Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe McKnight

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Joe McKnight

Honestly, I think the reason why he doesn't get on the field to see more touches is his pass blocking. The little we've seen of him try to do it, it's awful. His fumbling doesn't help either but I think the passblocking is the bigger issue

That being said, I'd like splitting him out wide a little bit and see what he can do there. He did that a bit at USC and maybe he can give us a jolt out there in 3-4 WR sets..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJets 4 Life View Post
    Honestly, I think the reason why he doesn't get on the field to see more touches is his pass blocking. The little we've seen of him try to do it, it's awful. His fumbling doesn't help either but I think the passblocking is the bigger issue

That being said, I'd like splitting him out wide a little bit and see what he can do there. He did that a bit at USC and maybe he can give us a jolt out there in 3-4 WR sets..
    The guy led the AFC in KR last year with a 31 ypc average. how many fumbles did he have?

How long has it taken REGGIE BUSH to become the rb that he is today? 6 years!

For some reason since the day he was drafted people here have taken shots at him. Players mature at different speeds. This man , once he gets a legit. shot, will quiet his critics. He is not as talented IMO as Bush but he can bring intensity and speed to the team. its sorely needed!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Too much is being made of McKnight's fumbling. He needs to play. The guy can produce explosive plays...if he can get into space on the field.

Yes...if Joe motions, and splits wide as a receiver, that eliminates him of his poor pass blocking responsibilities.

McKnight is the best Jets receiver from the RB position by far. The LB's can't cover him. Whether they split him wide, or let him release from the backfield, Joe can catch it 15-25 yards down the field.

Give him the damn ball!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Couldn't agree more. You have to give the kid a shot. Greene isn't exactly a stellar pass blocker anyway. At the worst it would keep their lbs honest and out of Sanchez's face when he runs flair routes etc.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    Too much is being made of McKnight's fumbling. He needs to play. The guy can produce explosive plays...if he can get into space on the field.

Yes...if Joe motions, and splits wide as a receiver, that eliminates him of his poor pass blocking responsibilities.

McKnight is the best Jets receiver from the RB position by far. The LB's can't cover him. Whether they split him wide, or let him release from the backfield, Joe can catch it 15-25 yards down the field.

Give him the damn ball!
    All of this makes so much good sense. It would slow down the pass rush, which eases the pressure on the o lineman. It opens up the middle of the field for the TE's and so much more, but when has Rex or this team done anything that makes sense.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    mcknight needs a chance to show he can shine in this offense. once he gets it you will see hes the real deal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPLZagWioUU
    Last edited by Nike; 09-22-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really don't know what you guys are seeing here.

(1) His fumble ratio is just terrible. We went through this here in a preseason thread. He puts the ball on the ground at a very high rate per number of touches. Admittedly in a fairly low number of touches overall but still, he puts the rock on the ground at a very high rate. This was before the first preseason scrimmage where I think he fumbled on his very first play. Sorry but Joe McKnight is a fumbler until he puts together a pretty long streak without fumbling. To dismiss that as being unimportant is bizarre.

(2) He simply has not shown very much when he has got in there as a RB. He was beaten out by Powell for the backup spot in preseason and his lifetime YPC of 4.0 says he is a JAG. So, he is a fumbler and when he is not fumbling he is not all that great. The dilemma with Tiki Barber early in his career was that he was BOTH a fumbler and he was extremely productive. Joe McKnight is not posing the same difficult questions for the Jets coaching staff here.

(3) As the op mentioned he does not block well at all so he is a liability in that regard. Since other teams scout us and know this, they can gamble that we are only putting him in there on non-passing plays which allows the defense to cheat more.

This is now his 3rd year. How many years are we going to continue to have this conversation where people are claiming that he has not had a chance? Is there is some kind of conspiracy to keep his superior talents buried on the bench in favor of lesser players and to the detriment of the team? Is that what people are saying here?

This is not an all-NFL depth chart at Running Back here with the Jets. IF any of them were anything special at all they would and should climb to the top of this chart pretty rapidly. Instead he has dropped from the presumptive #2 this year down to #3 behind Powell. So I ask again, what are people seeing here?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Entering his third year, in real games McKnight has 84 rushing attempts and 16 receptions with zero fumbles.

That being said he has 42 kick returns (with one 1 fumble) and 7 punt returns (with 2 fumbles and 1 recovered).

You can say a lot of things about McKnight but fumbles from the RB position shouldn't be one of them.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am all for giving McKnight a chance. I am on the bandwagon. BUT, McKnight does not protect the football. McKnight does not pass block well. Those are the two things keeping him off the field.

I agree, he is our only legitimate HR threat at the RB position but it seems like they don't trust him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    I really don't know what you guys are seeing here.

(1) His fumble ratio is just terrible. We went through this here in a preseason thread. He puts the ball on the ground at a very high rate per number of touches. Admittedly in a fairly low number of touches overall but still, he puts the rock on the ground at a very high rate. This was before the first preseason scrimmage where I think he fumbled on his very first play. Sorry but Joe McKnight is a fumbler until he puts together a pretty long streak without fumbling. To dismiss that as being unimportant is bizarre.

(2) He simply has not shown very much when he has got in there as a RB. He was beaten out by Powell for the backup spot in preseason and his lifetime YPC of 4.0 says he is a JAG. So, he is a fumbler and when he is not fumbling he is not all that great. The dilemma with Tiki Barber early in his career was that he was BOTH a fumbler and he was extremely productive. Joe McKnight is not posing the same difficult questions for the Jets coaching staff here.

(3) As the op mentioned he does not block well at all so he is a liability in that regard. Since other teams scout us and know this, they can gamble that we are only putting him in there on non-passing plays which allows the defense to cheat more.

