Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 70G Apology

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like

70G Apology

The apology tour continues but it only cost taxpayers 70 grand this time...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...ti-islam-film/

State Department spending $70G on Pakistan ads denouncing anti-Islam film

The American Embassy in Islamabad, in a bid to tamp down public rage over the anti-Islam film produced in the U.S., is spending $70,000 to air an ad on Pakistani television that features President Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton denouncing the video.

The State Department said Thursday the embassy had compiled brief clips of Obama and Clinton rejecting the contents of the movie and extolling American tolerance for all religions into a 30-second public service announcement that is running on seven Pakistani networks. Obama and Clinton's comments, which are from previous public events in Washington, are in English but subtitled in Urdu, the main Pakistani language.

Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said the aim was to get the messages to the widest possible audience in Pakistan, where tens of thousands of protestors angry about the film tried to reach the U.S. embassy before being turned back by Pakistani police. She said embassy staffers had decided the ads were the best way to spread the word. The seven networks have a potential audience of 90 million people, she added.

"The sense was that this particular aspect of the president and the secretary's message needed to be heard by more Pakistanis than had heard, and that this was an effective way to get that message out," Nuland told reporters in Washington. The ads are not running in other countries, she said.

In the ad, Obama is seen talking about America's tradition of religious tolerance and Clinton is seen saying that the U.S. government had nothing to do with the video that contains vulgar depiction of the Prophet Muhammad.

"We absolutely reject its content and message," Clinton says in the advertisement.

A caption on the ad reads: "Paid Content" and it ends with the seal of the American Embassy in Islamabad.

Nuland said it was common practice to pay to air public service announcements in Pakistan and noted that the embassy there had done it at least one other time, in the aftermath of a deadly 2005 earthquake that hit the country.

In an email sent after the ads began running Thursday, the embassy in Islamabad also distributed a link to video of ordinary Americans condemning the anti-Islam film, which appeared on YouTube.

Nuland said that some of the comments on the video had been solicited by the U.S. government from religious leaders and other prominent people in order to demonstrate that anti-Muslim sentiment is not widely shared in the United States.

In an interview with The Associated Press, Pakistani Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar defended her government's decision to declare Friday a holiday to allow people to peacefully protest the video. She said the so-called "day of loving the prophet" would motivate the peaceful majority to demonstrate their love for Muhammad and not allow extremists to turn it into a show of anger against the United States.

"We are very confident this will lessen the violence," Khar said. But, she acknowledged: "There will always be elements that will try to take advantage of these things."

I'm sure this will calm the savages.....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    What are the wars in the MENA costing us? Money spent on peace has a better ROI.

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    What are the wars in the MENA costing us? Money spent on peace has a better ROI.
    What's next, Eric Holder handing over the film maker for exercising his right to free speech?

Obumbles and Thunder Thighs groveling at the feet of these unwashed savages..

How f-ing embarrassing.....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanPatsFan View Post
    What's next, Eric Holder handing over the film maker for exercising his right to free speech?

Obumbles and Thunder Thighs groveling at the feet of these unwashed savages..

How f-ing embarrassing.....
    OK, let's provide you with a rifle, deuce gear, boots and a helmet......

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If that 70k stops one Afghani from killing an American soldier, it's worth it.

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    No thanks. I'll just bend over and kiss their asses like the current Ass-Kisser-In-Chief...

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBlitz View Post
    It won't. You can't reason with irrational 8th century tribal azzholes...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanPatsFan View Post
    It won't. You can't reason with irrational 8th century tribal azzholes...
    I would venture to guess that not every single Afghani is an irrational 8th century tribal azzhole... but enough are that we should that place today - agreed?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Granted 70k in the grander scheme of things is a drop in the bucket. But here's an idea why not pull our people out of there, and rescind the 7.5 billion in annual aid Obama signed into effect in 09.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The apology.
    Then today, the Pakistan government had a holiday for workers so they could protest against the U.S.
    The GOOD news. 17 dead Pakistanis today in riots.

Overall, the Moslems are killing each other in droves. That's great news. In Libya, Palistan, Afghanistan, Egypt, Iraq and especially in Syria. The more the merrier. I couldn't care less about the human tragedy. BS.
    They ALL hate us regardlesss of what Obama says. The more of them die the fewer to try and kill us.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBlitz View Post
    Same justification used for spending billions over there in the first place.

For people who cry about how much we need to understand their perspective, it's funny that they don't seem to understand that apologizing to the violently insane is taken as a sign of weakness, and only further endangers lives by emboldening this kind of behavior.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Same justification used for spending billions over there in the first place.

For people who cry about how much we need to understand their perspective, it's funny that they don't seem to understand that apologizing to the violently insane is taken as a sign of weakness, and only further endangers lives by emboldening this kind of behavior.
    Iran close to having nuclear bomb - Netanyahu in 1992
    http://www.juancole.com/2012/09/neta...lear-bomb.html

Pot/Kettle

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can the Obuttocks' administration possibly shred the Constitution any more?!

I still can't get that image out of my head of his jack-booted thugs hauling in the director of that movie for questioning. My God - what has happened to this country? Its like Red Dawn!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    And this post just doesn't even make a lick of sense

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    No bullets allowed some muslim may get hurt as per Obama!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post

I still can't get that image out of my head of his jack-booted thugs hauling in the director of that movie for questioning. My God - what has happened to this country? Its like Red Dawn!
    How about Muslim Dawn!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post

Everything is exactly the same as it was 4 years ago, Diane.

Stop being such a drama queen. It's beneath you.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    And this post just doesn't even make a lick of sense
    He started singing that song in 1992. 20 years later still not a hit....Pot/Kettle

Talk about being savage......
    Last edited by Jetdawgg; 09-21-2012 at 07:07 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4605392]Everything is exactly the same as it was 4 years ago, Diane.

Stop being such a drama queen. It's beneath you.[/QUOTE]
    I'm sure you mean 15 yeas ago.
    http://www.planetaryhq.com/elian4.jpg

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by acepepe View Post
    QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4605392]Everything is exactly the same as it was 4 years ago, Diane.

Stop being such a drama queen. It's beneath you.
    I'm sure you mean 15 yeas ago.
    http://www.planetaryhq.com/elian4.jpg[/QUOTE]

STAT!!

Sent from my Double-Wide using Semaphore...