Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

Thread: Cimini: Rex: Jets RBs 'left yards on the field'

  1. #1
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,809
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cimini: Rex: Jets RBs 'left yards on the field'

    FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- A day after the Jets ran for just 88 yards against Miami, Rex Ryan offered a pretty damning indictment of his running backs.

    "Did I think we left some yards on the field? Absolutely," Ryan said. ".... There was a chance to get the ball outside, just different things. But I would give credit to the opponent because they did an outstanding job."

    Shonn Greene struggled in particular against Miami, managing just 40 yards on 19 carries. On the season, Greene is averaging 2.8 yards per carry.

    So much for ground and pound.

    "We'd like to get him going more," Ryan said of Greene. "Without question we'd like to see him get that average up over four yards per carry. But, again, we'll see. We'll keep working at it and hope we can get something going."

    Bilal Powell had a better day than Greene, running for 45 yards on 10 carries. Ryan was asked if the team would he consider using Powell and Joe McKnight earlier in games and bringing in Greene later.

    "That's certainly a possibility that we'll look into," the coach said. "It's possible. we'll look at anything that we think can help our team. Has that been discussed? No…. We will look at all possibilities going into a game. Is that going to happen? I don't know."

    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...medium=twitter

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ
    Posts
    2,390
    Post Thanks / Like
    No run game. Poor QB play. Can't get off the field on 3rd down.

    How the hell are we in 1st place?

  3. #3
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    16,334
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by One Eye View Post
    No run game. Poor QB play. Can't get off the field on 3rd down.

    How the hell are we in 1st place?
    How? It's week 3 that's how!! And we've played 2 garbage teams in the first 3 weeks.

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,757
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not only did Powell do a good job (4.5 YPC)... but he did it against a defense that shut down (relatively speaking) Arian Foster to the tune of 3.0 YPC and Darren McFadden to 2.0 YPC. Shonn Greene mustered a miserable 2.1 YPC. It's clear as day that Powell needs to be the lead back.

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,617
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by One Eye View Post
    No run game. Poor QB play. Can't get off the field on 3rd down.

    How the hell are we in 1st place?
    Because of the unwavering loyalty of a small group of Jets posters on this and other sites. They are the reason the Miami kicker missed the game winning FG.

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,674
    Post Thanks / Like
    And by running backs, Rex means Greene.

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,617
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    Not only did Powell do a good job (4.5 YPC)... but he did it against a defense that shut down (relatively speaking) Arian Foster to the tune of 3.0 YPC and Darren McFadden to 2.0 YPC. Shonn Greene mustered a miserable 2.1 YPC. It's clear as day that Powell needs to be the lead back.
    Agreed. Powell won the job on Sunday. Let Greene try to win it back from the #2 spot.

  8. #8
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    184
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- A day after the Jets ran for just 88 yards against Miami, Rex Ryan offered a pretty damning indictment of his running backs.

    "Did I think we left some yards on the field? Absolutely," Ryan said. ".... There was a chance to get the ball outside, just different things. But I would give credit to the opponent because they did an outstanding job."

    Shonn Greene struggled in particular against Miami, managing just 40 yards on 19 carries. On the season, Greene is averaging 2.8 yards per carry.

    So much for ground and pound.

    "We'd like to get him going more," Ryan said of Greene. "Without question we'd like to see him get that average up over four yards per carry. But, again, we'll see. We'll keep working at it and hope we can get something going."

    Bilal Powell had a better day than Greene, running for 45 yards on 10 carries. Ryan was asked if the team would he consider using Powell and Joe McKnight earlier in games and bringing in Greene later.

    "That's certainly a possibility that we'll look into," the coach said. "It's possible. we'll look at anything that we think can help our team. Has that been discussed? No…. We will look at all possibilities going into a game. Is that going to happen? I don't know."

    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...medium=twitter
    Greene never picks the right holes to go threw.

  9. #9
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    946
    Post Thanks / Like
    Greene is a waste of space. No burst, no vision and can't make guys miss. I would say move him to FB but after watching him pass block in Pitt. that won't work either.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,386
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Jet Fan View Post
    Greene never picks the right holes to go threw.
    he runs with his head down usually into the backs of his own guys.

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jackson Heights
    Posts
    2,351
    Post Thanks / Like
    There was one play early in the game that personified green and his vision.

    With a weak formation Reuland motioned right pre snap and Slausson pulled right at the snap. He had daylight and Reuland pinched the strong side backer and Slausson had open field to take out the safety. Greene went down headfirst into the line for a two yard carry.

    He still coulda been running.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,902
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Ryan was asked if the team would he consider using Powell and Joe McKnight earlier in games and bringing in Greene later.

    "Has that been discussed? No…"
    Lip service to the media or poor coaching?

    Given Greene's complete ineffectiveness, how are the coaches not discussing alternatives?

  13. #13
    Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,220
    Post Thanks / Like
    Greene left yards on the field. I can not believe they try to run him to the outside, he's way too slow and doesn't have the moves to get the ball on plays like that, just inexplicable.

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,712
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjets23 View Post
    Greene is a waste of space. No burst, no vision and can't make guys miss. I would say move him to FB but after watching him pass block in Pitt. that won't work either.
    Him not making guys miss wouldn't be a huge issue if he could actually run through someone but he can't even do that anymore.

    I think Greene is just one of those guys who doesn't work hard at all in the weight room and it shows with him not getting better.


    What looked to be a very good draft pick has turned into bleh... Let him leave after the season. We can do better at the position. And I would really rather not draft one in the 1st round.

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    21,165
    Post Thanks / Like
    What, they are clueing in that our backs suck and have no game breaking speed? Sounds much like the 'we have to block better' declarations after Hunter gives up 50 sacks. Or 'we have to become more athletic' declarations after our slow white safeties get torched for a yea and a half. Or 'we need more deep threat speed at WR' after we have about 1 pass over 30 yards for a whole year.

    Don't worry,. Rex will give his guy every chance to epically fail before he makes a change, after all we are winning.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,902
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Greene left yards on the field.
    This is not a new development. It's been a common occurrence since 2010.

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,792
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Him not making guys miss wouldn't be a huge issue if he could actually run through someone but he can't even do that anymore.

    I think Greene is just one of those guys who doesn't work hard at all in the weight room and it shows with him not getting better.


    What looked to be a very good draft pick has turned into bleh... Let him leave after the season. We can do better at the position. And I would really rather not draft one in the 1st round.
    i think he'd struggle to be a backup rb on most teams.

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,969
    Post Thanks / Like
    Greene has no vision. zero. he is definitely a liability and is holding the offense back. no doubt.

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,617
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Greene left yards on the field. I can not believe they try to run him to the outside, he's way too slow and doesn't have the moves to get the ball on plays like that, just inexplicable.
    LOL... You just channeled my own frustrations there Buzz. After one play clearly designed to go outside I screamed to my wife downstairs... "In what effing universe does an edge play for Shonn Greene ever work? EVER????"

    My wife being a serial understander of my Jets addiction sensibly declined to answer my question there.

    Oh and I did not say "effing"... I may have used another word.

  20. #20
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,617
    Post Thanks / Like
    The best is when he finds himself unexpectedly in space on the 2nd level. He almost always gets all nervous and excited trying to ratchet up his speed that he often stumbles and trips over his own feet. So a 25-yarder turns into a 7-yarder

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us