Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sanchez 32nd in league in completion percentage

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    You have to consider the opponents. Ryan's last 2 losses in the playoffs were to the eventual SB champions. Sanchez had a chance to face that Giants D two weeks before Ryan did and he performed pitifully. Why would you think he would have fared any differently in the playoffs?

Only a complete homer thinks Sanchez is as good of a QB as Matt Ryan.
    Have to agree.

Matt Ryan is approaching the top 5 QB's, Mark Sanchez can't get himself out of the bottom 5.

Excuses aside, he's a terrible QB right now.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Matt Ryan sucks horribly in the playoffs when the pressure is on.

Mark Sanchez plays at an elite level.

That's a fact. Which one do you want? The nice QB padding stats in a weak division, in a dome for at least 9 games a season, and then crapping his pants in the post season (home field or not). Or the QB that struggles at times in the regular season, by no means looks perfect, limps into the playoffs, and then wins 2 games on the road only to see his defense fail to show up 2 consecutive years?

Which one do you want?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    No doubt.. this is a troubling stat for him in this year. I gave him a pass on last year with the myraid of other problems on O and our OC, but expected him to improve this aspect of his game. That said, our skill position group on O is probably in the same neighborhood as his comp % in terms of talent.

Even Holmes as a #1 requires a nearly perfect pass to make a play. I watch with 3 TVs going every weekend so get to see a decent amount of other teams.. the true #1 WRs make bad throws look good all the time. We just don't have the types of WRs that climb the ladder and snatch the ball out of the air, adjust on throws in-front/behind, extend and make those diving catches on deep throws that might be long. You see these types of plays made all the time... we get Hill dropping a sure TD pass.

Also.. with the talk of missed TD throws yesterday are people really getting on him for the cumberland play where Sanchez stiff armed and unblocked defender and then tried to throw while falling to the ground? And is the Hill play the one were he plulled up lame? I don't think Mark was good enough yesterday but I guess I view those specific plays differently than some.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post

That's a fact. Which one do you want? The nice QB padding stats in a weak division, in a dome for at least 9 games a season, and then crapping his pants in the post season (home field or not). Or the QB that struggles at times in the regular season, by no means looks perfect, limps into the playoffs, and then wins 2 games on the road only to see his defense fail to show up 2 consecutive years?

Which one do you want?
    Matt Ryan carries his team to the playoffs every year and looks like one of the 5 best QBs in football right now. Our QB completes passes less frequently than Blaine Gabbert and Ryan Tannehill. Gee, what a tough decision.

You're making yourself look foolish here, at least pick a QB that isn't playing at MVP level if you want to start comparing Sanchez to other guys. When you have a pretty average team and your QB plays like Sanchez, you're not gonna sniff the playoffs. Our D was exceptional in 2009 and still great in 2010 and that's the reason we ended up in the playoffs, not Sanchez.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Which one do you want?
    Elite?

12-20 for 100 yards and a TD. Actual statline. That's elite?
    18-31 for 189 yards (no TDs, one INT). Actual statline. That's elite?

He played well in the first half of one AFCCG and did well in catchup mode for the other one. He threw 15 passes against the Bengals in '09. That's elite?

He was outstanding against NE in '10. Can't argue that. But one great performance doesn't make him elite in the playoffs. You're doing the same thing to Ryan that was done to Peyton. "Oh, he can't win the big game, too much pressure." Then he wins it. Then what do you say?

It's laughable to compare Sanchez to Ryan at this point. If Ryan ends up being 0 for his career in the postseason, then you have something. But the guy is only in his 5th year and looks better than ever - there's no reason to think he won't eventually get deep in the postseason.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Putting all else aside, when we do get good oline play, when the receivers do get open, when the proper play is called, when all goes right, he still makes bad throws. More bad throws than a good Qb should make.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Elite?

He played well in the first half of one AFCCG and did well in catchup mode for the other one. He threw 15 passes against the Bengals in '09. That's elite?

He was outstanding against NE in '10. Can't argue that. But one great performance doesn't make him elite in the playoffs. You're doing the same thing to Ryan that was done to Peyton. "Oh, he can't win the big game, too much pressure." Then he wins it. Then what do you say?

