Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bilal Powell should start

Jets coach Rex Ryan said at Monday's presser it's "possible" Shonn Greene could begin ceding more early-game touches to Bilal Powell or Joe McKnight.
    "That’s certainly a possibility that we’ll look into," Ryan said. "We’ll look at anything that will help our team. Has that been discussed? No."

Greene is the Jets 3d best running back when it comes to running the ball, and he'd be 4th best if Tebow played fullback. I'd go with Powell, make McKnight the change of pace back, and trade Greene. But that's not going to happen because the front office has a vested interest in Greene's success and, for some reason, the coaching staff expects him to be the bell cow (whatever the hell that means) when his only success to date has been coming in fresh in the 4th quarter after the opposing D has been exhausted by chasing/tackling LT or Thomas Jones.

I am hopeful that Sporano takes Rex aside during the bye week to explain that Greene is the worst starting RB in the NFL. Perhaps then they could trade him for a guy who at least has potential - and there many guys sitting at #3 on their team's depth chart who I would swap for Greene (Roy Helu, Daryl Richardson, Bryce Brown, et...)

Can anyone name a team that has a starting RB who you would NOT take over Greene?

Powell needs to start and we need to draft or trade for a real running back.

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Greene is the Jets 3d best running back when it comes to running the ball, and he'd be 4th best if Tebow played fullback. I'd go with Powell, make McKnight the change of pace back, and trade Greene. But that's not going to happen because the front office has a vested interest in Greene's success and, for some reason, the coaching staff expects him to be the bell cow (whatever the hell that means) when his only success to date has been coming in fresh in the 4th quarter after the opposing D has been exhausted by chasing/tackling LT or Thomas Jones.

I am hopeful that Sporano takes Rex aside during the bye week to explain that Greene is the worst starting RB in the NFL. Perhaps then they could trade him for a guy who at least has potential - and there many guys sitting at #3 on their team's depth chart who I would swap for Greene (Roy Helu, Daryl Richardson, Bryce Brown, et...)

Can anyone name a team that has a starting RB who you would NOT take over Greene?
    Agreed, except for the part about trading Greene. No one would ever take him and he is serviceable as a backup in case of injury, but he has no business starting in a team that wants to run the ball as much as Rex proclaims.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Agreed, except for the part about trading Greene. No one would ever take him and he is serviceable as a backup in case of injury, but he has no business starting in a team that wants to run the ball as much as Rex proclaims.
    I think a team would take him on the belief that he could resume his "closer" role behind an elite RB.

As I think about this more, I have to admit that I am shocked the guy has stayed healthy enough to become a pro when he never seems to "avoid" contact. And I'm not sure what has made the Jets believe he is starting caliber when he lacks the one singular trait possessed by every effective RB --- the ability to make a tackler miss.

Veteran
    I was a major detractor of Powell last season, but in the past few games he has proven me wrong. I really hope he keeps it up. He's done a great job so far with his limited carries. Needs to see more time.

As one of Greene's strongest and longest supporters at J.I.......I agree.

Start Powell, and give him ~40-50% of the rushing carries.

Feed Tebow in the Wildcat far more, and give him ~20-30% of the rushing carries.

Hold Greene for the second half, and give him ~20% of the carries, almost all late in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    As one of Greene's strongest and longest supporters at J.I.......I agree.

Start Powell, and give him ~40-50% of the rushing carries.

Feed Tebow in the Wildcat far more, and give him ~20-30% of the rushing carries.

Hold Greene for the second half, and give him ~20% of the carries, almost all late in the game.
    From your keyboard to Rex's ears.

I don't think it matters. I don't even know what to think anymore. The NFL is a mess until they get these games to play like football again. These replacement "refs" have destroyed all possibilities of flow and the calls are absolutely atrocious. If you whine at them after any play, they will throw a flag.

Quote Originally Posted by Pavilion View Post
    I know im not the only one who's tired of watching Greene run iknto the blockers backs or falling down after one guys shoelace hits him

So far every time Powell has been in the game hes gives more to the run game than greene goes. IMO he's been better than greene whens hes been in the game but maybe im biased since im tired of waching greene do nothing

What say you?
    You're right. Powell should start. Greene is so predictable and does nothing for the running game. Powell is the one bright spot I can see thus far this season and he should be rewarded.

Put Greene and McKnight on notice that their jobs are not safe.

All Pro
    Greene should have been demoted a while ago. He's the worst starting player on the Jets and the worst starting running back in the league.

Powell appears to be a JAG, but he's clearly the superior option over Greene. Powell brings more to the table in terms of running skills, he can contribute in the passing game, and he has been the more productive running back this season.

Let's give Powell a shot as the starter and see what happens. The offense has played better when he is on the field.

Powell is a pretty mediocre halfback. Doesn't really make anyone miss, or have superb vision, but he gets the job done. Will give the team what the offensive line gives him. He dropped an easy ball, and is more of a jack of all trades, master of none in my opinion. This offense needs a spark more than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Ro 25 View Post
    Powell is a pretty mediocre halfback. Doesn't really make anyone miss, or have superb vision, but he gets the job done. Will give the team what the offensive line gives him. He dropped an easy ball, and is more of a jack of all trades, master of none in my opinion. This offense needs a spark more than anything.
    he did make people miss yesterday. he average twice the YPC as greene. maybe he's good.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    he did make people miss yesterday. he average twice the YPC as greene. maybe he's good.

Greene has been terrible, Powell has been decent.

It's kind of like watching Raymond Felton man the point after Duhon left. We're used to watching awful running back play, but an average RB looks superb next to a struggling one. Watch most other NFL games, and watch our running game. It's night and day I swear.

All League
    I guarantee you will be eating those words.

Greene has been terrible, Powell has been decent.

It's kind of like watching Raymond Felton man the point after Duhon left. We're used to watching awful running back play, but an average RB looks superb next to a struggling one. Watch most other NFL games, and watch our running game. It's night and day I swear.
    you may be right, but any rb who can average 4.5 ypc is ok in my book. and maybe the jets offense can be decent just by making that one switch. maybe having rbs who can run past the LOS and catch is what's been creating so many 3 and outs. it would be a great chance to see if the jets play powell and they start moving the ball on the 49ers. if they can do this it really shows how much rex's decision/mancrush on greene has held back the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    I guarantee you will be eating those words.

I guarantee you I won't.

Our starting RB isn't on the roster, unless McKnight gets an opportunity.