Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: What does a win-loss record mean?

  1. #1

    What does a win-loss record mean?

    The Jets are 2-1 and lead the AFC East. They have a better record than the New England Patriots who had the easiest NFL schedule coming in to the season.

    However, people are saying that they are a bad football team, with or without Revis according to Ian O'Connor.

    Now I'm not disagreeing with him because they played bad yesterday, but I thought the name of the game was winning games not to look pretty doing it. When did style overtake substance in the NFL?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    The Jets are 2-1 and lead the AFC East. They have a better record than the New England Patriots who had the easiest NFL schedule coming in to the season.

    However, people are saying that they are a bad football team, with or without Revis according to Ian O'Connor.

    Now I'm not disagreeing with him because they played bad yesterday, but I thought the name of the game was winning games not to look pretty doing it. When did style overtake substance in the NFL?
    The only time a win-loss record means anything is after 16 games.

  3. #3
    Early season schedules are not all even. Don't kid yourself, the Jets would be no better than 1-2 had they played the Pats first 3 opponents. Right now, the Bills and Jets stand at 2-1 because they've played some bad teams. That'll even out eventually as will the record if the team doesn't improve.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Conviction View Post
    The only time a win-loss record means anything is after 16 games.
    Then why have a page with standings on it?

  5. #5
    All League
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Fishers, Indiana
    Posts
    3,988
    The only glimmer of hope so far this season. Jets have looked beyond bad in 2 of 3 games but somehow are still 2-1 while the Pats are now 1-2.

    2-0 in the division is also a huge plus.

    If, by some miracle, the Jets find a way to turn this around after getting past these next two games, we will think about this Miami game and remember it as a huge win despite how ugly it was.

    We've have plenty of seasons where we've lost games we should have won, at least we're one up in that column this year.

    I'm not giving up hope on next week against SF.

    Two cross country trips in a row for them, and starting at 11:00 a.m. West Coast time have to be huge factors in our favor. Back at home, on the turf instead of the slick fields in Pitt & Mia may also help.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Early season schedules are not all even. Don't kid yourself, the Jets would be no better than 1-2 had they played the Pats first 3 opponents. Right now, the Bills and Jets stand at 2-1 because they've played some bad teams. That'll even out eventually as will the record if the team doesn't improve.
    The Patriots had the easiest schedule coming in. People were thinking that they could go 16-0 again.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Then why have a page with standings on it?
    So that women, children, and men who don't understand football, can look at it and be happy that their team is 2-1 after three weeks.

  8. #8
    Agree. The W is the ONLY thing that counts. Period.

    I now believe that the Jets wil win the AFCE. Not because they are any good - they are hardly that, but because the rest of the division stinks.
    NE is in a major difficulty. You know it's a problem when they have to rely on Julian Edelman and Danny Woodhead to keep things afloat.
    The Jets will not go far in the playoffs though - whoever winds up there. Hou looks pretty good if they reeattach Schaub's ear.

  9. #9
    The Jets have been squeaking out games since Rex got here. I can think of 5 games off the top of my head in 2010 that the Jets either had no business winning or could've very easily lost. But they won 11 that year and people thought they were a great team. They could've been 6-10 as easily as they ended up 11-5.

    It's a seeing eye single between third and short yesterday. In December it's a line drive in the standings.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    The Patriots had the easiest schedule coming in. People were thinking that they could go 16-0 again.
    Do you think playing the surprisingly strong Cards and at Baltimore is an easy early season schedule? I don't think I need to remind you how we fared in our visit to Baltimore last season.

    NFC West looked like an easy division to play before the season, now it looks potentially brutal. I don't think the Pats have the easiest sched in football, nor do I think they are going to win 13+ games with that D.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    The Patriots had the easiest schedule coming in. Morons were thinking that they could go 16-0 again.
    Fixed. And it takes until late in the season to figure out who really had an easy schedule. If Arizona finishes 13-3, what difference does it make if people thought before any games were played that they would be an easy W?

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    The Patriots had the easiest schedule coming in. People were thinking that they could go 16-0 again.
    No one who understands football was thinking the Patriots could go 16-0 this year.

  13. #13
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,157
    You ARE what your record IS...

    Willliam Parcells

    NO style points from the judges in football




    Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

  14. #14
    Here is the big problem. You win games you shouldn't' win or play very very badly in and you can totally delude yourself into thinking holes on the team do not exits.

    Last year: Hey, we are 8-5! We are a playoff team, just hold the course, all is well! In reality the Jets wee fabulously lucky to be 8-5, and the cracks in the team were very evident. We of course lost the last 3 and are out.

    It's great to be happy about a win and a winning record as long as the people in charge are realistic and see looming problems and act on it. If you ignore the problems on your team because you have won a few dicey games you will pay the price in the future.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us