Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Need to draft a RB in round 1 next year

Marcus Lattimore or Eddie Lacy

If Marcus Lattimore declares he is the only RB worth a 1st in this upcoming draft. If not I wouldn't jump on anyone else early. If we go crazy and draft Andre Ellington or Montee Ball early my head will explode. If Lattimore doesn't declare we better find a cheap viable FA. Personally I'd rather see more McKnight but if they don't want to play him the options left aren't much better. Here is the short list of the viable FA RBs.

Reggie Bush - Will likely be too high priced.
    Shonn Greene - If he has a good year we can't afford either. If he has a bad year is still 2nd on this list.
    Rashard Mendenhall - Does he have anything left?
    Kevin Smith - Might actually be a good cheap option.
    Rashad Jennings - Has shown some good ability behind a future HOFer.
    Javon Ringer - I'd actually loved him coming out of college but is behind soo much talent.

That is pretty much it unless you count guy no one really wants like Forcett and Bernard Scott.

Veteran
    I'd love a great new rb, but I think our first round pick will be a corner.

Unfortunately.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    If Marcus Lattimore declares he is the only RB worth a 1st in this upcoming draft. If not I wouldn't jump on anyone else early. If we go crazy and draft Andre Ellington or Montee Ball early my head will explode. If Lattimore doesn't declare we better find a cheap viable FA. Personally I'd rather see more McKnight but if they don't want to play him the options left aren't much better. Here is the short list of the viable FA RBs.

Reggie Bush - Will likely be too high priced.
    Shonn Greene - If he has a good year we can't afford either. If he has a bad year is still 2nd on this list.
    Rashard Mendenhall - Does he have anything left?
    Kevin Smith - Might actually be a good cheap option.
    Rashad Jennings - Has shown some good ability behind a future HOFer.
    Javon Ringer - I'd actually loved him coming out of college but is behind soo much talent.

That is pretty much it unless you count guy no one really wants like Forcett and Bernard Scott.
    Ringer may end up taking the starting job if CJ continues his at the pace he's going. I think regardless the Titans will re-sign him.

Not a lot going on in FA, I'd rather draft someone (agree with you on Lattimore) and pair him with McKnight and Powell. Lattimore, Powell, McKnight sounds good to me.

right tackle in the 1st and runningback in the 2nd, possible trade up higher depending on where we pick for the rb or depending what available

Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Ringer may end up taking the starting job if CJ continues his at the pace he's going. I think regardless the Titans will re-sign him.

Not a lot going on in FA, I'd rather draft someone (agree with you on Lattimore) and pair him with McKnight and Powell. Lattimore, Powell, McKnight sounds good to me.
    They drafted Jamie Harper and are paying CJ big money. Ringer is likely not resigning if he is smart.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    Give me lattimore or montee ball.

I really wanted Doug Martin this year.

I think the best value for RBs is the second round now, even late first...somewhere in that 28-50 range.

I don't know if we need a stud, but in 2013 we need an immediate contributor. If we had the pick in that range this year, Doug Martin would've been just what we needed. He might not be the highest potential guy, but he has made an immediate impact and would've legitimized our rushing attack. I still love the Stephen Hill pick, however.

I just think the RB position should've been upgraded this year, even if it weren't a long-term solution. Michael Bush or Peyton Hillis would've been cheap one year remedies over Greene. Shonn Greene is just the worst **** ever.

All League
    wouldn't matter, when was the last time we drafted a good rb? I mean we have drafted, what, 4 rb's in the past 4 years?

and curtiss martin was a third rounder. everytime someone wants a first round running back i just think roger vick (or blair thomas) and say no. riggins was outstanding as was mcneil but i can't think of any first round jet rb's that really made the grade.

Quote Originally Posted by JetFreak89 View Post
    Disagree...if we are going to be built as a "Ground and Pound" team, we need a Top 10 Rusher...and here is a list of the Top 10 Rushers the last 2 seasons.

Top 10 Rushers - 2011
    1. MJD - 2nd Round
    2. Ray Rice - 2nd Round
    3. Michael Turner - 5th Round
    4. LeSean McCoy - 2nd Round
    5. Arian Foster - UFA
    6. Frank Gore - 3rd Round
    7. Marshawn Lynch - 1st Round
    8. Willis McGahee - 1st Round
    9. Steven Jackson - 1st Round
    10. Ryan Matthews - 1st Round

Top 10 Rushers - 2010
    1. Arian Foster - UFA
    2. Jamaal Charles - 3rd Round
    3. Michael Turner - 5th Round
    4. Chris Johnson - 1st Round
    5. MJD - 2nd Round
    6. Adrian Peterson - 1st Round
    7. Rashard Mendenhall - 1st Round
    8. Steven Jackson - 1st Round
    9. Ahmad Bradshaw - 7th Round
    10. Ray Rice - 2nd Round

So out of the 15 Top 10 Rushers the last 2 years:
    7 were 1st Round Picks (47%)
    3 were 2nd Round Picks (20%)
    2 were 3rd Round Picks (13%)
    3 were lower than 3rd Round Picks (20%)

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Ground and "Pound"

Rex taking an offensive player, sans the huge need at QB in '09, in the first round?

Not gonna happen.

Jets Insider VIP
    I have a good idea. Its week 3..the Jets are 1-1...lets give up on the team now and focus on next April...

Worst fanbase in the NFL

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

I would go RB in free agency and not even wait for the draft. The Jets need premium position players on offense at the skill positions. Sign me up for Reggie Bush, even if the team has to overpay.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    I have a good idea. Its week 3..the Jets are 1-1...lets give up on the team now and focus on next April...

Worst fanbase in the NFL

Yes, that's it, no need to discuss let's wait till next March good thing you are not making decisions.

Jets Insider VIP
    ^^^

Example that proves my point ABOVE

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    ^^^

Example that proves my point ABOVE

You are clueless, in football too.

Jets Insider VIP
    You proved my point...thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Rex taking an offensive player, sans the huge need at QB in '09, in the first round?

Not gonna happen.
    Since 06 the jets have drafted 4 offensive players in the first round, and 5 defense. Rex is not in charge of drafting either

Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    I would go RB in free agency and not even wait for the draft. The Jets need premium position players on offense at the skill positions. Sign me up for Reggie Bush, even if the team has to overpay.
    Can you offer the board an example of where FA money, spent on a RB was a good move for the team? Do you know how absolutely crippilng deangelo williams contract is?

RB is arguably the LAST position where an allocation of cap space is a smart move. If you have Arian Foster making the league minimum and extend him, I get it....but to let one team put carries and hits on a RB, and then you pay him is simply not smart football business.

As far as the draft next year, as good as Lattimore is, its rare that a 1st round pick is a good value spent on a RB. The guy I actually really like is Stephan Taylor from stanford....pro offense, can catch the ball, pass protect, etc and will be a 2nd-3rd round pick.

Also at the sake of continuing to beat this drum....there is a good chance our RB of the future is sitting on our bench, watching greene run into brandon moores a$$ each week. As shown last night by andre brown, no one knows what you have on the bench with RBs, and Bilal Powell showed burst, and the ability to make guys miss during his senior season. Until the staff realizes that greene has reached his apex and that maybe another player can give us more, then we will never know what we have in powell, and could wind up having to waste a top pick next year, when we could have our starter right here.