Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 92

Thread: Need to draft a RB in round 1 next year

  1. #1
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in the 90's
    Posts
    28,329
    Post Thanks / Like

    Need to draft a RB in round 1 next year

    It's the missing link to the team. Watching Wilson or Williams tonight, just makes me want a speedy RB

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Posts
    16,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don' t need to use a pick that high to get a back. Need OL, first.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,806
    Post Thanks / Like
    Problem is that we will need WR, and LB next year too.

  4. #4
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in the 90's
    Posts
    28,329
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Don' t need to use a pick that high to get a back. Need OL, first.
    Look, we drafted late round RB's, and it has not done a thing for us.

    Look at the RB's take in the first two rounds recently... it helps.

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Posts
    16,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post
    Look, we drafted late round RB's, and it has not done a thing for us.

    Look at the RB's take in the first two rounds recently... it helps.
    Other concerns 1st, who will be on the market?

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    5,617
    Post Thanks / Like


    Although I will say drafting for need is never a good idea. I hope a RB is BPA 1st round whenever we pick in next yr's draft.

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,400
    Post Thanks / Like
    No doubt...a RB needs to be taken with one of our first 2 picks

  8. #8
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Eastchester, NY
    Posts
    1,224
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Don' t need to use a pick that high to get a back. Need OL, first.
    And OLB/DE. Plenty of RB talent in the second and third rounds.

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,641
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post
    It's the missing link to the team. Watching Wilson or Williams tonight, just makes me want a speedy RB
    Watching Wilson? You mean watching Brown? Almost never draft a rb in round one. You can get good ones anywhere. Just sucks we have a bad one in Greene right now

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,895
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post


    Although I will say drafting for need is never a good idea. I hope a RB is BPA 1st round whenever we pick in next yr's draft.
    So do I. Oh man do we need an injection of speed, athleticism, and, power, we need to hit the jackopt for once with a back like Arian Foster, or Terrell Davis (yeah good luck). They came out of nowhere and became great backs. Since we have whiffed time and again to get backs later in the draft, we need to use a 1 or 2 on a good one this April.
    Last edited by ASH_1962; 09-20-2012 at 10:10 PM.

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,133
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nope. Just grab one via free agency. There are plenty out there every year.

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,400
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Watching Wilson? You mean watching Brown? Almost never draft a rb in round one. You can get good ones anywhere. Just sucks we have a bad one in Greene right now
    Disagree...if we are going to be built as a "Ground and Pound" team, we need a Top 10 Rusher...and here is a list of the Top 10 Rushers the last 2 seasons.

    Top 10 Rushers - 2011
    1. MJD - 2nd Round
    2. Ray Rice - 2nd Round
    3. Michael Turner - 5th Round
    4. LeSean McCoy - 2nd Round
    5. Arian Foster - UFA
    6. Frank Gore - 3rd Round
    7. Marshawn Lynch - 1st Round
    8. Willis McGahee - 1st Round
    9. Steven Jackson - 1st Round
    10. Ryan Matthews - 1st Round

    Top 10 Rushers - 2010
    1. Arian Foster - UFA
    2. Jamaal Charles - 3rd Round
    3. Michael Turner - 5th Round
    4. Chris Johnson - 1st Round
    5. MJD - 2nd Round
    6. Adrian Peterson - 1st Round
    7. Rashard Mendenhall - 1st Round
    8. Steven Jackson - 1st Round
    9. Ahmad Bradshaw - 7th Round
    10. Ray Rice - 2nd Round

    So out of the 15 Top 10 Rushers the last 2 years:
    7 were 1st Round Picks (47%)
    3 were 2nd Round Picks (20%)
    2 were 3rd Round Picks (13%)
    3 were lower than 3rd Round Picks (20%)

  13. #13
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Posts
    16,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFreak89 View Post
    Disagree...if we are going to be built as a "Ground and Pound" team, we need a Top 10 Rusher...and here is a list of the Top 10 Rushers the last 2 seasons.

