the block.

    I see this week in and week out from the Jets blitz packages.
    While I'll agree that's true sometimes, I wont say they tend to do that. Also, I'm pretty sure that isn't Ryan Clark normal alignment.

    While I assume there are plenty of Rex blitzes that have a DB coming from well off the line to try to disguise the pressure, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of some of those blitzes being dogs.

    Meaning that the DB is assigned a Back or TE should they release but will Blitz if they stay in. That way if the offense checks its Back or TE in to try to balance out a 6 man rush, the defender previously assigned that offensive player can blitz to try to give the defense a 7th rusher against 6 blockers.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
    so why we would not play Tebow in that role, even as a 'backup' more often during a game is beyond me, along with being our starting punt protector of course
    i think Rex is saving the Tebow element going ino the playoffs.during the playoffs ( i think the Jets make post-season) almost like Tebow is the X factor winning the AFC Champ and going to the SB

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Sacks are a by-product of pressure.

    Pressure minimizes QB time to go through all progression reads, hurries the throw, and leads to bad decisions.

    You don't need sacks, but you do need pressure.
    Wow. Cant believe it but I actually totally agree with you. People overestimate the importance of sacks. I would much rather have consistent pressure all game than a 3 sack performance with limited pressure the rest of the passing downs.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    It's amazing how many here think Rex's defense is always in the top 5...year after year, through various schemes of smoke and mirrors. #1 and #3, his first two years here, with the NYJ. And it's the predominate reason for the Jets making it to two AFCCG's.

    It's competition...not only with opposing players battling each other. But also between the CS's. You out coach the opposition, and get out coached at times. And at all times...success...or lack of it...relys on the players executing the schemes.

    Jets have three young inexperienced pups(Wilk-Kenrick-Coples) that will be the starting staples on the DL, for many a years. But these three are only playing together for the first time this season. Kenrick hardly played at all last year. Coples...is just a rookie trying to learn the system. The best of the vets...Pouha, didn't play with them in the preseason, due to back issues. Then you have two new starting safeties in Landry-Bell, being integrated into this D's mix.

    LeBeau has been around some 30 years. Tomlin is 40 y.o., and far removed from once being the youngest HC in the league. The Steelers defense is loaded with 29-35 y.o. players. Who can play LeBeau's defense in their sleep. They are the mentor's for the next generation of players that will take over, when these vets can't hack it anymore.

    With the Jets and their fans...there's been very little patience, and a lack of continuity throughout the years. Many fans are actually pleased, when the Jets do their usual circle-jerk change of regimes, after just a few years. It goes on and on and on. Wandering in the desert like a lost tribe.

    Now the Jets land a coach...who takes over some other HC NYJ's team...and turns the D into a #1. And leads them...to two straight AFCCG's. All with a vastly inexperienced QB, that had only 16 college starts.

    But Rex fails to do so for a 3rd time. Now the fans...massaged by a media with an agenda...to make Rex pay for the Jets playoff failure, and for wanting to get Tebow, for a #2 QB/wildcat package...starts to get the circle-jerk itch again.

    Last year Trent Dilfer wrote an article. Which pointed out that Tom Brady and Peyton Manning both agree...that the team they least want to meet in the playoffs...is the Jets. Why? Cause Ryan's defenses are very aggressive and complex...making it difficult to figure out and successfully attack.

    This year's Jets D has played just two games together. The players are not yet in sync as a unit. With each passing game, the players will get more familiar with each other, and execute their assignments better. By the year's end, the D will be a way more efficient unit. That's the time when Peyton and Brady won't be so happy to see this Jets unit then.

    So if the Jets can make it back to the playoffs...it could be deja-vu...AFCCG...all over again. It's a long season. As for now...a little patience is needed. To see what's gonna happen at the journey's end. IMO...I still see a 10-6 season. And who knows what else.
    Wow, great post. Only thing I would add is that the defense was great in the first game. They forced turnover after turnover and gave up a mere 7 points when the game was still in question. Giving up a few garbage touchdowns doesnt bother me at all.

    While the defense wasnt great in week 2, they were certainly good enough to win. The offense didnt help at all as they were massacred in time of possession. I dont care how good your defense is but if you start going over a certain number of snaps the defense will gradually deteriorate. Which is exactly what we saw.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
    so why we would not play Tebow in that role, even as a 'backup' more often during a game is beyond me, along with being our starting punt protector of course
    Your actually comparing Tebow to Keller? Keller is a mismatch with a linebacker and safety...Tebow has never played Tight End...

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    LOL, yep, like its that simple. If our DBs couldn't cover we wouldn't hold most QBs to 50% completions.

    How many slants did Sanchez throw this week? I was thinking he needed to throw more actually.

    I live how people hear or read something, and then just repeat it to death.
    I know, lame as hell. I think we are worse then the browns fans and they really have stuff to lament.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us