Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 31 of 31

Thread: Republicans look for voter fraud, find little

  1. #21
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,550
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Sure there would.

    By the Obama Justice Dept.

    And you would be correct. Both parties disgrace the process by cheating in any way possible.

    But to swallow the notion that these 'investigations' are anything more then an attempt to weaken the other party is to be either horribly naive or a kool-aid drinker.

  2. #22
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,611
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    And you would be correct. Both parties disgrace the process by cheating in any way possible.

    But to swallow the notion that these 'investigations' are anything more then an attempt to weaken the other party is to be either horribly naive or a kool-aid drinker.
    I could care less why part A or party B cheats the system. It's 100% irrelevant to my position on the issue of voting.

    Voting should require an ID, and that ID should be checked/confirmed at the time the vote is being cast. This is not an (R) position, this is my position, and I continue to believe it's the very LEAST we should be doing to ensure the process has any integrity/barriers to fraud.

  3. #23
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    How so?
    you normally require a better standard of proof.

    If someone were to say to you, "I am confident that there will be tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of legitimate voter suppresion due to voter ID." I am pretty confident you would laugh that off and tell someone to provide proof.

  4. #24
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,611
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    you normally require a better standard of proof.

    If someone were to say to you, "I am confident that there will be tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of legitimate voter suppresion due to voter ID." I am pretty confident you would laugh that off and tell someone to provide proof.
    I would, because the IDEA behind the claim is, in my opinion, offesnive and laughable on it's face.

    The idea being that voters (i.e. people who will have to take action in order to vote) are apparently incappable (especially minorities) of also taking action in order to aquire the ONE piece of documentation you almost cannot get through life without in our modern society.

    And yes, my confidenince re: bad votes is founded not on stats (because lol, how can we get stats if we're not checking anything to stat'ize?), but on basic logic. Checking ID's is what I call basic validation, security. Not checking ID's is what I call "lolo, trust us, no one would ever cheat, lol derp, derp".

    And frankly, their is politics behind both sides. Yes, Republicans don't want fraud.....or lazy socially inept Democrats too stupid to get ID's (or walk and chew gum) to vote. Democrats WANT ignorant, stupid lazy and illegal voters to vote, hopefully multiple times, if that means their guy wins.

    A pox on all your houses. When even a BASIC systematic function like "ID verification" becomes a Political football worth this type of fight.....the system isn't just broken, it's ass ****ed by a Donkey. A Pox.

  5. #25
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I would, because the IDEA behind the claim is, in my opinion, offesnive and laughable on it's face.

    The idea being that voters (i.e. people who will have to take action in order to vote) are apparently incappable (especially minorities) of also taking action in order to aquire the ONE piece of documentation you almost cannot get through life without in our modern society.

    And yes, my confidenince re: bad votes is founded not on stats (because lol, how can we get stats if we're not checking anything to stat'ize?), but on basic logic. Checking ID's is what I call basic validation, security. Not checking ID's is what I call "lolo, trust us, no one would ever cheat, lol derp, derp".

    And frankly, their is politics behind both sides. Yes, Republicans don't want fraud.....or lazy socially inept Democrats too stupid to get ID's (or walk and chew gum) to vote. Democrats WANT ignorant, stupid lazy and illegal voters to vote, hopefully multiple times, if that means their guy wins.

    A pox on all your houses. When even a BASIC systematic function like "ID verification" becomes a Political football worth this type of fight.....the system isn't just broken, it's ass ****ed by a Donkey. A Pox.
    although I disagree with your reasoning, Mercutio (republicans are the heroes, Dems are the villains), I have no real problem with Voter ID if it goes through a measurable trial period, is federally instituted, and is free or inexpensive and easy to obtain.

  6. #26
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,550
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I could care less why part A or party B cheats the system. It's 100% irrelevant to my position on the issue of voting.

    Voting should require an ID, and that ID should be checked/confirmed at the time the vote is being cast. This is not an (R) position, this is my position, and I continue to believe it's the very LEAST we should be doing to ensure the process has any integrity/barriers to fraud.
    Then lets do that; I also have no problem with requiring a photo ID to vote except lets do it in a sensible manner and time frame.

    And with respect, you may not care about the politics behind these investigations but that does not change the fact that politics is exactly what is driving this issue. If it benefited the Republicans to have the system remain status quo there would be zero investigations by their lawmakers, zero stories on their personal mega phones (murdoch owned media outlets) and zero threads posted here by the committed far-right.

    Case in point; how many threads were started by conservative posters here relating to fiscal responsibility prior to 2008?

  7. #27
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,611
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    I have no real problem with Voter ID if.......
    Lets see....

    it goes through a measurable trial period
    Agreed. Should NOT have rammed trhough for THIS election, but passed to take effect the day after Obama/Romney.

    is federally instituted
    Meh, States rights..... But I'd accept it at Federal tbh, if passed/done correctly.

    and is free or inexpensive and easy to obtain.
    Fully agreed.

    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    Case in point; how many threads were started by conservative posters here relating to fiscal responsibility prior to 2008?
    Alot more than you're giving credit for tbh. As one whose been a vet in here from the start, I know it, cause I started many of them.

  8. #28
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Lets see....
    did I pass?


    Meh, States rights..... But I'd accept it at Federal tbh, if passed/done correctly.

    My only reason for this is I don't know if I like the idea of potentially having 50 different sets of rules for federal elections. If it were only for state elections then I think each state could do what they want.

    I also think a federal ID would be better suited to handle the issue of voting in two states where you have property.

    I also think you can't address ID without addressing absentee ballots. To me that is being penny-wise and dollar foolish

    also this:

    Agreed. Should NOT have rammed trhough for THIS election, but passed to take effect the day after Obama/Romney.
    it stinks of politics, not of a real desire to curb voter fraud.

  9. #29
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    22,364
    Post Thanks / Like
    Absentee ballots.

    Where there's smoke, there's fire.

  10. #30
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,611
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    did I pass?
    You usually do. Aye.

    Quote Originally Posted by PK
    Absentee ballots.

    Where there's smoke, there's fire.
    If everyone were being consistent, that would be valled "Millitary Voter Supression".

  11. #31
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    22,364
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    If everyone were being consistent, that would be valled "Millitary Voter Supression".
    Bingo!


    But alas. It would never happen....even though banning absentee ballots is like banning AK-47s from airplanes and Voter ID laws is like banning bringing hair gel on a plane....

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us