Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replacement Refs today.

Veteran
    >Personal foul, #63 Defence, 10 yard penalty. The offence wins the Stanley Cup, the defence is forced to sign contracts with the Browns. Still 2nd down.

Hall Of Fame
    Here is more ammunition for the league to get something done.

Bart Hubbuch ‏@HubbuchNYP
    #scablife RT @TheRedzoneorg: Replacement referees gave Titans extra 12 yards in overtime

http://t.co/1TbF2ZOQ

Replacement referees gave Titans extra 12 yards in overtime
    Sep
    9/24/2012 7:05:16 AM

Replacement officials erred Sunday when they incorrectly spotted the ball after a personal foul on Tennessee's only possession of overtime, and Lions coach Jim Schwartz said they ignored his pleas to re-mark the ball, Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press reports.

"I kept on trying to alert them to that fact," Schwartz said after the Lions' 44-41 loss. "It's overtime, I can't challenge anything.

"Obviously, there was a miscommunication, I don't know what you call it from an enforcement standpoint. As soon as the play was declared incomplete, it should have been a 15-yard (mark-off) from the play before."

Instead of a 15-yard penalty, officials marked off a 27-yard penalty on linebacker Stephen Tulloch for a helmet-to-helmet hit on tight end Craig Stevens.

Officials ruled Stevens caught the pass on the play, but overturned that call on replay.

The Titans' drive ended with a 26-yard field goal, the final points.

An NFL spokesperson did not immediately return an e-mail seeking comment.

Jets Insider VIP
    I agree this has to be resolved ASAP. On the other hand, I have to admit it was fun to watch the patriots play a game under the same rules as their opponent.

I'm not clamoring to get the real refs back though.

Those greedy bastards got too big for their britches.

Eye on Football ‏@EyeOnNFL
    NFL spokesman tells @CBSSports.com league will review the incident with Kyle Shanahan and refs in tunnel after Skins game.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk
    Ray Lewis rants about replacement refs, again http://wp.me/p14QSB-5w2q

CBSSports.com ‏@CBSSports
    Referees want NFL owners in on discussions, but the owners want nothing to do with the talks.

Locked-out officials have asked for NFL owners to become involved in negotiations, according to sources familiar with the talks. But the owners have declined, so far, prolonging the stalemate.

During the player lockout, owners were heavily involved in the talks, and players believe this can in fact speed the negotiation process along.

The officials think the same thing could happen with this impasse but so far owners don't seem interested in doing so.

Sources on both sides estimated this fight will continue for at least another week and maybe a lot longer.

Despite what was perhaps the worst week for the replacement refs -- leading to Bill Belichick being so frustrated he put his hands on an official -- there appears to be no end to the conflict on the immediate horizon.

Both sides met over the weekend in what were some of the more intense talks yet, sources familiar with the situation said, but the sides aren't close.

Sources said the NFL Referees Association made concessions in both compensation and pension requests, but those concessions were rejected by the league's lawyers. No counteroffer was made to the officials, a source said.

One NFL source told CBSSports.com: "There has been no discussion of owners getting directly involved. They are fully apprised and supportive of our goal to improve officiating long term and our bargaining position. We did not view what occurred yesterday as concessions. There are significant differences on a full range of issues [economic and non-economic]."

So it appears the two sides are as far apart as ever.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/20352336