Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rex not using TO's with 1:45 left in the half.....

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    No but anyone who knows anything about football understands there is a huge difference between 1:45 and just over a minute.
    1:03 with 2 TO's and the ball on your own 31 is PLENTY of time to get into, at least, FG range to tie the game.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post
    IT'S HAPPENED MORE THAN ONCE!!!
    It happens probably every other game. It's Rex's philosophy because he doesn't wan't to compound a neutral situation into a bad one and dig themselves a hole. They would rather go into the half in a very close and shortened game rather than up or down another score.

It shows absolutely not faith in Sanchez, or anyone involved in the offense, at all. For as much as I like Rex, he drives me crazy with his neglect of the offense in all aspects, especially addressing personel.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    1:03 with 2 TO's and the ball on your own 31 is PLENTY of time to get into, at least, FG range to tie the game.
    wasted opportunity is what it is. You get a finite number of plays, and to give up an extra drive like that out of fear is shameful, and it sets a tone. No way around that. He said he left it up to Sporano, but he can't delegate something like that.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Does everyone not remember the AFC CHampionship game a few years back

Similar circumstances in that game, and we turned the ball over and the Steelers scored at the end of the 1st half....which essentially was the back breaker

If anything, Rex learned from past mistakes

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post

Similar circumstances in that game, and we turned the ball over and the Steelers scored at the end of the 1st half....which essentially was the back breaker

Simms or Nance mentioned that.

But you can't live in the past. You can't let something that happened 2 seasons ago dictate what you do now.

Not to mention, Polamalu, especially, and Harrison were out.

exactly, there's just no pleasing some people. they will complain no matter what the decision was if it results in something other than their desired outcome.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by tripside View Post
    exactly, there's just no pleasing some people. they will complain no matter what the decision was if it results in something other than their desired outcome.
    Please explain why a team would allow something that happened in a Conference Championship Game 2 years ago dictate what they do in the 2nd game of the regular season?

Let's also not forget that on the ensuing possession in that playoff game, the Jets started on their own...wait for it...31 yard line and proceeded to march down the field for a FG.

The point is, you play to win. You want to play conservative? Then let's get Herm or Mangini back.

Quote Originally Posted by tripside View Post
    It was 1:03, not 1:45. Rex was asked about it and said he expected the defense to come out in prevent so figured he could get a nice chunk of yardage on the draw. Powell was stuffed at the line and pretty much blew up his plan.
    Powell was going to get a nice chunck of yardage on the draw ?

Not a good percentage play here, have him hesitate,
    then run a short route and throw a ten yard pass, like
    he caught against Buffalo.

Rex is definitely challenged offensively, the fact that
    they didn't pull Sanchez after the hit is also concerning,
    I think these guys may actually get schooled by this in new OC
    in Miami, it's really Green Bay South now, it's an offense
    that could work for us, if we had any traditional fullbacks
    on the roster.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    +1

at least take a shot on first down

How annoying is this? Every single time we have time out's, or plenty of time to go down and score, we run one running play, and walk into the tunnel.

It's so ****ing annoying.
    Equals Moronic coaching!!

IT'S HAPPENED MORE THAN ONCE!!!
    This **** has been going on since Herman Edwards, so there's no reason to expect it's going to change...

Lol at the argument that it didn't work 2 years ago in the AFCCG. Really? So **** it, we should only score points in situations we have scored 100% of the time from.. oh wait... that's LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE seeing that in our history, I'm sure we have started from that SAME EXACT position dozens of times, probably more. Don't use the player argument either, because rosters change at an alarming rate. Recognize the fact that you may be in the same EXACT physical situation, but have different results based on an almost incalculable number of variables. But, if you'd like to perpetuate the same results and retain the same state of mind (which manifests itself more or less directly into the physical realm), then you're free to do so. I believe they call it SOJ? Chicken little football
    Last edited by JacksonHtsJetFan; 09-22-2012 at 02:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JacksonHtsJetFan View Post
    Lol at the argument that it didn't work 2 years ago in the AFCCG. Really? So **** it, we should only score points in situations we have scored 100% of the time from.. oh wait... that's LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE seeing that in our history, I'm sure we have started from that SAME EXACT position dozens of times, probably more. Don't use the player argument either, because rosters change at an alarming rate. Recognize the fact that you may be in the same EXACT physical situation, but have different results based on an almost incalculable number of variables. But, if you'd like to perpetuate the same results and retain the same state of mind (which manifests itself more or less directly into the physical realm), then you're free to do so. I believe they call it SOJ? Chicken little football
    Excellent post, Randy Watson (Jackson Heights).

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    I'm glad someone finally brought this up.
    http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=247819

i agree. i think it's fair to debate the topic. but rex's overall philosophy is to not make killer mistakes on offense and then the defense should hold. i think the decision may have been different if the jets were kicking off in the 2nd half, or if they were at home or if it weren't against the steelers.

i don't have any issue with this decision. i just wish the offense would have made some halftime adjustments. that's the biggest issue i have with the game.

All Pro

Does anyone remember the OT loss in Pittsburgh more than a few years ago? Remember what playing it safe did to us then? When will people learn that you can't win playing it safe?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i agree. i think it's fair to debate the topic. but rex's overall philosophy is to not make killer mistakes on offense and then the defense should hold. i think the decision may have been different if the jets were kicking off in the 2nd half, or if they were at home or if it weren't against the steelers.

i don't have any issue with this decision. i just wish the offense would have made some halftime adjustments. that's the biggest issue i have with the game.
    Why does the fact that we were getting the ball in the second half factor into it? Yeah you wouldn't want to score twice in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Why does the fact that we were getting the ball in the second half factor into it? Yeah you wouldn't want to score twice in a row.
    on the road at pittsburgh, i think rex's thought was that it was only a 3 point game, and they were getting the first possession in the 2nd half. if they turned it over and the steelers got a td at the end of the half it would have put them in a hole. and given their offensive struggles in the 2nd quarter it probably was the right move. the offense has some pieces now with hill and kerley but still they didn't have keller and they don't get the rbs involved in the passing game, and most of the targets are new to the team so this offense is still a work in progress. it wasn't a must score situation. the game wasn't lost there. it was lost b/c the offense made no adjustments in the 2nd half and b/c the defense couldn't close the deal on 3rd down.

All Pro
    If only Rex would listen to wisdom from the most unlikely of sources...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf04zlExM8c

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Absurd rationale. Something bad happened to me two years ago therefore I shall never do anything remotely similar.

With that logic, why even make the trip to Pittsburgh. Stay home and rest up for Miami. We only lose in the state of Pennsylvania anyway.