Thread: Initial impressions

Initial impressions

Just subscribed to rewind. Watching the 22 tape, have gotten up to mid way through the 3rd quarter. General thoughts (play by play analysis will be coming at some point, need to catch up on med school stuff first lol):

-Greene has awful vision, leaves tons of yards on the field. CMart posted some on this, but in watching the tape it becomes painfully evident that on most plays (not just open field ones) he under performs relative to the blocking he is getting.

-Sanchez has had three bad throws/choices thus far. Not nearly as bad as I thought it could be.

-The refs were god awful with the PIs in the backfield. We all saw the phantom PI on Taylor, but really that was makeup for the fail that they were on multiple occasions. There are some WWE takedowns going on and you didn't see flags get thrown. Ridiculous.

-Powell looked pretty good. Not saying he is an elite back, but he is a TJ like back where he will produce what you block for him. He has a little more burst and wiggle than TJ did when he was with us. He needs to get more carries.

-Sanchez made Howard look good on a few plays where the youngin made some mental mistakes.

That's all I got for now, I'll have a post up later this week with more in depth stuff. Hope I didn't sound like a tool lol

Jets Insider VIP
    Good post as always mo. Gotta hope that we move on from Greene ASAP.

That is what I've been saying about Greene, guy is so mediocre. Some Jets fans still think hes better than TJ. Guy rarely breaks tackles, he doesn't make anyone miss, and he doesn't have great vision.

Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    That is what I've been saying about Greene, guy is so mediocre. Some Jets fans still think hes better than TJ. Guy rarely breaks tackles, he doesn't make anyone miss, and he doesn't have great vision.
    He likes to cut back in, but that is really all he ever does. He rarely goes off tackle even when the play is designed that way. Greene is best suited to be a bruiser paired with a more balanced runner. By balanced I don't even mean just in the passing game, but rather if the ability to execute varied runs. It's almost like a WR's route tree and how much of it they know. Greene has a couple of runs he can do well (dive plays/up the gut runs and counter move runs to the inside) but that's it. At the end of the game with the lead and a worn out defense these are the runs that become the bread and butter. But that is not the case over the course of the whole game.

Excellent post thank you. It seems that Greene Judy doesn't hit the holes with break away speed. He is def a liability right now

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    He likes to cut back in, but that is really all he ever does. He rarely goes off tackle even when the play is designed that way. Greene is best suited to be a bruiser paired with a more balanced runner. By balanced I don't even mean just in the passing game, but rather if the ability to execute varied runs. It's almost like a WR's route tree and how much of it they know. Greene has a couple of runs he can do well (dive plays/up the gut runs and counter move runs to the inside) but that's it. At the end of the game with the lead and a worn out defense these are the runs that become the bread and butter. But that is not the case over the course of the whole game.
    excellent post.

I have long defended greene on the board but it is impossible to do so any more. Everything in the above post is correct, but I honestly think there is even more to it.

Greene has a reputation as a "bruiser" due to his build, inability to make people miss, and from his best run when he splattered eric weddle all over the SD field. However that run also put out tape on greene that he is going to try to run over people as opposed to juke them, and now safeties are ready for his "big hit", set themselves and take him down. Since the weddle play, when has he EVER run over someone? This isnt brandon jacobs in his prime, this is a 226lb RB. For comparison sake, Arian Foster is listed at 228, is he a "bruiser"?

I dont think the sky is falling on the season by any means and I think our offense is better then people think, but I honestly cannot stand this situation. How many fans, not coaches, but regular people, are there that CLEARLY see huge problems with greene and yet our coaching staff continues to run his stumbling a$$ out there. This isnt MMQBing playcalling or something subjective, this is literally seeing yards left on the field, while our "ground and pound bruiser" cant run around people or over them.

I dont care if its powell, mcknight, ryan grant, or tebow....we cannot continue to do the same things and expect a different outcome, it has to change.

All Pro
    The play where he hurt himself, the safety was the only man to beat and it's off to the races. He doesn't have poor vision. He find the tackler every time, and runs squarely into him.

To me, Greene is what he is, not his fault per se, however, our FO is the real culprit here. How they can give the keys to the Cadillac to Greene and have no alternative RB is ridiculous and begs the question of whether or not these guys know WTF they are doing, really.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    To me, Greene is what he is, not his fault per se, however, our FO is the real culprit here. How they can give the keys to the Cadillac to Greene and have no alternative RB is ridiculous and begs the question of whether or not these guys know WTF they are doing, really.
    again i disagree. until powell and mcknight are proven to stink, it's not logical to conclude this. at the very least, powell and mcknight have shown enough to warrant more touches in the coming weeks, if only to demonstrate they can't improve the offense.

greene was a 3rd rounder, while mcknight and powell were 4th rounders and connor may have been a 5th. the jets have no more invested in greene than they do these other guys. tanny's certainly had his share of hits and misses, but it's difficult for me to blame him for the loss last week when coples, mcknight and powell are sitting in favor of greene and dixon. not many other nfl coaches would make those decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    again i disagree. until powell and mcknight are proven to stink, it's not logical to conclude this. at the very least, powell and mcknight have shown enough to warrant more touches in the coming weeks, if only to demonstrate they can't improve the offense.

greene was a 3rd rounder, while mcknight and powell were 4th rounders and connor may have been a 5th. the jets have no more invested in greene than they do these other guys. tanny's certainly had his share of hits and misses, but it's difficult for me to blame him for the loss last week when coples, mcknight and powell are sitting in favor of greene and dixon. not many other nfl coaches would make those decisions.
    totally agree, put a great OC with this group and you get totally different
    results, Greene helps defenses as much as Sporon, not gonna happen
    with these coaches, this GM, too bad but Rex is exactly like his dad,
    great defense, no offense, at least Rex got that one great post season
    win two years ago in NE, but that probably had more to do with
    Welker and his foot comments than anything else, still the greatest Jet
    victory since Namath SB3, and the only big game the Jets have won
    in 30 plus years.

Practice Squad
    +1000, this was where he shined in the playoffs... end of game, tired defense, weak arm tackling (like our D in the 4th quarter last week)