Thread: Jason: Playing Time: Jets vs Dolphins

Jason: Playing Time: Jets vs Dolphins

Things are clearly changig with some of the snaps this week. On offense the Jets are clearly platooning Matt Slauson and Vlad Ducasse. Ducasse saw his snap percent increase to 20% this week, which was more from being out there for successful series than anything else. I find it a bit strange since Rex has always focused on continuity on the line being a big factor and he is eliminating that continuity within games. Stephen Hill did see his snap couts go down, though he did come out late in the game due to a hamstring so that may have hurt his playing time a bit. He only participated in 37% of the snaps with Schilens, who looked to be totally out of the rotation last week making up for Hill's lost snaps. The Jets need to play Bilal Powell more based on production. With Greene healthy Powells percentage was reduced to 44%, down from the 55% the week before. Joe McKnight saw 3 snaps this week and is in the doghouse on offense. With no production coming out of the return game I wonder if his roster spot is secure for the whole season. Jason Smith saw his first extesive action of the year with 40% playing time. To me the whole voiding of his contract is a non story, but he is now over 30% on the season.

Speaking of doghouse, the surprise on defense has been how far Quinton Coples stock has fallen. His playtime went from 51% in week 1 to 24% in week 2 to only 18% in week 3. those are Gholston numbers. There is more to this than I think the Jets are letting on right now. Kenrick Ellis' playing time continues to slide, which is disappointing since he did show some promise in the preseason. As of now the talk of him taking over the job was premature. Despite the excellent performance last week Garret McIntyre's playtime was reduced to 65% of the snaps whie Josh Maugas rose to 24% from 9%. Im guessing it was a scheme thing. Sione Pouha was also not used sparingly compared to last week. Eric smith saw more playing time in the secondary with the Jets using some three safety formations on the field.
    Here are the percent of downs played by our offense and defense in week 3, plus the cumulative percent of snaps on the year.:

http://www.nyjetscap.com/2012_Post/j...splaytime.html

I'm concerned about this but I think a little much is being made of it. Rex obviously wasn't too concerned with their passing game and was 100% dedicated to stopping the run.

Schilens getting more snaps then Kerley is concerning. That needs to change.

Hall Of Fame
    To early to use the "B" word for any of our first or second-year players BUT there is no sugar coating the situation. Their playing time should be increasing, not decreasing. The coaching staff, FO and the players all take some blame in that. Ellis and Coples have Karl Dunbar coaching them. So something has to give there. Unless we simply overrated Dunbar.

As for the Slauson/Ducasse thing, I hope they make a decision soon. Either sh!t or get off the pot. Commit to someone and live with it. I don't like rotating OL. Let the backup be the blocking TE or get his reps that way.

Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    Schilens getting more snaps then Kerley is concerning. That needs to change.
    Thats a reflection of the position they play...Kerley is the slot WR..Schilens is the outside WR, and with him getting more snaps is more a direction reflection of Hill getting less...Schilens took Hill's snaps

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Thats a reflection of the position they play...Kerley is the slot WR..Schilens is the outside WR, and with him getting more snaps is more a direction reflection of Hill getting less...Schilens took Hill's snaps
    I get that, they just need to get Kerley on the field as much as possible, he's the only guy making plays right now, and actually catching the ball.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    I get that, they just need to get Kerley on the field as much as possible, he's the only guy making plays right now, and actually catching the ball.
    he is our best playmaker on offense at this point, hands down

Veteran
    Santonio, Kerley, Powell and hopefully Keller. As I posted elsewhere, that's where this team needs to go for now.

I hope the FO has the balls to made some 'edits' because this crazy year anything can happen, we're capable enough to get into the playoffs. But the FO has to put the best team on the field.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    To early to use the "B" word for any of our first or second-year players BUT there is no sugar coating the situation. Their playing time should be increasing, not decreasing. The coaching staff, FO and the players all take some blame in that. Ellis and Coples have Karl Dunbar coaching them. So something has to give there. Unless we simply overrated Dunbar.

