Thread: If Revis is done...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

If Revis is done...

...I think one of the best things the Jets can do to help their cause is to switch to a true 4-3. It will play to the strength of the personnel. There is a pretty good pool of talent on the DL and it will take one of the slower LBs off the field. Heck, maybe we can see if Maybin can play in space on the weakside. Either way, I think it's the smart move.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who is going to play MLB? We don't have a sideline to sideline MLB like Vilma or Ryans.

I think our DEs would still struggle. Wilk is not athletic or fast. And Coples can't even get on the field now so I have a hard time assuming he would fit in just b.c the scheme changes. Maybe it would help Maybin. Maybe.

Strange this is people talk about the offense not having an identity, I don't think our defense has one anymore. At least not this year so far.

LOL. Just saw a FiOS commercial that says Harris runs a 4.59 40yd dash. LOL

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Who is going to play MLB? We don't have a sideline to sideline MLB like Vilma or Ryans.

I think our DEs would still struggle. Wilk is not athletic or fast. And Coples can't even get on the field now so I have a hard time assuming he would fit in just b.c the scheme changes.

I saw it too. Did he run a 4.59 at the combine?

By the way, Melvin Ingram this season? No sacks

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    I saw it too. Did he run a 4.59 at the combine?

By the way, Melvin Ingram this season? No sacks
    just like the jets, right?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    So true

Our linebacking corps are definitely a little slow for a true 4-3 defense.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

I think our DEs would still struggle. Wilk is not athletic or fast. And Coples can't even get on the field now so I have a hard time assuming he would fit in just b.c the scheme changes.

I think the oversized DL might actually help the lack of a ranging MLB. Maybe move Bart to the middle, Harris to the strong side and play a combination of Maybin/Pace on the weak side. Just spitballing here.

Wilk is pretty athletic for his size and Coples definitely is. I also think Coples would be somewhat more comfortable with the responsibilities of a 4-3 DE versus a 3-4.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    the thing is that is today's NFL teams run so many 3-receiver sets that a "pure 4-3" is more nominal than anything.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by simijet View Post
    So true

Our linebacking corps are definitely a little slow for a true 4-3 defense.
    The Davis kid is fast. Maybe more playing time for him?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    I think the oversized DL might actually help the lack of a ranging MLB. Maybe move Bart to the middle, Harris to the strong side and play a combination of Maybin/Pace on the weak side. Just spitballing here.

Wilk is pretty athletic for his size and Coples definitely is. I also think Coples would be somewhat more comfortable with the responsibilities of a 4-3 DE versus a 3-4.
    I agree with your lineup. That would be the likely positions. I just think we would get killed in the middle of the field even more than we do now. When I think 4-3 MLB, I think of guys like Urlacher that are athletic and that can drop into a zone and cover the middle. Demario Davis might make a good weak side LB. Although I am wondering why he hasn't seen the field either.

I think Coples and Wilk lack the speed to be 4-3 DEs. I agree that Coples would likely be more comfortable.

I think that the main problem with our defense no matter what the scheme is that we lack speed in the front 7. Watching Arizona right now is making me depressed. They are very fast and athletic in the front 7.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with your lineup. That would be the likely positions. I just think we would get killed in the middle of the field even more than we do now. When I think 4-3 MLB, I think of guys like Urlacher that are athletic and that can drop into a zone and cover the middle. Demario Davis might make a good weak side LB. Although I am wondering why he hasn't seen the field either.

I think Coples and Wilk lack the speed to be 4-3 DEs. I agree that Coples would likely be more comfortable.

I think that the main problem with our defense no matter what the scheme is that we lack speed in the front 7. Watching Arizona right now is making me depressed. They are very fast and athletic in the front 7.
    I agree that the current DEs aren't ideal for the scheme, but the current LBs aren't ideal for either IMO, so that was why I suggested the change (youth>suckiness).

I think Davis has had some issues in practice after some initial injury problems, so he is behind the curve a bit. I think a slimmed down Scott might be better suited as a 4-3 MLB instead of his seek-and-destroy role he holds now in deference to Harris.

But yea, the front 7 is a pretty slow group.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    In related news...Peyton Manning is done.
    Not injured, just done.