Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets need a Steve Smith type good article

Jets need a Steve Smith type good article

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP)
    Panthers receiver Steve Smith says he'' lit into'' Cam Newton about his actions on the sideline when the young quarterback was replaced late in the fourth quarter of Thursday night's 36-7 blowout loss to the New York Giants.

As a team captain and the elder statesman of the team, Smith felt something needed to be said to the 23-year old Newton about the importance of remaining positive and better handling adversity.

''I don't want to be passive and not do it because if I don't do it, who will?'' Smith said. ''The same way with my son, I can't expect somebody else (to do that). So yeah, I lit into him because I thought it was an opportunity for him to see and understand what was going on. This is more than about playing football. It's about becoming a man and understanding what this is.''

Newton declined comment through the team's public relations staff. The team said he isn't speaking until next Wednesday.

Players have the weekend off.

Coach Ron Rivera lifted Newton in the fourth quarter against the Giants after his third interception with Carolina trailing by 26 points. Rivera said he took out Newton because the game was out of hand.

After Newton was replaced by Anderson, Smith spoke to Newton on the bench because he felt he was sulking over the impending loss.

WHO SETS THE CURVE?
    Check out the FOXiest fans from stadiums across the country and tweet us your photo.
    ''I said, `Get up and learn from this,''' Smith said. ''I watched DA (Anderson) and Jimmy (Clausen) observe from the sidelines the last 20-something games and try to get mental reps. This is an opportunity for you to get some mental reps. Don't just sit on the bench and sulk. I know you feel bad, but that isn't going to help us.''

It's the second straight year teammates have questioned Newton's demeanor on the sideline.

Last year offensive linemen Ryan Kalil and Jordan Gross both spoke to Newton in private about the importance of not getting down during a game.

''It's about not missing an opportunity to give him some advice that maybe I didn't listen to (when I was young) or maybe nobody told me,'' said the 32-year-old Smith.

LET'S GET NUTS!
    NFL fans are a special breed, and they their bring their own brand of craziness on game day.
    Smith said former Panthers wide receiver Ricky Proehl ''did it to me a few times and maybe he was more subtle than I was. But you know what, if I sit back and say, `Oh look at Cam over there sulking,' or `look at this, or look at that' that's not going to do anything. I told him this is an opportunity for you to learn from this.''

Rivera said he'll probably have a talk with Newton but wouldn't discuss what the conversation will be about.

Rivera knows Newton is an emotional player and said there's a ''fine line'' to walk between maintaining his burning desire to win and keeping his emotions in check.

''You look at things like, well, if something positive happens do you want to hide the emotions? And if something negative happens do we want to hide the emotions?'' Rivera said.

Gross, a longtime teammate of Smith's at Utah and with the Panthers, said he doesn't have a problem with Newton's demeanor. And he didn't think anything needed to be said about Newton outside of the locker room.

''Cam wears his heart on his sleeve and you know how he's feeling based on his actions,'' Gross said. ''He wants to win as much as anybody, and when we don't he takes it to heart. I would like any of my teammates, if they're upset about things, to talk it out with us in the locker room, and know that we're all in it together.''

Smith knows he might take some criticism for calling out Newton, but doesn't care. Smith said he hopes the lesson will pay off for Newton down the road when he's retired and the quarterback is setting NFL records.

''If this is something wrong for saying that, well, I'd rather be wrong and one day during his long career he goes, `Ah, I hated to hear that, but maybe that's what Smitty was talking about,''' Smith said.

Smith is one of a kind. My favourite player.

INT- JETS LOCKER ROOM

Reporter

Santonio..Mark seemed really down on the sidelines, considering you were once a team captain.. Did you think to say something to him about his actions he shows the team?

Santonio

No.

End.

Quote Originally Posted by titanbuoy View Post

Beast! Reminds me a lot of Laverneous Coles, really liked his toughness, while we had him here.

Hall Of Fame
    Cam has been living a charmed life since he entered the NFL. Looks like the league has caught up to him a little bit. Now he needs to make the adjustments as all good QBs do. First time he has faces adversity.

Veteran
    Cam strikes me as a 'me, me, me' kind of player - who tend to take losses badly because it reflects so harshly on their own ego. He's not feeling bad for his team - watching him on the sideline last night - he's feeling bad for himself.

