Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: One Possible Positive Effect the Loss of Revis May Create

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Giving our defense fewer options isn't exactly a positive, but I like the effort. I'm going to miss watching a once in a generation player every week.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Agreed. If the Jets blitz more and have to rely on their CB's to cover they get get killed on big plays.

You blitz more when you are comfortable that your CB's can match up one on one.
    Playing devil's advocate, you could make the argument that the risk/reward works in the Jets' favor there. It's not like they are stopping anyone consistently with the current game plan so far. So they either get killed on a quick big play or suffer through a long, tiring drive that ends in points anyway. At least with in the blitz/big-play scenario the defense isn't worn out by the middle of the 3rd quarter.

I think the fact that they don't and won't blitz more has less to do with the CBs and more to do with the fact that they don't have a player who can actually get to the QB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just saw this on ESPN Next Level:

Jets defense the last 2 years.

With Revis Without Revis

Comp %: 54.2 vs 73.8
    Yards per attempt: 6.6 vs 9.1
    TDS-Ints: 15-22 vs 5-0

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Just heard Carl Banks say same thing.

Why worry... We still have 2 1st rounders in the secondary.
    3....Landry

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    3....Landry
    How crazy is that....we can't stop a nosebleed.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Playing devil's advocate, you could make the argument that the risk/reward works in the Jets' favor there. It's not like they are stopping anyone consistently with the current game plan so far. So they either get killed on a quick big play or suffer through a long, tiring drive that ends in points anyway. At least with in the blitz/big-play scenario the defense isn't worn out by the middle of the 3rd quarter.

I think the fact that they don't and won't blitz more has less to do with the CBs and more to do with the fact that they don't have a player who can actually get to the QB.
    Hey I agree, they should blitz more and if I had any confidence it will work I'd be happy to do it. when you are blitzing 'speed demons' like Harris, Scott and Pace it is sure to work.

The Jets go out and get a pass rushing DE so that we can get pressure with 4 and then proceed to not play him in the reg season. We have one OLB who has pass rush speed and he has been a non factor this year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    How crazy is that....we can't stop a nosebleed.
    No pass rush

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    Just saw this on ESPN Next Level:

Jets defense the last 2 years.

With Revis Without Revis

Comp %: 54.2 vs 73.8
    Yards per attempt: 6.6 vs 9.1
    TDS-Ints: 15-22 vs 5-0
    Painful to see that stat. Crabtree and A. Johnson certainly didn't mind hearing this news today.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope they allow Wilson to play on the outside now. Playing in the slot all the time is really what made Wilson look bad these past couple of years. It's MUCH easier to play on the outside, with the boundary as your friend. I think if Wilson is able to move to the outside full time, now that we know Revis won't be back, it will benefit him greatly. The flip side to that is that Lankster will be thrown into a tough spot.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The loss of revis means less blitzing, less man, and more zone. With our slow lbs and non-existant pass rush its going to get ugly.

Barring a crazy turnaround we're looking at a bottom 10 d.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Rex may be forced to go back to the aggressive, blitz
    might work but someone would have to teach our midLB core how to stop a running nosebleed out of the backfield, which is why we don't blitz more often

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Lankster will be thrown into a tough spot.
    like in front of a microphone?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Painful to see that stat. Crabtree and A. Johnson certainly didn't mind hearing this news today.
    Who cares? Did you expect this team to compete for a Super Bowl this year?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Who cares? Did you expect this team to compete for a Super Bowl this year?
    No after the last 2 games I did not (nor did I in the preseason). We had the brief euphoria after week 1 but it is long gone. I just hope the team, particularly Sanchez, can improve their level of play and then let the chips fall where they may. Next couple weeks are tough but there are still a lot of winnable games on the schedule. Have to stay competitive though, morale is probably low with the Revis injury and a blowout loss this weekend could really start to derail things.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by New Jerzey Jet View Post
    The loss of revis means less blitzing, less man, and more zone. With our slow lbs and non-existant pass rush its going to get ugly.

Barring a crazy turnaround we're looking at a bottom 10 d.
    So a similar situation to the playoffs in 2010 when the Jets went to the AFC Championship game, defeating Manning and Brady on consecutive weeks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The biggest benefit to Revis' injury is leverage this coming offseason.

The Jets now have reason to play chicken with him and possibly saving a few bucks on resigning him or forcing him to play under his current contract next year.

Next year's free agent class looks promising.

Aside from that, Rex and Pettine are going to have to start getting very creative with their defensive schemes.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    No after the last 2 games I did not (nor did I in the preseason). We had the brief euphoria after week 1 but it is long gone. I just hope the team, particularly Sanchez, can improve their level of play and then let the chips fall where they may. Next couple weeks are tough but there are still a lot of winnable games on the schedule. Have to stay competitive though, morale is probably low with the Revis injury and a blowout loss this weekend could really start to derail things.
    How can things possibly be derailed even more? This will most likely unify the team. not separate them. If they lose games, they lose games. All we can ask from them is to play hard.

Actually, now that I think of it, Tim Tebow might be just the man to help hold things together in the locker room.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we couldn't get pressure with Revis, how do we get pressure without Revis? Does the league make another team lend you a pass rusher under some sort of equality agreement in the new CBA?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    The biggest benefit to Revis' injury is leverage this coming offseason.

The Jets now have reason to play chicken with him and possibly saving a few bucks on resigning him or forcing him to play under his current contract next year.

Next year's free agent class looks promising.

Aside from that, Rex and Pettine are going to have to start getting very creative with their defensive schemes.
    Exactly.

All these holdout and contract talks are now out the window. Its kind of like what happened to Leon Washignton except I think his injury was worse