Thread: Scabwatch: Worst Officiating Calls From Week#2

Jets Insider VIP

Scabwatch: Worst Officiating Calls From Week#2

http://deadspin.com/5944976/theyre-g...es-from-week-2

After a lousy first week in the NFL, replacement officials again came under fire this weekend following trip-ups, missed calls, and general ineptitude. While Roger Goodell testifies to the NFL's increased emphasis on player safety, his continued lockout of union officials reveals the league really doesn't give a damn about the issue. After all, the NFL can add new rules (say, about crack-back blocks) and train the officials about them in the offseason, but if those officials end up locked out, that awareness never sees the playing field anyway.

This week's blunders by replacement officials run a wide gamut. We found more than 50 of them, but omitted acts of general stupidity (like the referee in Jacksonville speaking to the wrong sideline or utterances like "Penalty on #93 Red"). A substantial number of them, though, are of the nature that directly put players at risk. From the missed Golden Tate crack-back that earned him a $21,000 fine to extremely late whistles that put every player on the field in danger, it's impossible to watch the following video and conclude the NFL is doing all in its power to protect its players. In a lockout, after all, agency lies with the NFL. (A breakdown of each clip can be found below the video, and you're encouraged to pause and rewind because each clip is very short.)

Jets Insider VIP
    make sure they continue trhis series when the regular part time used car salesmen return and the Hochillis, Colemans, Winters, Triplettes and the rest of those incompetents get back to screwing up calls by the dozens every week

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    make sure they continue trhis series when the regular part time used car salesmen return and the Hochillis, Colemans, Winters, Triplettes and the rest of those incompetents get back to screwing up calls by the dozens every week
    LOL this. Its going to be great to have the regular refs back so people will remember that they were somewhat equally flawed. This article makes it seem like this is the first time a player was fined for a hit that was not penalized during a game. It happened all the time last year.

I can't wait for the regular refs to come back...I miss the constant pass interference and roughing the passer calls from last year.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJet View Post
    I can't wait for the regular refs to come back...I miss the constant pass interference and roughing the passer calls from last year.
    +1

I don't see the actually drop off in officiating. The only egregiously bad call I saw in last week's games was the non-call against Tate for spearing the Cowboys player in Seattle - and you pretty much saw that every Sunday of every season the past several years. Other than that, how can anyone say these replacement officials are significantly worse than the regular, overpaid officials demanding a pension for part-time employment is beyond me.

Yeah, the regulars have their warts as well... but it's pretty bad when you don't acknowledge that the quarter ended.

Jets Insider VIP
    The main difference is the replacements screw up equally. The regulars are not around to play favorites.

/me looks in general direction of Foxboro

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    +1

I don't see the actually drop off in officiating. The only egregiously bad call I saw in last week's games was the non-call against Tate for spearing the Cowboys player in Seattle - and you pretty much saw that every Sunday of every season the past several years. Other than that, how can anyone say these replacement officials are significantly worse than the regular, overpaid officials demanding a pension for part-time employment is beyond me.
    Did you not see the PI call on PIT against Holmes? You know, the one where the guy never touched Holmes at all?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Did you not see the PI call on PIT against Holmes? You know, the one where the guy never touched Holmes at all?
    It was a makeup call for the 10 other times they held Hill.

There isn't a huge gap between the regular officials and the scabs, but there is a gap for sure.

In last night's game they missed a false start. Lineman literally moved his entire body. In 3 decades of watching football I don't think I've ever seen the refs miss a false start.

Jets Insider VIP
    The new refs did a nice job last night...mostly let the players play

Way better than having half the 3 hours spent announcements and bad calls as it is many weeks with the regular part timer incompetents

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

I think they are doing quite a good job and will only get better. The areas I think they need to work on are to start throwing flags on the skirmishes that are happening to stop them, and get more consistent with PI calls which will come with practice and review. I actually like that they are not calling all the rinky dink defensive holding calls, and they do seem less biased towards certain teams and players.

In regards to the term "scab". it hardly applies here and unions are dinosaurs that have served their purpose and need to go away. The only people that benefit from unions are the union leaders.