As great as Cam's season was last year, this mentality is a real pitfall in the NFL. Players that get down and see themselves - their own play - as the single controlling factor stop playing the game as a team-effort and usually end up trying to do too much.

If defenses find you mentally weak, then they know if they can back you into a corner, you're going to loosen your game and start making mistakes. Last night was a prime example of this.

All League
    espn said that he ripped newton, yet when you read the article, its a whole other story

good move by smith

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    SS has been around a long time he is a valuable player. Funny too.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post

INT- JETS LOCKER ROOM

Reporter

Santonio..Mark seemed really down on the sidelines, considering you were once a team captain.. Did you think to say something to him about his actions he shows the team?

Santonio

No.

End.
    Santoino
    Hot dog?

Mark
    Please with Saurkraut

Holmes lites up his QB he is being a Dick. Smith does it he is just being a team captain? lolol This is why I love this crowd.

I think Sanchez could use a Steve Smith type receiver too.....

as in a receiver that's as good as Steve Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by titanbuoy View Post

i was hoping to hear him do the postgame in the 3rd person

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Holmes lites up his QB he is being a Dick. Smith does it he is just being a team captain? lolol This is why I love this crowd.
    It depends on what is being said as well as how it is being said.

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    It depends on what is being said as well as how it is being said.
    No people here hate Holmes way too much to even look at it like that. Not everything he says and does is as bed as some people make it out to be. He could say I love my children and the posts the next day would be he is a child molester.

Smith is the real Carolina Panthers Superman and always has been.

As a Panthers fan, I would have supported if Smitty would have left for another team last summer, preferably the Pats. That's just because I like him so much, I think he deserves a shot at a ring and to play with a real quarterback before he retires.

He could have easily been one of the greatest of all times at receiving if he wasn't stuck in Carolina with sub-par QB performances his entire career. I just don't think he will get the recognition he deserves by staying in Carolina.

But he didn't want to leave. He wanted to retire as a Panther and help his rookie QB out...which pretty much says it all about the type of player he is.

All I know is if the HOF induction ever do decide to watch highlight reels, no doubt in my mind Steve Smith would have the most impressive highlight reel in the NFL. For a receiver that small to do what he does....it's just infinitely more fun and impressive to watch than even guys like Calvin Johnson who are just naturally gifted at the position. Steve makes it look hard and nearly impossible, because for him, it is hard and nearly impossible.

No people here hate Holmes way too much to even look at it like that. Not everything he says and does is as bed as some people make it out to be. He could say I love my children and the posts the next day would be he is a child molester.
    Yes, poor Santonio Holmes, he deserves everyone's benefit of the doubt, just misunderstood.....good lord

Rookie
    You sir, are uneducated and not correct.

Lolol! Steve smith stuck through the panthers through the terrible last two years of jake delhomme, matt moore, testaverde?!

Holmes had a b*tch fit after one bad season and wouldn't even talk to his quarterback.
    Smith could have put together a possible HOF career if he demanded out and played with a top tier quarterback but he sacrificed all that for carolina. Holmes only cares about himself. And if you truly think he cares about helping Sanchez if the ball is not going his way then youre a delusional jet fan

Quote Originally Posted by CTJetFan92 View Post
    You sir, are uneducated and not correct.

Lolol! Steve smith stuck through the panthers through the terrible last two years of jake delhomme, matt moore, testaverde?!

Holmes had a b*tch fit after one bad season and wouldn't even talk to his quarterback.
    Smith could have put together a possible HOF career if he demanded out and played with a top tier quarterback but he sacrificed all that for carolina. Holmes only cares about himself. And if you truly think he cares about helping Sanchez if the ball is not going his way then youre a delusional jet fan
    Correct. Steve Smith:

1) plays hard,
    2) is tough,
    2) and is actually good

Santonio is none of those things. So, it's not the same at all.

I would also argue that Smith is borderline HOF, even with that **** QB play. One or two more good years could do it. The guy is a true HOF talent.

Steve Smith gave Cam the real, and I respect him for that.

However, he shouldn't go too hard on Cam. After all, he gave his career CPR.

Remember, Steve Smith's career was on life support not too long ago. People used to joke about how he wasn't even the best Steve Smith in the league, and how the other Steve Smith was better. Cam Newton brought him back to relevancy again.