This is now his 3rd year. How many years are we going to continue to have this conversation where people are claiming that he has not had a chance? Is there is some kind of conspiracy to keep his superior talents buried on the bench in favor of lesser players and to the detriment of the team? Is that what people are saying here?

This is not an all-NFL depth chart at Running Back here with the Jets. IF any of them were anything special at all they would and should climb to the top of this chart pretty rapidly. Instead he has dropped from the presumptive #2 this year down to #3 behind Powell. So I ask again, what are people seeing here?
    You sound like a hater so this will go for naught! I know the guy threw up three years ago and you hated him for that! got it! The guy has NOT had much of a chance to do anything but return kicks. And guess what? He did rather well running back kicks. Yet you have him tarred and feathered. I suppose you were opposed to Woodhead too.

Err upon further exam he dropped to third because he had shin splints! He was not given much work to heal. Just thought Id mention the truth. Further REX singled Joe and Bilal out for improved blocking at the start of camp. Then Joe ate something and got sick followed by shin splints! That leads us to here. Is the season over yet? Ya think he might get a shot to show what he has? I do.

Many guys never get a shot with their original team and shine elsewhere. Ask Woodhead, Michael Turner, Reggie Bush and a host of others. Why even QBs have done better in new surroundings. Ask Drew Brees, Kurt Warner and Warren Moon!

I am sorry if you are a hater but your position is based on nothing but your own biased opinion!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I am all for giving McKnight a chance. I am on the bandwagon. BUT, McKnight does not protect the football. McKnight does not pass block well. Those are the two things keeping him off the field.

I agree, he is our only legitimate HR threat at the RB position but it seems like they don't trust him.
    Greene fumbles more the anyoneon the Jets! Yet they let him play! He also is not much of a blocker.

Please read what JET WITZ wrote a few threads above yours.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    \Sorry but Joe McKnight is a fumbler until he puts together a pretty long streak without fumbling. To dismiss that as being unimportant is bizarre.

But as you admit...he needs to put together a long streak without fumbling. How's he going to do that if he doesn't play? He needs to play some...that's all I'm saying. That this unit needs to be more productive. And none of these three may deserve on merit...15-20 carries a game.

(2) He simply has not shown very much when he has got in there as a RB. He was beaten out by Powell for the backup spot in preseason

Yes...Joe has been legitimately beaten out by Powell. I see McKnight getting the fewest carries of the three. But I like his receiving skills better then the other backs.

(3)Since other teams scout us and know this, they can gamble that we are only putting him in there on non-passing plays which allows the defense to cheat more.

Again...I'm emphasizing Joe's receiving skills. As the OP stated...use him split as a wide receiver. I would motion McKnight out of the backfield and split him wide. Or just release him downfield from the RB position. LB's covering McKnight is a good mismatch for the Jets.

This is not an all-NFL depth chart at Running Back here with the Jets. IF any of them were anything special at all they would and should climb to the top of this chart pretty rapidly. [/B]
    Agree. IMO...the RB unit has less potential then the WR talent. And a weak running game can seriously unbalance this offense. Putting extra pressure on the OL and the passing game. This is especially so...since Sanchez doesn't have his safety blanket receiever...in Keller at TE. And the young inexperienced WRs may continue to have their ups and downs. Especially in the first half of the season. Which is the most difficult part of the schedule.

My preference would be to give Powell equal...or almost equal carries with Greene...for the next few games. And of course...McKnight the least of the three. Using McKnight at the RB position, primarily for his receiving skills and potential explosiveness after the catch. Maybe he's most suitable in the Tebow wildcat packages.

for right now...I'm pretty sure the Jets will continue to start Greene. If he's running effectively...they'll keep giving it to him. But if Shonn's around 3.0 ypc...then run Powell. And keep running him until he's the #1 by default.

Right now...the whole RB unit may be greater then its parts. Neither Greene or Powell, may be good enough to keep this offense in balance. Hence McKnight...mostly for receiving and him being dangerous in space. Again...Joe might be best utilized when Tebow's in the game.

Right now...the Jets have to find ways to keep the defense off balance as much as possible. To use the RB's in situations that can best take advantage of their skill sets. It will all come down to execution. If effective...this can be a big help to keep the offense in balance. Whis is a must against the upcoming 49ers and Texans opponents.
    Last edited by GreenReaper; 09-22-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Greene breaks through a huge hole:

Has one man to beat:

And opts to run head first into the guy and ends up injuring himself ringing his own bell:

I don't care what's wrong with McKnight or Powell, it's time to see what they can do.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we will get to see a heavy dose of McKnight tomorrow

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    I don't care what's wrong with McKnight or Powell, it's time to see what they can do.
    Yep, I'd rather roll with the unknown quantity than Greene, who we all know is crap. If Powell/McKnight fall on their face, then whatever...gotta give them the opportunity to fail/succeed first though.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Greene fumbles more the anyoneon the Jets! Yet they let him play! He also is not much of a blocker.

Please read what JET WITZ wrote a few threads above yours.
    It is more than just fumbling. He carries the ball away from his body. They must also take into account what he does in practice.

Again, I think he should play more regardless. But I think the coaches don't have confidence in him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have no faith in this organization's ability to evaluate talent on the offensive side of the ball. None.

Who was the last great offensive (skill position) player we drafted?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you are right. Pass blocking is a big part of why he is not the 3rd down back.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone Else > Shonn Greene

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    I have no faith in this organization's ability to evaluate talent on the offensive side of the ball. None.

Who was the last great offensive (skill position) player we drafted?
    Scary statement but true

Santana Moss?

I'm cautiously optimistic, but I think Stephen Hill could be that guy.