Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sanchez 32nd in league in completion percentage

Sanchez 32nd in league in completion percentage

50.5%. Below Gabbert and Tannehill. Say what you will about the drops, but he's been awful in this stat his whole career. I'd say at this point the number really speaks for itself. It isn't getting better. I don't think you can ever win consistently in this league with an inaccurate QB. He misses too many throws he should make. I'm not saying we need him to be 65%, but he should be around 60 at least. That is pretty standard for a good QB in any type of system.

Are we thinking he turns it around against SF and Houston? Let's be real, it may get even worse before it gets better. He's signed through next season but you really have to wonder if the Jets scouting department is not starting to take more of an interest in some of the top college QBs.

Be prepared to be assaulted by the excuse mongers.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    50.5%. Below Gabbert and Tannehill. Say what you will about the drops, but he's been awful in this stat his whole career. I'd say at this point the number really speaks for itself. It isn't getting better. I don't think you can ever win consistently in this league with an inaccurate QB. He misses too many throws he should make. I'm not saying we need him to be 65%, but he should be around 60 at least. That is pretty standard for a good QB in any type of system.

Are we thinking he turns it around against SF and Houston? Let's be real, it may get even worse before it gets better. He's signed through next season but you really have to wonder if the Jets scouting department is not starting to take more of an interest in some of the top college QBs.
    I give him a pass on the Pittsburgh game because most of those in
    completions came after Timmons rung Sanchez's bell illegally.

Yesterday, for the most part, he was awful, no excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    I give him a pass on the Pittsburgh game because most of those in
    completions came after Timmons rung Sanchez's bell illegally.

Yesterday, for the most part, he was awful, no excuses.
    Pittsburgh was more excusable than yesterday for sure. Steelers usually field a strong D and he did get lit up.

I just wonder what people will say in 2 weeks if Sanchez struggles as expected in these games. That would be 4 mediocre games in a row in his 4th season. The tide would really start turning against him.

All League
    I'll be the first excuse monger.

Do we lead the league in dropped passes too?

The sad part is, he doesn't even have to be great. Just don't be awful.

As poorly as the Jets played on both sides, this could have been a blowout. Between the red zone turnover and the two missed opportunities on long balls to Schilens and Hill (not to mention the Cumberland play), the Jets easily left 17-21 points on the field.

This team would look much better on offense if Sanchez could just hit the layups. Don't throw the ball behind Powell on a 5-yard out on a critical 3rd down. Lead Schilens instead of stopping his progress on another critical 3rd. Hit the easy throws and this offense improves.

And are we ever going to see some athleticism from Sanchez? Look at what Ponder did to the 49ers yesterday...that's the kind of QB play this team needs. He only threw for 198 yards. But he made plays with his legs and hit the layups. That'll keep you in every game.

Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBlitz View Post

Not sure and guys like Hill certainly don't get a pass for the drops. This is 4 years straight where he's been inaccurate though. He's played at times with good WRs and even now has one in Holmes.

sup par wrs and below average rbs this is about right.

Jets Insider VIP
    That's inexcusable. He must improve and, luckily, it is only 3 weeks in the season so a couple of good performances can drastically improve those numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    The sad part is, he doesn't even have to be great. Just don't be awful.

As poorly as the Jets played on both sides, this could have been a blowout. Between the red zone turnover and the two missed opportunities on long balls to Schilens and Hill (not to mention the Cumberland play), the Jets easily left 17-21 points on the field.

This team would look much better on offense if Sanchez could just hit the layups. Don't throw the ball behind Powell on a 5-yard out on a critical 3rd down. Lead Schilens instead of stopping his progress on another critical 3rd. Hit the easy throws and this offense improves.

And are we ever going to see some athleticism from Sanchez? Look at what Ponder did to the 49ers yesterday...that's the kind of QB play this team needs. He only threw for 198 yards. But he made plays with his legs and hit the layups. That'll keep you in every game.
    Yep, too many unforced bad throws and it's been every year of his career so far. The team and Rex can talk all they want about fixing the problems but what ails Mark may just not be fixable. He just isn't an accurate passer. After a while, you just have to realize that what you see is what a player is. To Sanchez's credit, he does have an ability to shake off bad throws and a bad game to make big plays at the end. But he's also usually the reason we are trailing in these games in the first place.

