Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 85

Thread: Dissapointment in Sparano Thus Far: Shotty-Levels of Predictabillity

  1. #1
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,695
    Post Thanks / Like

    Dissapointment in Sparano Thus Far: Shotty-Levels of Predictabillity

    Topic title says it all.

    I can't imagaine I am the only one who is quite dissapointed int he rather predictable, vanilla-esque, basic Offense we seem to be running thus far in 2012.

    We got rid of Shotty for this very reason. We fans could call every play before it was run.

    Thus far, I can't say Sparano has been terribly different. Greene up the gut intot he backs of his O-linemen again and I might fall over dead from boredom.

    Like it, love it or loathe it, the Tebow trade was supposed *by most) to bring some degree of inherant unpredictabillity to our offense we were sorely lacking. Sanchex is playing like Sanchez, i.e. underwhelming......and the the Jets O is playing liek Shotty designed it, unassuming.

    If, as so much of the board now seesm to think, the Jets are going to go down in flames a la a MiG 27 hit by a quartet of Sidewinders, I'd at least like to see our O have the balls to mix it up some before we go quietly into the dark night of irrelevance.

    No, I am NOT saying "start Tebow". Nor am I saying "Have Tebow Pass 20 times a game".

    What I AM saying is, lets mix it up. If Tebow is going to be on the field 20 times a game, he should get at least 10 carries (is Greene going to do better?). He should throw at least 1 pass a game ffs. Even if it's an ultra-safe shorty or a "just to scare um" deep ball no one could catch if they tried.

    When your base O can't get it doen, you have two options. Razzle-dazzle and scheme yourself some production. Or just live with yoru limitation, be boring, and lose predictably.

    Sparano ran the Wildcat in Miami alot more than he's doing it here, and he did it better there with less Wildcat talent. Thats not good enough.

  2. #2
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    184
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have taken more shots and have looked to take more shots downfield this year so far than we did all of last year.

    I do think we could get more creative at the goal line, but he is at least looking downfield.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    9,525
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bear in mind Sanchez has thrown away at least 3TDs Sparano called plays already.

    I'm not totally disagreeing, but Sparano does have the expectation that if he calls a play where there is a wide open receiving streaking down field, that will be a Touchdown, and all three times Sanchez has missed the receiver, not to mention the myraid of drops and other missed passes (throwing behind the receivers crossing over the middle of the field is a constant issue).

    His big issue seems to be relying on Greene to pick up yardage, though they were going to Powell more during the last game.

    If you want to blame Sporano for Sanchez's missed throws, that's fair, as Schotty got that treatment too.

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    8,916
    Post Thanks / Like
    At least we throw some bombs down the field. We never did that with schotty.

    What did you expect when we hired the meatball? Don Coryall?

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,635
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Topic title says it all.

    I can't imagaine I am the only one who is quite dissapointed int he rather predictable, vanilla-esque, basic Offense we seem to be running thus far in 2012.

    We got rid of Shotty for this very reason. We fans could call every play before it was run.

    Thus far, I can't say Sparano has been terribly different. Greene up the gut intot he backs of his O-linemen again and I might fall over dead from boredom.

    Like it, love it or loathe it, the Tebow trade was supposed *by most) to bring some degree of inherant unpredictabillity to our offense we were sorely lacking. Sanchex is playing like Sanchez, i.e. underwhelming......and the the Jets O is playing liek Shotty designed it, unassuming.

    If, as so much of the board now seesm to think, the Jets are going to go down in flames a la a MiG 27 hit by a quartet of Sidewinders, I'd at least like to see our O have the balls to mix it up some before we go quietly into the dark night of irrelevance.

    No, I am NOT saying "start Tebow". Nor am I saying "Have Tebow Pass 20 times a game".

    What I AM saying is, lets mix it up. If Tebow is going to be on the field 20 times a game, he should get at least 10 carries (is Greene going to do better?). He should throw at least 1 pass a game ffs. Even if it's an ultra-safe shorty or a "just to scare um" deep ball no one could catch if they tried.

    When your base O can't get it doen, you have two options. Razzle-dazzle and scheme yourself some production. Or just live with yoru limitation, be boring, and lose predictably.

    Sparano ran the Wildcat in Miami alot more than he's doing it here, and he did it better there with less Wildcat talent. Thats not good enough.
    Are you blind? Sanchez has already tried as many deep passes as there were all of last year!