As for the Slauson/Ducasse thing, I hope they make a decision soon. Either sh!t or get off the pot. Commit to someone and live with it. I don't like rotating OL. Let the backup be the blocking TE or get his reps that way.
    It could also mean that Rex has no idea as to how to develop young talent. What draft pick has he really developed into a player yet? Just a bunch of question marks and players with "potential" right now.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    It could also mean that Rex has no idea as to how to develop young talent. What draft pick has he really developed into a player yet? Just a bunch of question marks and players with "potential" right now.
    Bingo!

I've made my earlier post my sig
    Last edited by C Mart; 09-24-2012 at 11:25 AM.

Veteran
    It could also mean that Rex has no idea as to how to develop young talent.
    This ultimately falls on Rex, but I do think that has more to do with the lower levels of the coaching staff. I would never think that Tom Coughlin had anything to do with developing JPP - other than putting them into a position to succeed.

If Rex has a real blind spot, it's for assuming that the amount that players like him is already a sign of their success as a teammate and as a football player. It's kind-of like - if we all stick together we'll be a great team . . .

Partly true, but folks have to do the jobs they were hired for first - like make blocks, get sacks, make tackles, catch the ball - etc. Too little of that going on . . .

They draft a pass rushing DE when we really needed a pass rushing OLB. I still have hopes for Coples and he showed more in preseason than Gholston ever did but Rex falls back to his vets it seems He has to realize that pure ability trumps smarts and scheme at times. We still can't get a friggin pass rush.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    They draft a pass rushing DE when we really needed a pass rushing OLB. I still have hopes for Coples and he showed more in preseason than Gholston ever did but Rex falls back to his vets it seems He has to realize that pure ability trumps smarts and scheme at times. We still can't get a friggin pass rush.
    I don't understand the Ellis and Coples thing...Whenever I've seen either one of them play they were making impact plays yet they can't get on the field.

Ellis collapses the pocket often, something Pouha rarely does..and I can't believe Devito is better than Coples..

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I don't understand the Ellis and Coples thing...Whenever I've seen either one of them play they were making impact plays yet they can't get on the field.

Ellis collapses the pocket often, something Pouha rarely does..and I can't believe Devito is better than Coples..
    Different skill sets..DeVito strong vs run...Coples better at rushing the QB than DeVito..

Hall Of Fame
    Bingo!

I've made my earlier post my sig
    It could also mean all three are true. Talent evaluation sucks. Player development sucks. And the players suck.

Clean house!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    It could also mean all three are true. Talent evaluation sucks. Player development sucks. And the players suck.

Clean house!!!!!!!!!!!

Not absolving anyone but its not like they are drafting guys 3,4,5 rounds too high per "the experts"

Different skill sets..DeVito strong vs run...Coples better at rushing the QB than DeVito..
    yet the jets so far have been terrible vs. the run.

i think rex plays favorites and it hurts the team. that's why guys like eric smith keep making the team and messing up and dixon plays ahead of coples and greene gets most of the carries. greene gets 2 yards a carry and powell gets 4 and a half.

this is the problem with rex's philosophy. he's banked each season on revis covering a great wr and having reliable, experienced lbs to stop the run. well, now revis isn't there, the experienced lbs are thomas, who was cut, scott who is doing well most of the time, and harris who still looks slow. the d-line can't stuff the run enough no matter who gets the handoff and can't generate any pass rush. rex has to rely more on youth and speed and clearly isn't comfortable doing that. and he also has to rely on the offense to carry more of the load yet they are short on reliable wrs, tes and continue to use greene at rb. his stubbornness is hurting the team.

it's hard to sit here and blast tannenbaum when powell actually looked quite good yesterday, kerley looks good, kendrick ellis looks good, and demario davis and coples don't play. stephen hill is a talented project who's playing hurt and mcknight is healthy enough to return kickoffs full speed yet rex claims his hammy isn't right to take a handoff. who is rex fooling, besides himself?