Hall Of Fame
    To appease everyone. Eliminate the dropped passes and re-run the numbers. This only really works for completion % but his yardage is less b.c of the drops as well.

Either way, he is still not an accurate QB. It is what it is.

Practice Squad
    how many of those double-move routes did he overthrow yesterday? 3? 4?

left a lot of points on the field yesterday.

Jets Insider VIP

Fair question.

I think Sanchez is pretty average. Not a bad QB, but a guy who needs good players around him. With protection and some weapons he is REALLY good. But with an average or below average cast of characters he isn't good enough to make those around him better.

Hall Of Fame

Careful. There are a group of posters on here who will trot out a laundry list of reasons for why it is never his fault. Poor OL blocking, the "He spends all his time running for his life" argument. Or the "He has no running game" argument. Or "His receivers suck and they keep dropping balls" argument.

At the end of the day every QB in the league is balancing opponents pass rush with the need to be accurate and effective. Every QB in the league has WRs who drop balls. Sanchez seems to have more of them BECAUSE he is inaccurate. He also throws more hospital passes because he is forever throwing high or behind his receivers. Yes, it looks like a drop but in reality if the receiver makes that play his game, His season or possibly his career might be over. How many times have we hear that if only he lead his receiver on that play then the play might have gone for a TD?

Once Sanchez becomes nervous about tossing the pick in any given game then he tends to lead his receivers even more. Just to be safe. Can we even count the number of times he overthrows his receiver on medium to deep routes?

Numbers can lie for part of a game or a while game or even a series of games but when taken season over season all of those statistical anomalies will even out. The reason Sanchez completes his passes at an incredibly low rate is because he is fundamentally inaccurate. beginning, middle and end of story.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    Yeah - i watched the game again last night. Sanchez didn't look all that bad - made some very nice throws. Had tons of drops all over the field.

For me, Sanchez strides into the ball a little too much at times. He drops down quite low to throw it - which has to effect accuracy vs. guys that have a quieter over-the-top motion. Wtf is cavanaugh still doing as his coach?? I think Mark IS getting more of the mental game and is definitely stronger - but a good part of his accuracy looks like mechanics to my untrained eye.
    Last edited by adpz; 09-24-2012 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    The statline for Tannehill (a rookie) was pretty much on par with Sanchez's. Tannehill receiving corps consists of Anthony Fasano and a bunch of #3s. Reggie Bush was out for the whole second half.

So is Tannehill playing as well as a 4th year QB with a poor surrounding cast should play, or is Sanchez playing as well as a rookie with a poor surrounding cast should play?

I think Sanchez is a guy that plays his best when it's crunch time.

Who would you rather have, Matt Ryan or Mark Sanchez?

One will look real nice in the regular season and then sh!t the bed in the post season. The other will struggle at times in the regular season and play his best in the post season.

Jets Insider VIP
    Love the fight in him, but he continues to miss some throws yesterday that QB’s should make blindfolded (Schillens down the sideline for example) + mind blowing brain farts like the almost INT in OT.

W
    T
    F

50.5%. Say what you will about the drops,
    That's it!

Yesterday he should have had at least one, more than likely two TDs that were right in the receivers hands.

Add 10 drops, plus 3 that actually hit the receivers in the head bc they didnt turn around, and 4 sure TDs over the first three games and his numbers are fine.

Someone has to make a play.

Dropped passes sure. But NFL QBs cannot miss wide open TD opportunities, and Sanchez did that on 3 occasions, and only one of those times was while being rushed. He should have had TDs to Scheins, Hill, and CUmberland (Though he was heavily rushed on that play).

Bottom line, NFL QBs HAVE to make those plays. The INTs could have been due to bad routes or miscommunications, but the bad throws on great playcalls where the Receivers are free have to stop.

Sanchez should have 3 more TDs passes, and while there would be grumblings, it wouldn't be nearly as poor this year if he made the wide open TD throws (Holmes last week, Schiens, and Hill). Sanchez, simply put, has not improved since his 2nd season. If he doesn't improve soon, he will be a backup somewhere. There's no excuse.