    There have been fewer screens that haven't worked and the routes are better.

    It all comes down to execution and they haven't executed in the last 2 weeks consistently

  6. #6
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,052
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're going to eat Christmas dinner in September?

    1) We got rid of Shotty for this very reason. NOT TRUE; his offense was not effective; not because the fans were bored.

    2) W

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,712
    Post Thanks / Like
    We throw a bunch down field now.. Personally I think it's great.

    Now if Sanchez could just connect on a few of them then we'd have a lot more points.

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,764
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Topic title says it all.

    I can't imagaine I am the only one who is quite dissapointed int he rather predictable, vanilla-esque, basic Offense we seem to be running thus far in 2012.

    We got rid of Shotty for this very reason. We fans could call every play before it was run.

    Thus far, I can't say Sparano has been terribly different. Greene up the gut intot he backs of his O-linemen again and I might fall over dead from boredom.

    Like it, love it or loathe it, the Tebow trade was supposed *by most) to bring some degree of inherant unpredictabillity to our offense we were sorely lacking. Sanchex is playing like Sanchez, i.e. underwhelming......and the the Jets O is playing liek Shotty designed it, unassuming.

    If, as so much of the board now seesm to think, the Jets are going to go down in flames a la a MiG 27 hit by a quartet of Sidewinders, I'd at least like to see our O have the balls to mix it up some before we go quietly into the dark night of irrelevance.

    No, I am NOT saying "start Tebow". Nor am I saying "Have Tebow Pass 20 times a game".

    What I AM saying is, lets mix it up. If Tebow is going to be on the field 20 times a game, he should get at least 10 carries (is Greene going to do better?). He should throw at least 1 pass a game ffs. Even if it's an ultra-safe shorty or a "just to scare um" deep ball no one could catch if they tried.

    When your base O can't get it doen, you have two options. Razzle-dazzle and scheme yourself some production. Or just live with yoru limitation, be boring, and lose predictably.

    Sparano ran the Wildcat in Miami alot more than he's doing it here, and he did it better there with less Wildcat talent. Thats not good enough.
    1) the idea to keep running greene up the middle wasn't schotty's, it's rex's.

    2) sanchez isn't the best qb

    3) sanchez is throwing to only 1 guy, holmes, who has at least 1 full year of nfl experience

    4) they don't use rbs who can catch and those guys typically bail out qbs under pressure. powell had a few catches yesterday, one called back b/c of a holmes holding penalty.

  9. #9
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cape Coral, FL
    Posts
    1,067
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't say he's shotty level predictable. He's a run first OC so given that there is going to be some level of predictability. How often did shotty call a bomb to Holmes on 1st and ten? Actually how often did shotty call a go route? I will say the run up the middle on 2nd and ten is very obvious, but I understand why he does it. I think once the WRs pick up their catch to targets percentage, Mark gets a little more time/accurate then this could be an explosive Offense. Much like we saw in game one when everything was firing on all cylinders. Maybe I haven't seen enough to make me forget how horrible Shotty really was.

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    8,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    You're going to eat Christmas dinner in September?

    1) We got rid of Shotty for this very reason. NOT TRUE; his offense was not effective; not because the fans were bored.

    2) W
    +1. I think the play calling has been noticeably better (not to say amazing), but players still have to execute. I never thought I'd say this, but I can't wait for the real refs to get back so CBs aren't allowed to hump receivers 15 yards down field. Other teams with good receivers might be able to still get open, but our ragtag bunch are simply not able to.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not even close to Shotty-type predictability.

    Way more shots down the field.

    Still poor execution, but at least no more "3 recievers in a 5 yard radius" plays; or, the famous Schottenheimer "3rd and five, line up 4 wideouts and have them all run 4 yard button hooks".

    As far as playcalling, we've made a quantum leap...we've gone from Pop Warner to high school.

  12. #12
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,695
    Post Thanks / Like
    I fully agree, we're throwing downfield more. Thats good. The leash has been removed from Sanchez to some degree....and it'll be up to him to earn it staying off.

    I also fully agree, our recievers have a bad case of early season oil-hands. Not good, but not Sparano's fault.

