Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ewing Theory - Can the Jets D elevate their game without Revis?

All League
    Defensively, I think they need to get Coples involved. For whatever reason, he's been extremely limited in these first few games. I don't see how it could hurt, we have no one else with his pass rush ability on the d-line. He hasn't done anything special yet but in the few snaps he has seen, he's gotten some pressure. I don't like relying on a rookie but we need something to change up front in a hurry.

I also think they need to bring Bryan Thomas back and sign another db.

On a side note, we brought Coples, Maybin, and Davis in to add speed to the front 7 and none of them are on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Green&White51 View Post
    Defensively, I think they need to get Coples involved. For whatever reason, he's been extremely limited in these first few games. I don't see how it could hurt, we have no one else with his pass rush ability on the d-line. He hasn't done anything special yet but in the few snaps he has seen, he's gotten some pressure. I don't like relying on a rookie but we need something to change up front in a hurry.

I also think they need to bring Bryan Thomas back and sign another db.

On a side note, we brought Coples, Maybin, and Davis in to add speed to the front 7 and none of them are on the field.
    rex thinks he's such a great defensive mind he can play anyone and they'll get the job done. it's hurting the defense.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    rex thinks he's such a great defensive mind he can play anyone and they'll get the job done. it's hurting the defense.
    It's also the same mentality that's hurting the offense IMO. I think two things need to happen to give the offense a chance in the next few weeks: Bilal Powell needs to get more snaps than Greene and Keller needs to get healthy and get back on the field. The coaching staff has control over the first one, and I fear their stubborness will hold the team back.

Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    The only 3-4 DE that was selected before him was JJ Watt. And he's looking like an All-Pro.

Mo is a very solid player.
    Haha, fair enough. He was a better prospect than Mo coming out though, no? Also, with the rates of hits and misses in the first round, getting someone whose "solid" year-after-year beats what most teams get.

Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    Was it though?

We still have the same CB's (and Wilson is more experiences), better safeties, the same LB's, and an identical D-Line. And our pass rush was pretty bad back then as well.
    Don't forget about age/wear-and-tear though. We may have most of the same players, but that was two years ago. Scott isn't what he was, neither is Pace, just to name two guys. Our D-line isn't identical, though. Back then we didn't have Wilkerson and we did have Ellis on the line. Point is, just because its the same defense doesn't mean its even close to being as good as it once was. Different sports, but same analogy in context: Mets kept the same core group together after the 06 NLCS team for what, 4-5 more years, and even though some players got better, the team made better additions (Johan Santana), but the team overall never performed better. Sometimes things just go stale.