Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bilal Powell should start

All Pro

Bilal Powell should start

I know im not the only one who's tired of watching Greene run iknto the blockers backs or falling down after one guys shoelace hits him

So far every time Powell has been in the game hes gives more to the run game than greene goes. IMO he's been better than greene whens hes been in the game but maybe im biased since im tired of waching greene do nothing

What say you?

Jets Insider VIP
    Agree

Definitely.

he's the only complete back that we have, might as well see if he can carry the load. use Greene and McKnight as change-of-pace guys.

Best post of the century.

Quote Originally Posted by Pavilion View Post
    I know im not the only one who's tired of watching Greene run iknto the blockers backs or falling down after one guys shoelace hits him

So far every time Powell has been in the game hes gives more to the run game than greene goes. IMO he's been better than greene whens hes been in the game but maybe im biased since im tired of waching greene do nothing

What say you?
    The other thing is that Greene looks to get injured after every time he carries the ball.

All League
    I totally agree. I play a game every time Greene gets a handoff. Count how many seconds go by before he's down. I've never got past 3 seconds. Sad. What kills me even more is when we run Greene outside the tackles. Powell starting is a must with Greene spelling during power run situations.

Heck I'd like to see McKnight get a shot as well. His only problem is he can't pass block. Speaking of that... why do we never pass to the RB? We did a RB screen once today and it worked perfectly minus the holding call against Holmes. We need to check down to our backs more often and that will help with Sanchez confidence and keep the chains moving.
    Last edited by KingofNY; 09-24-2012 at 01:15 AM.

Practice Squad
    Powell absolutely needs 15--20 carries a game. When Powell is in, third a six turns into third and three. The passing game opens up just a bit more.

A bit more to it...Greene has no cut back ability. So defenders are not scared of overplaying their gap responsibilities because they know that Greene will never cut it back. With Powell, they have to maintain better discipline, play a bit back on their heels which would open the power running game more.

Play Powell. It's simple.

Greene needs to SIT he is a workhorse with no strength, breakaway speed, or wiggle. You can't wear down a defense with a back who goes down on first contact. Powell McKnight whoever just get Greene as a change of pace back

Rookie
    Agreed, my buddy's and I were talking about this as well. Shawn Greene's success came when he would fill in for Thomas Jones and or play with Tomlinson. Nothing wrong with coming off the bench in the 3rd qtr when the other team is tired and unleashing Greene then.

All League
    Agree 100%...

at this point I would settle for Colin Powell over Greene

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jets80 View Post
    Agree 100%...
    Ditto. And only last year our arm chair GMs said Bilal was a wasted pick. The guy is an improvement over Greene.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Jets!

Veteran
    Greene would hit the only tree in the desert.

THANK YOU.

Greene's time as the #1 is coming to an end. Powell NEVER goes down on first contact and is very shifty.

Quote Originally Posted by jetglass View Post
    The other thing is that Greene looks to get injured after every time he carries the ball.
    and he hasn't done that well either.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Green + White View Post
    Greene would hit the only tree in the desert.
    Lol

Yeah I agree with everyone. This is the most clear cut decision the team could have, especially given the new defensive crisis. My fear is they'll be too stubborn to actually let Powell start, but either way he'll be getting more and more snaps as the season continues. The difference between Greene and Powell (and every other RB I'm afraid) is night and day.

Veteran
    My concerns are, if we can see this then A) Why can't the coaches, or B) If they have why haven't they moved on it? I like the coaching staff for the most part, but this seems to be a recurring question.

Hall Of Fame
    Its not even debatable that Powell should be way more involved than he is currently. I am amazed that with Keller being out the last two weeks, the Jets have not tried to use their RBs as a receiving option. I know Greene is useless as a receiver, but Powell should have at least 4-5 receptions per game. What better safety valve for Mark to have than a RB who can catch and make a play. We saw it on that one play yesterday, although it was negated by a Holmes holding penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    My concerns are, if we can see this then A) Why can't the coaches, or B) If they have why haven't they moved on it? I like the coaching staff for the most part, but this seems to be a recurring question.
    Other than everyone else agreeing in principle with the OP, there's really not much else to discuss. Sparano has done some good things so far, but if he doesn't make this move right now (and stop putting Tebow at WR) he'll start to come under question as well.

Players have to play, but the coaches have to put the best players on the field. Powell is the best fit for what the Jets are capable of doing on offense. Really wish he would have come up with that 3rd-down reception - the YAC he would have gotten on that play alone might have been enough to solidify the change.

Rookie
    I'm really not a fan that tends to get down on players when they aren't producing, but I whole heartedly agree with this thread. The offense just looks so much better with Powell at RB. Greene has always been at his best when he was able to bowl over a tired defense. Although as a whole the OL has done well so far, the run blocking has not been spectacular and Powell gives us a guy that has some more ability to create something when the blocking isn't perfect.