Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eric Smith

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Fully agree. Unless you've identified a glaring hole in the protection schemes, have the offense pinned inside the 5 yard line, or are in a desperate situation, why go for the block? Far more penalties on punt block attempts than actual blocks - why do it?
    Desperation. The same reason we did a fake punt in our own territory. We were so clearly getting outplayed by Miami at that point that we felt we needed to do something out of the ordinary to alter the course of the game. And to think, during the week everyone (fans, media, etc.) had been calling for a blowout romp because of our alleged massive talent advantage.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Question who called rush the punter. ?

Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    while i dont agree with the Smith penalty on the punt, why on earth are we rushing the punter in that situation? We're going to be set up around midfield (or better) with 2 timeouts (3 until we wasted one prior to the punt) and a minute left.

you're more likely to get a penalty than a blocked punt trying to block a punt.. which is exactly what happened. two games in a row the last minutes before the half were mangled.
    -- Smith should not have got a penalty on that. He basically rolled under the leg of the punter without hitting him; the punter took an Oscar -worthy dive and the Replacement REFS made the bad call. However, i do agree that Smith is a borderline player who will probably be gone when our Rookie safeties develop.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagirt View Post
    -- Smith should not have got a penalty on that. He basically rolled under the leg of the punter without hitting him; the punter took an Oscar -worthy dive and the Replacement REFS made the bad call. However, i do agree that Smith is a borderline player who will probably be gone when our Rookie safeties develop.
    While I agree with you, it always seems he is in the wrong spot at the wrong time. time to cut bait!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ozu View Post
    They're 6th and 7th round draftees in their rookie years. No on should ever expect them to play more than ST at this point.
    I get that, but what I'm saying is our young guys can't make boneheaded moves on the cheap? We need to pay Eric Smith 2 or 3 million to constantly screw us over game after game?

Mulligan, Schotty, Hunter......E Smith somehow still hanging on

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfan51 View Post
    The guy is an decent back-up who gives u a ton of effort... both on def and special teams....

Glad he is not a starter... but frankly we have a ton more bigger issues..
    Here is a big problem comment 'he is a good back up but you don;t want him to start' People actually said that about hunter as well. Since you are one play away from an injury in this league a guy is NOT a good backup if he can't play the position worth shi*.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Here is a big problem comment 'he is a good back up but you don;t want him to start' People actually said that about hunter as well. Since you are one play away from an injury in this league a guy is NOT a good backup if he can't play the position worth shi*.
    +1........Eric Smith runs like Bart Scott and weighs 30 lbs less, but he makes up for it in boneheaded penalties and mistakes when you need em the most!

Cut this scrub, he finds ways to screw us over week after week......Don't know why Jets fans bother defending his OK at times Special teams play

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    +1........Eric Smith runs like Bart Scott and weighs 30 lbs less, but he makes up for it in boneheaded penalties and mistakes when you need em the most!

Cut this scrub, he finds ways to screw us over week after week......Don't know why Jets fans bother defending his OK at times Special teams play
    Is this what people have to resort to in order to defend Smith? Decent special teams play?

On special teams you're either good, bad, or completely irrelevant. If you're a decent special teamer that means you're an easily replaceable special teamer.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Smith is our opponents best player.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    Smith is our opponents best player.
    Well then, we should probably double cover him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    Eric did a nice job for the Jets yesterday...that's sarcastic because, in fact, he did not.

Let's complain about him.
    LOL. OMG Eric Smith is getting absolutely killed on this thread.

He does happen to be a very annoying, bumbling type player. Seems to be representing himself and Mully with aplomb this year

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    white safety

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really feel Smith could be utilized in certain situations at LB. While he is very slow for a safety, he is a better pass defender than the majority of our LBs.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    How is Eric Smith still on this team. He has been TERRIBLE!!! I find it hard to believe that could not recuit someone better then this bum. Give some young unproven player a chance at least. We know what we have in Eric Smith. He needs to go. My heart stops everytime I see him out there in coverage.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by simijet View Post
    I really feel Smith could be utilized in certain situations at LB.
    If the situation is you want the other team's mediocre Tight End or Fullback to make a big play and/or touchdown reception then Eric Smith absolutely is your guy.

Anyone else notice the Phins were picking on Smith the entire last drive with all of the targets to Fasano?
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 09-24-2012 at 08:44 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ozu View Post
    Eric Smith smells like pee.
    The roughing the kicker penalty Eric Smith was especially brutal yesterday. We would have had the ball in great field position with 45 secs on the clock and 2 timeouts. Prime position for at least a quickie FG right before the half.

What does this idiot do? He tries to spotlight ranger it and go for the kicker's head. Why? Instead of blaming Westhoff blame the clown on the field executing. Eric Smith knows the gravy train is almost over for him with the Jets. We signed Bell, Landry and drafted Bush and Allen. Writing's on the wall.

Expect more of this garbage. Eric Smith is going to kill this football team.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    If the situation is you want the other team's mediocre Tight End or Fullback to make a big play and/or touchdown reception then Eric Smith absolutely is your guy.

Anyone else notice the Phins were picking on Smith the entire last drive with all of the targets to Fasano?
    Well, we know Rex won't cut him

I'm just trying to find a place in which he could possibly be useful. Can he be any worse as a coverage LB than he is at safety?

rhetorical question . . . please do not answer

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm just trying to find a place in which he could possibly be useful. Can he be any worse as a coverage LB than he is at safety?

Will do anyway. Eric Smith as a LB is almost as asinine as Tebow as a Tight End.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice use of white space ...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Eric Smith is awesome. I know this because Rex Ryan told us so.

I remember when Rex Ryan said that Vernon Gholston's nuts dropped.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Will do anyway. Eric Smith as a LB is almost as asinine as Tebow as a Tight End.
    Don't agree. As I stated previously, I think Smith could possibly be effective (as an LB) in obvious passing situations . . . nothing more.