Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: One Possible Positive Effect the Loss of Revis May Create

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    The biggest benefit to Revis' injury is leverage this coming offseason.

The Jets now have reason to play chicken with him and possibly saving a few bucks on resigning him or forcing him to play under his current contract next year.

Next year's free agent class looks promising.

Aside from that, Rex and Pettine are going to have to start getting very creative with their defensive schemes.
    My guess is that Revis plays out his existing contract next year. He has to prove that he can be the same player after his injury. The Jets would be foolish to extend him, unless it is for a huge discount, before he shows what he can do after his injury.

Quote Originally Posted by New Jerzey Jet View Post
    The loss of revis means less blitzing, less man, and more zone. With our slow lbs and non-existant pass rush its going to get ugly.

Barring a crazy turnaround we're looking at a bottom 10 d.
    we were heading in that direction anyway.

we are 12th worst in yds/game
    and 13th worst in pts/game
    14th worst in yds/play
    10th worst in first downs/game
    WORST in 3rd downs conversion rate

we are 6th worst in rushing yds/play
    5th worst in rushing yards/game
    and have the second least amount of sacks in the league

where we are good is about to get worse, by alot.
    we are doing very well with opponent
    QBR, QB completion %, ypg, etc

the defense, barring a paradigm shift is heading straight to the bottom of the league.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    My guess is that Revis plays out his existing contract next year. He has to prove that he can be the same player after his injury. The Jets would be foolish to extend him, unless it is for a huge discount, before he shows what he can do after his injury.
    A Leon Washington redo?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    A Leon Washington redo?
    The difference is that Revis is under contract for next year. The Jets have a year to evaluate him before investing the money.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Agreed. If the Jets blitz more and have to rely on their CB's to cover they get get killed on big plays.

You blitz more when you are comfortable that your CB's can match up one on one.
    The ONLY way to blitz more and not get burned is to sit back in a zone and not get beat deep. But the Jets have man CBs... maybe Rex can get creative here. It's time he did because whatever he was doing before isn't working.

Who knows, maybe this is the shot in the ass this team needs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    The difference is that Revis is under contract for next year. The Jets have a year to evaluate him before investing the money.
    I can still see Mevis holding out and saying....no pay, no play.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Rex may be forced to go back to the aggressive, blitzing, creating, misdirectional Defense he ran when he first got here.

Since Rex got here, he has used that aggressive blitzing D less and less, relying more and more on his D-Backs and a stout (till late) front line to be the core idea behind his D.

With Revis done for the season, this is no longer a legitimate option.

Rex will be forced to either have a weak D that can be exploited through the air badly if they sit on their heels OR he can bring a return to aggressive blitizing, blitz packages, misdirection and scheme-as-defense to create the pressure and turnovers we will require.

It's VERY small consolation for the loss of Revis, no doubt about that.

But if we are to have any success moving forward, it is my opinion that Rex and Co. will have to adapt, and revisit the more aggressive style of D he first had success with here in NY.
    Ever since the Cruz TD I feel Rex plays more conservative.

Hall Of Fame
    Should be interesting. I dont recall a player holding out after suffering a season ending injury the year before.

Rex may be forced to go back to the aggressive, blitzing, creating, misdirectional Defense he ran when he first got here.

Since Rex got here, he has used that aggressive blitzing D less and less, relying more and more on his D-Backs and a stout (till late) front line to be the core idea behind his D.

Rex will be forced to either have a weak D that can be exploited through the air badly if they sit on their heels OR he can bring a return to aggressive blitizing, blitz packages, misdirection and scheme-as-defense to create the pressure and turnovers we will require.

But if we are to have any success moving forward, it is my opinion that Rex and Co. will have to adapt, and revisit the more aggressive style of D he first had success with here in NY.
    Rex and Mike should have seen that was needed long before this game anyway. I mean what does it take? They gave up 169 yards to a pathetic 2nd string RB for Buffalo. They got absolutely run over against the Steelers. The poor tackling was so obvious late in that game I started saying to my friend who was watching with me, "Wait just a second he's going to break away and get at least 5 more yards". Anyone who knows the Jets knew that was going to happen. Cro was a lazy POS who just watched as the Steelers WR caught a touchdown.

Jets Insider VIP
    rather than getting myself aggravated, angry and banned by responding any further to the SOJFs who, despite a win, have decided to take over and ruin JI, apparently for the full week at least until the next game...

I'm out of here until at least Saturday

It;s all yours, rextilleon, copernicus, mainejet and the rest of the gang

have fun

No way. He runs the risk of being a FA that hasn't played football in two years and hasn't tested a surgically repaired knee.

Not saying it's impossible with the Revis camp, but that would be nuts on his part. He has no leverage here, especially if the Jets don't implode on defense the rest of the way.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    rather than getting myself aggravated, angry and banned by responding any further to the SOJFs who, despite a win, have decided to take over and ruin JI, apparently for the full week at least until the next game...

have fun
    Buddy, they really should have someone supervise your activities hour. I have never felt such lunacy permeate out of a written word in my entire life.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Rex and Mike should have seen that was needed long before this game anyway. I mean what does it take? They gave up 169 yards to a pathetic 2nd string RB for Buffalo. They got absolutely run over against the Steelers. The poor tackling was so obvious late in that game I started saying to my friend who was watching with me, "Wait just a second he's going to break away and get at least 5 more yards". Anyone who knows the Jets knew that was going to happen. Cro was a lazy POS who just watched as the Steelers WR caught a touchdown.
    +1

Our defense shows very little of the so called "SWAGGER" now or before the Revis injury. It's like Rex's involvment with the offense is affecting his time with the defense so we suck right?
    Big disapointment from where I hoped we would be, no fear from anyone when you can pretty much run for 150 yards and throw for ????

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    Just saw this on ESPN Next Level:

Jets defense the last 2 years.

With Revis Without Revis

Comp %: 54.2 vs 73.8
    Yards per attempt: 6.6 vs 9.1
    TDS-Ints: 15-22 vs 5-0

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry. Couldn't help myself there. Just needed to let that out.

Bewildered Beast

I was thinking about this; after seeing Atlanta using those concepts the previous week.

But the bright minds that follow these things say that the entire NFL has scouted Rex's schemes; which were designed to hide the lack of talent on the D.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    I was thinking about this; after seeing Atlanta using those concepts the previous week.

But the bright minds that follow these things say that the entire NFL has scouted Rex's schemes; which were designed to hide the lack of talent on the D.
    Mike Nolan (DC of ATL) coached with Ryan in Baltimore.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    I'll try to stay positive and give Rex credit for being able to adjust to life without Revis, but I just don't think more blitzing is in the cards. Mostly because the Jets don't have anybody that can blitz.

Harris, Scott and Pace don't have the speed to get there.
    Maybin and McIntyre disappear when blocked.
    Landry is needed on the back end.
    Smith would get there late and get a 15-yard penalty.

The personnel just doesn't work in their favor. The Jets defense improves in only one way in my eyes, and that's dominance upfront. Time for Wilkerson and Coples to live up to the hype. Time for Ellis to play like he did against Carolina in the preseason on a regular basis. Time for Pouha to earn that extension money. That's how the Jets stay competitive without Teddy P locking down half the field.
    I thought that's why we drafted guys like Coples and Davis? Maybe bring Antonio Allen up from the PS since he played a S/LB hybrid at SC.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    Mike Nolan (DC of ATL) coached with Ryan in Baltimore.
    Nolan is an interesting man; run out of his HC job here. I actually put him up with Capers and LeBeau.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice

That's exactly what I am hoping....

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post

have fun
    Happy Columbus Day.