It's laughable to compare Sanchez to Ryan at this point. If Ryan ends up being 0 for his career in the postseason, then you have something. But the guy is only in his 5th year and looks better than ever - there's no reason to think he won't eventually get deep in the postseason.
    ELITE

I said which one do you want. You kids need to learn to read.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    ELITE

I want the better QB and that is Matt Ryan. Sorry to say.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ELITE

You are on a losing horse with the Matt Ryan argument. Put me down for Ryan.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where is Stokes in this discussion?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    ELITE

Then I guess Sanchez was elite in your eyes yesterday, since his passer rating was about the same as it was in two of those playoff wins. We'll just have to disagree on the definition of the word.

And I guess you never did used the word compare. But when you put two people who have been playing the same position in the same sport for about the same amount of time in the same sentence...a comparison is typically the next step.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Elite?

Good comparison with the Peyton-Ryan thing. I will say that Ryan certainly needs to play better in the playoffs, but that was also the case early on in Peyton's career. I did not expect Ryan to reach the level he is now playing at this season when he came out of college. He's far exceeded the pro I thought he could be.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    First off, Matt Ryan is not an elite QB a very good QB yes. You have to actually accomplish something to be consider elite. For the most part Ryan has come up blank in big games.

I am not making the argument Sanchez is better but the elite tag is being over used with Matt Ryan.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    You are on a losing horse with the Matt Ryan argument. Put me down for Ryan.
    So you want the QB who is going to get you to the post season in a weak division and will sh!t the bed in the playoffs. Cool.

Anyone else?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock48nj View Post
    No doubt.. this is a troubling stat for him in this year. I gave him a pass on last year with the myraid of other problems on O and our OC, but expected him to improve this aspect of his game. That said, our skill position group on O is probably in the same neighborhood as his comp % in terms of talent.

Even Holmes as a #1 requires a nearly perfect pass to make a play. I watch with 3 TVs going every weekend so get to see a decent amount of other teams.. the true #1 WRs make bad throws look good all the time. We just don't have the types of WRs that climb the ladder and snatch the ball out of the air, adjust on throws in-front/behind, extend and make those diving catches on deep throws that might be long. You see these types of plays made all the time... we get Hill dropping a sure TD pass.

Also.. with the talk of missed TD throws yesterday are people really getting on him for the cumberland play where Sanchez stiff armed and unblocked defender and then tried to throw while falling to the ground? And is the Hill play the one were he plulled up lame? I don't think Mark was good enough yesterday but I guess I view those specific plays differently than some.
    Im going to quote this because this is exactly how I feel. We had a guy that could leap and snatch balls out of the air (not Plax), for what ever reason he isnt on the Jets anymore.
    The first Hill drop, the one where was a couple of defenders surrounding him was a tough catch, but it hit both his hands. He catches that and he starts to build confidence for the game, instead he drops it and leads to other drops.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock48nj View Post

i agree and i think the blame goes all around. it starts with the hc for not playing powell and mcknight b/c these guys can catch and run. sanchez needs all the help he can get with keller out (and hill out now). kerley, cumberland, schillens and hill haven't had 1 full season of playing experience. too many times yesterday, gannon said that the wrs can't get open.

my favorite play was the dump to powell that was called back b/c of a holmes holding penalty, b/c it showed exactly what the offense is missing - a fallback option when kerley, cumberland and holmes can't get open.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Elite?

Bingo. The Sanchez is 'clutch in the playoffs' narrative is absurd. He was horrid against the Chargers in 09 and Colts in 2010. In both games the defense was outstanding and the Jets ran for 170 yards. Almost impossible for any QB to have not won those games.

So you want the QB who is going to get you to the post season in a weak division and will sh!t the bed in the playoffs. Cool.

Anyone else?
    Since W/L record in playoffs trumps all, who would you rather have TJ Yates or Matt Stafford?
    Last edited by w0mbat; 09-24-2012 at 02:18 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    50.5%. Below Gabbert and Tannehill. Say what you will about the drops, but he's been awful in this stat his whole career. I'd say at this point the number really speaks for itself. It isn't getting better. I don't think you can ever win consistently in this league with an inaccurate QB. He misses too many throws he should make. I'm not saying we need him to be 65%, but he should be around 60 at least. That is pretty standard for a good QB in any type of system.

Are we thinking he turns it around against SF and Houston? Let's be real, it may get even worse before it gets better. He's signed through next season but you really have to wonder if the Jets scouting department is not starting to take more of an interest in some of the top college QBs.
    Just watching Sanchez this year this is shocking

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else?
    Brad Johnson had some great post season runs and won a SB. He must be elite also!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Today I learned that Mark Sanchez is the only QB that has receivers that drop passes.

It just isn't fair.