Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need to draft a RB in round 1 next year

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Can you offer the board an example of where FA money, spent on a RB was a good move for the team? Do you know how absolutely crippilng deangelo williams contract is?

RB is arguably the LAST position where an allocation of cap space is a smart move. If you have Arian Foster making the league minimum and extend him, I get it....but to let one team put carries and hits on a RB, and then you pay him is simply not smart football business.

As far as the draft next year, as good as Lattimore is, its rare that a 1st round pick is a good value spent on a RB. The guy I actually really like is Stephan Taylor from stanford....pro offense, can catch the ball, pass protect, etc and will be a 2nd-3rd round pick.

Also at the sake of continuing to beat this drum....there is a good chance our RB of the future is sitting on our bench, watching greene run into brandon moores a$$ each week. As shown last night by andre brown, no one knows what you have on the bench with RBs, and Bilal Powell showed burst, and the ability to make guys miss during his senior season. Until the staff realizes that greene has reached his apex and that maybe another player can give us more, then we will never know what we have in powell, and could wind up having to waste a top pick next year, when we could have our starter right here.
    +1

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    You proved my point...thanks again

It's Blunt, Basic and Brutal. You couldn't even copy my sig correctly.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1

Now you are gong to participate in the very thread you knocked, comical.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    we really could have that back in Powell. What's the most carries he's ever had in a game, 9? he's never been able to get into a rythm because Greene is the "the guy" now. If powell can start making more people miss and take advantage of his limited touches, he eventually could be the guy of the future. we'll see how the season pans out, but Powell already has some burst and can pass block -- 2 very important things. I'd like to see what he can do with 20 carries. Though probably won't see it this year, unless Greene misses a game

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Run along..Im done with you...

Go brag about your neighbors or something to keep you occupied

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can you offer the board an example of where FA money, spent on a RB was a good move for the team? Do you know how absolutely crippilng deangelo williams contract is?

RB is arguably the LAST position where an allocation of cap space is a smart move. If you have Arian Foster making the league minimum and extend him, I get it....but to let one team put carries and hits on a RB, and then you pay him is simply not smart football business.

As far as the draft next year, as good as Lattimore is, its rare that a 1st round pick is a good value spent on a RB. The guy I actually really like is Stephan Taylor from stanford....pro offense, can catch the ball, pass protect, etc and will be a 2nd-3rd round pick.

Also at the sake of continuing to beat this drum....there is a good chance our RB of the future is sitting on our bench, watching greene run into brandon moores a$$ each week. As shown last night by andre brown, no one knows what you have on the bench with RBs, and Bilal Powell showed burst, and the ability to make guys miss during his senior season. Until the staff realizes that greene has reached his apex and that maybe another player can give us more, then we will never know what we have in powell, and could wind up having to waste a top pick next year, when we could have our starter right here.
    There have been GREAT RB's, situational backs like Bradshaw or even Foster come to mind drafted in rounds 5 and after in the NFL in the last few years. LOTS of them. Not by us of course... so you are correct.

Except...The JETS cant draft for crap so we wont get one.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    we really could have that back in Powell. What's the most carries he's ever had in a game, 9? he's never been able to get into a rythm because Greene is the "the guy" now. If powell can start making more people miss and take advantage of his limited touches, he eventually could be the guy of the future. we'll see how the season pans out, but Powell already has some burst and can pass block -- 2 very important things. I'd like to see what he can do with 20 carries. Though probably won't see it this year, unless Greene misses a game
    Spot on...

It is so fustrating to watch greene because he has absolutely ZERO upside. He is at his physical peak, has played enough that he wont become more "savy" as a runner, and does not have more room for "development" as he has been a pro for 4 years. Even with a perfectly executed play, he is limited in what he can gain.

Powell may not be the answer, but we have to FIND OUT. The kid has shown shiftiness and more speed the greene, and can hold up in pass protection, so what are we missing? We spent a 4th round pick on this guy, but continue to have greene underachieve.

Loyalty is important for a coach, but never at the expense of production. We drafted an OLB in the 3rd round, Bart saw the writing on the wall, got his a$$ in shape and has had a good year. We drafted RBs in the 4th round in consecutive years, yet greene still has not missed a single carry to one of them, no matter how little he gives us. It is simply bad use of your roster....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Run along..Im done with you...

Go brag about your neighbors or something to keep you occupied

That's a great answer, my neighbors down neck would like a few minutes with you. Brag, from #4, and the last coach to the current players I have not mentioned, no need to brag. Those "midgets" suck don't they?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    ZZZZZZ

Whats next...bragging about your fancy leased car or your Kenmore washer dryer???

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ZZZZZZ

Whats next...bragging about your fancy leased car or your Kenmore washer dryer???

Like I said you might want to correct your sig and quote Rex and his D philosophy properly, it sounds better too.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trade for ben tate....

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nobody cares about my sig...especially me

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nobody cares about my sig...especially me

That sums it all up, misquote the coach, "some fanbase".

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    Trade for ben tate....

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Why would the Texans trade a good back, who makes no money? Isnt that what every team in the league is looking for?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

I get what you are saying, but if Rex is going to insist on being a "ground and pound" team, then we need a premier RB. You can cite many examples of teams without elite RBs that won, but usually those teams have an elite passing game, which Rex does not seem to really care for.

If we are going to rely on the run, we can't just keep investing mid round picks and hope that one of them is a stud. Either pick a 1st rounder or get one in FA.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    I get what you are saying, but if Rex is going to insist on being a "ground and pound" team, then we need a premier RB. You can cite many examples of teams without elite RBs that won, but usually those teams have an elite passing game, which Rex does not seem to really care for.

If we are going to rely on the run, we can't just keep investing mid round picks and hope that one of them is a stud. Either pick a 1st rounder or get one in FA.
    Your wrong. If we are going to be a ground and pound team we need road grading guards. Moore is not what he used to be, and Slausen and brick are not very good at all at run blocking.

If we want to run it all starts with the line. Any NFL caliber RB will be fine if you put him behind a good Runblocking line. If you watch CJ2k, he's nothing this year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why would the Texans trade a good back, who makes no money? Isnt that what every team in the league is looking for?
    They don't need him. They have Arian Foster locked up long term. They wont be able to keep Ben Tate long term as well. So they might as well trade him and get something for him

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    They don't need him. They have Arian Foster locked up long term. They wont be able to keep Ben Tate long term as well. So they might as well trade him and get something for him
    Tate is not going anywhere.

He is under contract (a cheap one) with the Texans and with Foster's history of nagging injuries, Tate is a great insurance policy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    Of course they need him. That team is a legitimate SB contender, what if foster goes down and they dont have tate?

Having 2 elite backs like that is a huge advantage, especially if one of them makes minimal money. Zero chance he gets dealt

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post

Disagree. Neither Thomas Jones or Greene in his rookie year were premier or elite by any stretch of the imagination. The difference is, the line was clicking, and Jones was a guy who got the most he could get out of a play. He didn't bust long runs (except for BUF in '09), but if the hole got him 2 yards, he could turn it into 5 or 6 on occasion. That's what kept the chains moving and successfully produced ground and pound.

What Eagle is saying (and couldn't agree more) is that Powell MAY have the ability to bring to the table what Jones did, which is something Greene has shown he cannot do. Before we talk about whether or not they need to invest any more $$ in the position, let's see if Powell has TJ ability.