    The problem, as I tried to make clear, is in the running game and the aquisition and use of the Wildcat QB Tebow. We're not remotely as productive on the ground as we need to be, and our largest running talent (Tebow, sorry, but it's true) is not getting the ball, nor are we threatening anyone with him in a way that would provide any cover for Sanchez and the RB/WR's on other downs.

    Again, Greene up the middle....again? Why not "Tebow off tackle" instead? Or Tebow throws to a TE so the idea of a thread of a pass exists, and removes teh rpedictabillity of our ground game?

    It's like signing the fastest WR in football and having him run nothing but 5 yard curl routes. We bought this damn asset, it's caused so much controversy and distraction, we damn well better get some milage out of whatever talent that asset has to offer.

    And really, if anyone makes an argument that Greene up the middle is better for us that Tebow up the middle, you're going to have a hard time proving that case.

    Start Powell, run (and pass occasionally) Tebow more. Dump the vanilla.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,386
    Post Thanks / Like
    sparano has turned out to be what i thought he would be.

  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,485
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sparano has been fine.
    The line gets no push. Greene is too slow getting through the hole.
    The WR's and TE's are mediocre as a whole.

    The talent is just not there.
    Oh and Sanchez has been the worst QB in football so far this year....

    I don't know too many offensive coordinators who could make this work.

  15. #15
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    39,884
    Post Thanks / Like
    We need to get Mark a trio of gritty lil white midgets like Brady has.

    Over the middle boom. In the slot boom.

    Now that...is football talk.


    -

  16. #16
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,695
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Conviction View Post
    Still poor execution, but at least no more "3 recievers in a 5 yard radius" plays
    You mean apart from the poorly designed playcall in the endzone that led to the Sanchez INT, where to players were almost on top of each other by design?

    Seems alot of fans think simply throwing it deep is enough to make an O unpredictable. Ok, disagree, but ok. Sparano thsu far in my view has been very predictable and the results on the ground especially prove it.

    My point was, I think he can (and has) been far more unpredictable and a better utilizer of the talent he has (and doesn't have). I hope for and expect more and better from him as we move on (this is not a fire Sparano thread, for the record, nothing of the kind).

  17. #17
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    16,333
    Post Thanks / Like
    You know what makes a good OC? A good QB!

    Sanchez is now what he's always been. An average to below average QB. Who's very innacurate, panics too often and has trouble reading defenses. The best OC in the world wouldn't make this offense better then average.

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,386
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    You know what makes a good OC? A good QB!

    Sanchez is now what he's always been. An average to below average QB. Who's very innacurate, panics too often and has trouble reading defenses.
    if you review game film he really seems to have issues seeing over the linemen and downfield. we dont have the physical wrs who go up and fight for the ball either.

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,645
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I fully agree, we're throwing downfield more. Thats good. The leash has been removed from Sanchez to some degree....and it'll be up to him to earn it staying off.

    I also fully agree, our recievers have a bad case of early season oil-hands. Not good, but not Sparano's fault.

    The problem, as I tried to make clear, is in the running game and the aquisition and use of the Wildcat QB Tebow. We're not remotely as productive on the ground as we need to be, and our largest running talent (Tebow, sorry, but it's true) is not getting the ball, nor are we threatening anyone with him in a way that would provide any cover for Sanchez and the RB/WR's on other downs.

    Again, Greene up the middle....again? Why not "Tebow off tackle" instead? Or Tebow throws to a TE so the idea of a thread of a pass exists, and removes teh rpedictabillity of our ground game?

    It's like signing the fastest WR in football and having him run nothing but 5 yard curl routes. We bought this damn asset, it's caused so much controversy and distraction, we damn well better get some milage out of whatever talent that asset has to offer.

    And really, if anyone makes an argument that Greene up the middle is better for us that Tebow up the middle, you're going to have a hard time proving that case.

    Start Powell, run (and pass occasionally) Tebow more. Dump the vanilla.

    Tebow is hardly the "best rushing option" on this team. If that is the case then this team is in way more trouble than it may already be in.

  20. #20
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    E'Ville
    Posts
    1,241
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    We throw a bunch down field now.. Personally I think it's great.

    Now if Sanchez could just connect on a few of them then we'd have a lot more points.

    Yep, don't see how anyone could complain about Sparano.

    The onus now is on Sanchez connecting enough down the field. He has connected on at least one each game this year, but he has left far too much yardage on the table by missing a few throws.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us