Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: One Possible Positive Effect the Loss of Revis May Create

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

One Possible Positive Effect the Loss of Revis May Create

Rex may be forced to go back to the aggressive, blitzing, creating, misdirectional Defense he ran when he first got here.

Since Rex got here, he has used that aggressive blitzing D less and less, relying more and more on his D-Backs and a stout (till late) front line to be the core idea behind his D.

With Revis done for the season, this is no longer a legitimate option.

Rex will be forced to either have a weak D that can be exploited through the air badly if they sit on their heels OR he can bring a return to aggressive blitizing, blitz packages, misdirection and scheme-as-defense to create the pressure and turnovers we will require.

It's VERY small consolation for the loss of Revis, no doubt about that.

But if we are to have any success moving forward, it is my opinion that Rex and Co. will have to adapt, and revisit the more aggressive style of D he first had success with here in NY.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is probably true and a good thing. Our D has been vanilla as hell this year and it isn't working. To play devil's advocate, Rex may have stopped using some of those schemes because other teams had them scouted and were picking them apart. He just hasn't been able to fool other teams as much lately like he was able to in 2009 and 2010.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets will have to stop the run before they can get aggressive against the pass. We are going to hurt here for a minute.

No doubt that adjustments are coming

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    True....and it's not like he was the best player on the team!

Errr.......

Understood Fish, but that is really trying to look for something good. Agreed though, will find out just how much sack the staff and rest of D have.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep. The defense has been pretty vanilla this year. Rex is going to have to scheme more. Cro and Wilson can still make for a decent secondary. The key is generating pressure up front.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The loss of Revis means LESS blitzing, unfortunately

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think a possible benefit of Revis going down is that sanchez will need to take over as a leader and playmaker.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    I think a possible benefit of Revis going down is that sanchez will need to take over as a leader and playmaker.
    Sanchez already needed to do that.

Sorry guys, I know you're digging deep for a silver lining, but nothing good comes out of losing a guy of this caliber.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Better get the running game going too. D will need some rest

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Sanchez already needed to do that.

Sorry guys, I know you're digging deep for a silver lining, but nothing good comes out of losing a guy of this caliber.
    Houston's defense managed to be amazing last year after losing Mario Williams. Teams lose studs all the time and manage to play at a high level. Most teams suffer serious injuries, the question is how the team responds to the loss.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just heard Carl Banks say same thing.

Why worry... We still have 2 1st rounders in the secondary.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a few.

1. The Revis holdout/contract talks are now out the window. Revis's agent would have to be a fool to bring those up coming off an injury.

2. The pressure is now off the Jets for the most part. Without the best defensive player in the NFL, this team should be "expected" to not compete for a Super Bowl this year. This means that players can play a bit looser and Rex can try out the new guys and try out some new schemes without fear of loss of job, IMO. To fire Rex because of this is illogical and ridiculous.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    I have a few.

1. The Revis holdout/contract talks are now out the window. Revis's agent would have to be a fool to bring those up coming off an injury.

2. The pressure is now off the Jets for the most part. Without the best defensive player in the NFL, this team should be "expected" to not compete for a Super Bowl this year. This means that players can play a bit looser and Rex can try out the new guys and try out some new schemes without fear of loss of job, IMO. To fire Rex because of this is illogical and ridiculous.
    Othern than a minority of koolaiders.....who with REAL credibility thought this team would compete for a SB? ANY analyst? ANY?

Please tell us you are drinking.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Othern than a minority of koolaiders.....who with REAL credibility thought this team would compete for a SB? ANY analyst? ANY?

Please tell us you are drinking.
    True. But the media now can't push for Rex to be fired because that would go against any logic. As long as they try hard and do their best.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll try to stay positive and give Rex credit for being able to adjust to life without Revis, but I just don't think more blitzing is in the cards. Mostly because the Jets don't have anybody that can blitz.

Harris, Scott and Pace don't have the speed to get there.
    Maybin and McIntyre disappear when blocked.
    Landry is needed on the back end.
    Smith would get there late and get a 15-yard penalty.

The personnel just doesn't work in their favor. The Jets defense improves in only one way in my eyes, and that's dominance upfront. Time for Wilkerson and Coples to live up to the hype. Time for Ellis to play like he did against Carolina in the preseason on a regular basis. Time for Pouha to earn that extension money. That's how the Jets stay competitive without Teddy P locking down half the field.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    I'll try to stay positive and give Rex credit for being able to adjust to life without Revis, but I just don't think more blitzing is in the cards. Mostly because the Jets don't have anybody that can blitz.

Harris, Scott and Pace don't have the speed to get there.
    Maybin and McIntyre disappear when blocked.
    Landry is needed on the back end.
    Smith would get there late and get a 15-yard penalty.

The personnel just doesn't work in their favor. The Jets defense improves in only one way in my eyes, and that's dominance upfront. Time for Wilkerson and Coples to live up to the hype. Time for Ellis to play like he did against Carolina in the preseason on a regular basis. Time for Pouha to earn that extension money. That's how the Jets stay competitive without Teddy P locking down half the field.
    Problem is Rex would have to try to out-scheme lack of talent and ultimately lack of talent wins the day. We just don't have bigtime playmakers in the front 7. Through 3 games, Garrett McIntyre has had the best game of anyone in our front 7. That is an actual truth. Our secondary will probably still continue to make some big plays (although give up more big ones in return), I just don't have much faith that the front 7 is going to suddenly become a great unit.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    True. But the media now can't push for Rex to be fired because that would go against any logic. As long as they try hard and do their best.
    I haven't heard any analyst call for REXs head. he is a struggling, DC trying to succeed as a HC. He is better than half the coaches in the league. his record shows that. he is basically a game or two over 500 type coach.

he is hampered by his lack of vision in total team personnel, meddling owner, GM with less football skill than the average GM and ego.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Rex may be forced to go back to the aggressive, blitzing, creating, misdirectional Defense he ran when he first got here.

Since Rex got here, he has used that aggressive blitzing D less and less, relying more and more on his D-Backs and a stout (till late) front line to be the core idea behind his D.

With Revis done for the season, this is no longer a legitimate option.

Rex will be forced to either have a weak D that can be exploited through the air badly if they sit on their heels OR he can bring a return to aggressive blitizing, blitz packages, misdirection and scheme-as-defense to create the pressure and turnovers we will require.

It's VERY small consolation for the loss of Revis, no doubt about that.

But if we are to have any success moving forward, it is my opinion that Rex and Co. will have to adapt, and revisit the more aggressive style of D he first had success with here in NY.
    All this means is that there will be way more long plays given up by the d. With the worst front seven in football and a healthy Revis this D couldn't stop anything. They are number one in the league in giving up third down conversions when revis was in there. Now the D can't stop the run, it's going to get ugly.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed. If the Jets blitz more and have to rely on their CB's to cover they get get killed on big plays.

You blitz more when you are comfortable that your CB's can match up one on one.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Through 3 games, Garrett McIntyre has had the best game of anyone in our front 7. That is an actual truth.
    Un-freaking believable that you can make that statement and it be true.

People rip Holmes for his contract, but David Harris is the most invisible 30-million dollar man on the planet. The last impact play I can remember from Harris ended with him being walked down by an 80-year old Alge Crumpler.

I still have hope for the d-line, but for the LB crew it's 2003 all over again, with Pace and Scott playing the role of Mo Lewis and Marvin Jones.