Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McKnight > Powell

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

McKnight > Powell

What has Powell exactly shown that he is the clear cut #2 back over McKnight? In 2 years in the preseason, and a few handful of carries, Powell hasn't demonstrated ONE play that has impressed me.

Seriously, this guy has been nothing but a training camp legend. I don't care how good you pass protect, if you can't run the damn ball.

I know people are going to point out is run Vs. Pitt, but he had a clear hole even I can get 10 yards on. He even tripped up on his cutback. He hasn't shown any burst nor explosion at all.

McKnight and Tebow had the two best runs Sunday, and neither one of them got another carry.

McKnight is our closest player we have to a playmaker, we need to start utilizing him as a receiver out of the backfield, and someone to turn the corner, and run off tackle.

McKnight needs the ball in space to be productive. I don't know how our coaching staff doesn't see that, but we have a weapon at the RB slot, the coaching staff just has to find it.

Guys like Ridley, Helu, Forte, Morris, Murray, Green Ellis, Foster, Charles, Hillis, Bradshaw, etc... were lower round picks and have produced. Why haven't we had any luck?
    Last edited by K-Ro 25; 09-19-2012 at 05:09 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont know what you are watching.

Powell has looked really elusive out there in his limited carries. He and McKnight is more of an answer to me than Green and either Mcknight or Powell.

Bottom line though is that I would take either Powell or McKnight over Greene right now.

Hopefully the CS starts to feel the same way.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mcknight has been in the doghouse for years. None of us know why.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last time I check McKnight has ball security problems.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    id like to see powell used more. the kid looks like hes got speed and elusiveness.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby2times View Post
    And BOOM goes the dynamite!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure that McKnight can effectively run between the tackles, and he has had some ball security issues. I'm also not sure how good his pass protection is...

Of course there's a chance McKnight is pretty good-- but Powell has actually demonstrated an extremely well-rounded skill set. Frankly, I'd take more McKnight if it comes at the expense of Greene.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gary Moore>McKnight>Powell

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Powell>Mcknight>Greene

Now what?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    Powell>Mcknight>Greene

Now what?
    when does lawrence phillips get out of jail?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Ro 25 View Post
    What has Powell exactly shown that he is the clear cut #2 back over McKnight? In 2 years in the preseason, and a few handful of carries, Powell hasn't demonstrated ONE play that has impressed me.
    You could argue that the same is true for McKnight. In 3 years (including the preseason), he has yet to have one play from scrimmage that has been overly impressive. He's only had one play of more than 20 yards from scrimmage in his career. He's also fumbled three times in 100 touches - a fumble every 33 times you get the ball is not gonna get it done. Why are you so convinced he's better than Powell?

Until he shows differently on the field, we have Joe McKnight the kick returner and Joe McKnight the running back. The former is one of the best in the league, the latter still has a lot to prove.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So does Greene. He fumbled twice against Buffalo.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want to see more of Powell. Greene can't take his game to the next level and seems robotic out there

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Ro 25 View Post

Seriously, this guy has been nothing but a training camp legend. I don't care how good you pass protect, if you can't run the damn ball.

I know people are going to point out is run Vs. Pitt, but he had a clear hole even I can get 10 yards on. He even tripped up on his cutback. He hasn't shown any burst nor explosion at all.

McKnight and Tebow had the two best runs Sunday, and neither one of them got another carry.

McKnight is our closest player we have to a playmaker, we need to start utilizing him as a receiver out of the backfield, and someone to turn the corner, and run off tackle.

McKnight needs the ball in space to be productive. I don't know how our coaching staff doesn't see that, but we have a weapon at the RB slot, the coaching staff just has to find it.

Guys like Ridley, Helu, Forte, Morris, Murray, Green Ellis, Foster, Charles, Hillis, Bradshaw, etc... were lower round picks and have produced. Why haven't we had any luck?
    Powell beat McKnight out fair and square in the preseason. He practiced better and produced more in preseason games. It really started out as McKnight being the "penciled in" number two RB but McKnight made the coaches liars. He hits the hole harder and is harder to take down after contact. He also did a much better job protecting the football. Powell DESERVED the number 2 role moreso than McKnight. End of story.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    How bout this...

They ALL suck. Should have addressed this position in the offseason. Now we are forced to choose the best of three turds.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think in the steelers game powell had a few good runs. that being said, i think mcknight still should get more carries. i feel like he's the only running back on the roster with game breaking speed.

platoon all three. start with a mix of powell/greene, then mcknight/powell and when the defense is broken down, bring in greene to finish em off.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    I dont know what you are watching.

Powell has looked really elusive out there in his limited carries.
    Agree, Rex is a bonehead if he doesn't give Powell more touches.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    here we are week 3 of the regular season and we are talking about who the starting rb should be?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    McKnight is the best athlete in our backfield, but he doesn't do well in pass protection and the Jets don't like the mental mistakes. Powell doesn't make them and is good in pass protection. Powell would have had a long TD run if it wasn't for Cumberland blowing a block.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    so does Greene and yet he plays ALL the time!