    Top 10 Rushers - 2011
    1. MJD - 2nd Round
    2. Ray Rice - 2nd Round
    3. Michael Turner - 5th Round
    4. LeSean McCoy - 2nd Round
    5. Arian Foster - UFA
    6. Frank Gore - 3rd Round
    7. Marshawn Lynch - 1st Round
    8. Willis McGahee - 1st Round
    9. Steven Jackson - 1st Round
    10. Ryan Matthews - 1st Round

    Top 10 Rushers - 2010
    1. Arian Foster - UFA
    2. Jamaal Charles - 3rd Round
    3. Michael Turner - 5th Round
    4. Chris Johnson - 1st Round
    5. MJD - 2nd Round
    6. Adrian Peterson - 1st Round
    7. Rashard Mendenhall - 1st Round
    8. Steven Jackson - 1st Round
    9. Ahmad Bradshaw - 7th Round
    10. Ray Rice - 2nd Round

    So out of the 15 Top 10 Rushers the last 2 years:
    7 were 1st Round Picks (47%)
    3 were 2nd Round Picks (20%)
    2 were 3rd Round Picks (13%)
    3 were lower than 3rd Round Picks (20%)
    So then it can be just as easily be accomplished without expending the pick.

  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,474
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    So then it can be just as easily be accomplished without expending the pick.
    I don't know how you interpreted his stats that way. The chance of getting a top 10 back is doubled if you take a first rounder. Regardless I'd look at Barrett Jones in the first rather than an RB. Guy is a Damien Woody clone. Excellent right tackle prospect with the ability to play center and guard very well. All depends on the FA class too. Not sure who is available, but RBs tend to come cheaper and still be able to produce.

  15. #15
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Somerville, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    1,487
    Post Thanks / Like
    Give me lattimore or montee ball.

  16. #16
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,400
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    So then it can be just as easily be accomplished without expending the pick.
    Wake up and smell the roses....the Jets operate in a league with a salary cap and right now all of our money is tied up in a 2nd tier WR, and our defense. We don't have the ability to throw cash in the off chance a team decides to let go of a franchise RB.

    Championship teams GROW their talent...they don't BUY their talent.

    I say next draft should be either RB then OLB or OLB then RB; one of those two scenarios.

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Posts
    16,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFreak89 View Post
    Wake up and smell the roses....the Jets operate in a league with a salary cap and right now all of our money is tied up in a 2nd tier WR, and our defense. We don't have the ability to throw cash in the off chance a team decides to let go of a franchise RB.

    Championship teams GROW their talent...they don't BUY their talent.

    I say next draft should be either RB then OLB or OLB then RB; one of those two scenarios.
    We don't know who will be available. The Jets will draft a OL or WR next year 1/2 or 2/1. We don't need a franchise running back. The roses always smell good.

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,926
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    We don't know who will be available. The Jets will draft a OL or WR next year 1/2 or 2/1. We don't need a franchise running back. The roses always smell good.
    Depends on whose available. We're probably set at WR with Holmes, Hill and Kerley next few years though I do think we still need a veteran WR for this year because Hill is learning as a rookie.

    We are absolutely drafting a LB in rd 1 you can take that to the bank. Scott, Pace and BT are all goners after this season plus we still desperately lack a pass rusher.

  19. #19
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,400
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    We don't know who will be available. The Jets will draft a OL or WR next year 1/2 or 2/1. We don't need a franchise running back. The roses always smell good.
    LOL...yes the Jets will use another high draft pick on a WR...over a RB...when we just drafted Hill...if this happens it will certainly be Tanny's last draft

  20. #20
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Posts
    16,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Depends on whose available. We're probably set at WR with Holmes, Hill and Kerley next few years though I do think we still need a veteran WR for this year because Hill is learning as a rookie.

    We are absolutely drafting a LB in rd 1 you can take that to the bank. Scott, Pace and BT are all goners after this season plus we still desperately lack a pass rusher.
    No one agrees more than myself about LB's I have stated in other threads all three are old, however, they are like RB's you don't have to expend your number one pick on them. We will see.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us