Thread: Time to Rebuild the Defense

Time to Rebuild the Defense

Revis's injury aside, its clear to me that this Jet defense is average at best. They can't stop the run, they can't rush the passer, and they are still very susceptible to short and mid range passes over the middle. This performance against Tannenhill was abysmal. Oh, I forgot, we also need to rebuild the offense so I guess the defense will have to wait. Oh, I forgot, the Mouth is a defensive genius so maybe he can make due with this average group of players.

Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Revis's injury aside, its clear to me that this Jet defense is average at best. They can't stop the run, they can't rush the passer, and they are still very susceptible to short and mid range passes over the middle. This performance against Tannenhill was abysmal. Oh, I forgot, we also need to rebuild the offense so I guess the defense will have to wait. Oh, I forgot, the Mouth is a defensive genius so maybe he can make due with this average group of players.
    They need to rebuild the linebacking corps. With Scott and Pace coming off the books this year, they can do just that.

The D-line is young, they can develop.

Secondary (with Revis) is stronger across the middle than last year, as proved by Landry getting a pick six.

they keep drafting defense yet can't get any pass rush. maybin is a non-factor. wilkerson hasn't sniffed a sack. coples doesn't get enough snaps. and the run defense stinks. they can't stop anyone. they get pushed back on too many plays. i think the defense is perceived to be better than it is, b/c in training camp they're practicing against the jet offense.

All League
    Tannehill was 16/36 for 190, 0 TD's and a pick six, he didn't exactly tear it up. But I agree we have been bad against the fast backs like Bush.

Veteran
    What you failed to mention is they can't stop the run WHEN THEY KNOW ITS A RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do agree

All League
    Once more players like Wilson, Cro, Pace 7 Maybin aren't making any plays. Yes Wilson and Cro got a INT but Cro is consistently being beat on 1-1 match ups and Wilson just flat out stinks for a 1st round talent. He shows no instincts to the ball or the player. I can count 3 different times today he got beat at the LOS without pressing his receiver. Plus our LB's can't cover the TE's or RB's out of the backfield which is why struggle on 3rd down.

We got extremely lucky this week and with Revis possibly out for the next couple of games our backend will get seriously roasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    They need to rebuild the linebacking corps. With Scott and Pace coming off the books this year, they can do just that.

The D-line is young, they can develop.

Secondary (with Revis) is stronger across the middle than last year, as proved by Landry getting a pick six.
    Dline is a joke---more Rex and Bean Counter hype. Wilkerson is a decent run stopper but cant put pressure on the passer--Devito is a joke. Couples went from being Rex's boy to cooling his heals on the bench because he isn't the real thing.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Yes Revis = 11, Rest = 0. Holy Sh*t it's gets dumber and dumber every week. Who scored the most points today? D, ST, or O?

Rex needs to never talk up this D again this season until they give an actual good performance. Today was basically rock bottom, they were getting destroyed by Bush early (thankfully he got hurt) and then they allowed Tannehill to have some nice moments because they couldn't get any pressure. If Tannehill was an NFL-caliber QB (he's not even close), he would have beat us in regulation, they had WRs get behind our D he just missed them long.

its crazy how everyone takes one game and goes on a riff about how bad or good the defense is. I agree the defense looked awful today but to go as far as they are awful and we need to rebuild is a little much. After week 1 we had the best defense in the world. After week 3 we have the worst defense in the world. If we shut out San Fran next week are we going to have the best defense in the world again? its a long friggin season. Lets not jump to conclusions and right this defense off because they had a horrible game today. And to be honest the defense stepped up at the end of the game to force field goals that were ultimately missed. So they did prove they can step up a little bit when needed.

But we are elite and a top 5 d.

the fact of the matter that we couldnt handle rookie ryan tannehill has me in disgust with this defense that rex says is so damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by jetman6 View Post
    its crazy how everyone takes one game and goes on a riff about how bad or good the defense is. I agree the defense looked awful today but to go as far as they are awful and we need to rebuild is a little much. After week 1 we had the best defense in the world. After week 3 we have the worst defense in the world. If we shut out San Fran next week are we going to have the best defense in the world again? its a long friggin season. Lets not jump to conclusions and right this defense off because they had a horrible game today. And to be honest the defense stepped up at the end of the game to force field goals that were ultimately missed. So they did prove they can step up a little bit when needed.
    We gave up 180 yards to Spiller and 28 points total. In no way did we have the best D after week 1. Anyone saying that basing it off potential and not performance....

LOL_-so are you telling me that Scott and Pace are able to cover? Are you telling me that the Jets can generate a pass rush? Are you telling me that the run defense is good?

All League
    The sucked last week too.

If Bush doesnt get hurt this game isnt even close.

BUT

Its a team game each aspect effects the other. The Offense cannot have consistent 3 and outs and turnovers, and keep running the D out there.

The run D will improve I feel as the season moves along. D harris has looked ordinary. Scott, because he knows hes a step slower is anticipating (guessing) alot more thus leaving huge cutback lanes. They really need some new life in the LB corps. Maybin looks like the one trick pony he was, except teams know he's speed rushing and block accordingly or run right at him. Coples should be mixed in, for the life of me I cannot understand why he isnt standing up and getting after the qb.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    We gave up 180 yards to Spiller and 28 points total. In no way did we have the best D after week 1. Anyone saying that basing it off potential and not performance....
    I strongly disagree. They forced 3 turnovers and gave up 7 points.

I could care less if they gave up 3 garbage touchdowns that had no effect on the game. Sometimes people need to judge based on performance and not box scores.

Dline is a joke---more Rex and Bean Counter hype. Wilkerson is a decent run stopper but cant put pressure on the passer--Devito is a joke. Couples went from being Rex's boy to cooling his heals on the bench because he isn't the real thing.
    Give me a break. So everyone on the DL is a joke to you? Give it a rest with the complaining and bleating. It's just the 3rd game of the season, I expect them to improve over time.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    Tannehill was 16/36 for 190, 0 TD's and a pick six, he didn't exactly tear it up. But I agree we have been bad against the fast backs like Bush.
    It's because our DL and LB haven't been setting the edge and they've been overplaying their gap assignments. It's like our entire D plays boom or bust. Rather than just making a good tackle they go for a strip or big hit or they crash the wrong gap rather then keeping their assignment resulting in missed tackles and big holes and runs. It happened a bunch these first three games.

Plus Harris looks like he's carrying a sled behind him. He used to be quick, what happened to his speed?

Quote Originally Posted by jetglass View Post
    I strongly disagree. They forced 3 turnovers and gave up 7 points.

I could care less if they gave up 3 garbage touchdowns that had no effect on the game. Sometimes people need to judge based on performance and not box scores.
    The mistakes they made and the way they gave up the points in the so-called garbage time showed up in games 2 and 3 as well. It wasn't just "garbage time." The starters on D have been giving up a lot of yards and points this season. From game 1 on. They aren't that talented and it shows on the field. Rex's schemes don't fool other teams the same way. Elite RBs make us look silly. We still can't pass rush. It's a problem and it's not going away.