Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cimini: Rex: Jets RBs 'left yards on the field'

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by One Eye View Post
    No run game. Poor QB play. Can't get off the field on 3rd down.

How the hell are we in 1st place?
    You mean stay on the field on 3rd down.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    Lip service to the media or poor coaching?

Given Greene's complete ineffectiveness, how are the coaches not discussing alternatives?
    This is my greatest concern with this coaching staff. It seems they are unwilling to consider alternate solutions to what isn't working.

Rex should be putting EVERY last player on notice that their jobs are not safe. Certainly start with RB. Put Greene and McKnight on notice right now. They either start to perform better or they lose playing time to eventually be replaced when Tanny can find a better option during the offseason.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    LOL... You just channeled my own frustrations there Buzz. After one play clearly designed to go outside I screamed to my wife downstairs... "In what effing universe does an edge play for Shonn Greene ever work? EVER????"

My wife being a serial understander of my Jets addiction sensibly declined to answer my question there.

Oh and I did not say "effing"... I may have used another word.
    Same here! And those plays are usually not just no-gain plays, we actually lose yards. The play design is fine, it's the player.

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    The best is when he finds himself unexpectedly in space on the 2nd level. He almost always gets all nervous and excited trying to ratchet up his speed that he often stumbles and trips over his own feet. So a 25-yarder turns into a 7-yarder
    i saw that a few times. he looks for the scrum to mask how slow he is and he knows he has no moves. powell on the other hand actually got away from a few guys and got first downs. powell may not be anything special but when you compare him to greene he's awesome. he and kerley actually were getting away from defenders.

it's not just RB.

the whole offense left a bunch of yards/points on the field. from the missed throws, drops and just sloppy offense in the red zone, this game should've been a blowout.

which, oddly enough, i find somewhat encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    it's not just RB.

the whole offense left a bunch of yards/points on the field. from the missed throws, drops and just sloppy offense in the red zone, this game should've been a blowout.

which, oddly enough, i find somewhat encouraging.
    it's true. jets had 3 points in 2 red zone chances where they had 1st and goal inside the 5. i thought they would have scored on the INT drive if they had handed it off to powell.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    it's true. jets had 3 points in 2 red zone chances where they had 1st and goal inside the 5. i thought they would have scored on the INT drive if they had handed it off to powell.
    also, if they're gonna use Tebow in the red zone, do so on first down. that way if the play fails, you still have 2nd and 3rd down to make something happen.

that sequence where Greene got stuffed on first down, then Tebow lost yards on second down, then the penalty on third down followed by Sanchez scrambling and coming up short of the goal line.... ugh. that looked like a "worst of Schotty" compilation.

other than that, i think Sparano called a decent game. the opportunities were there, we just need to execute better.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Same here! And those plays are usually not just no-gain plays, we actually lose yards. The play design is fine, it's the player.
    Yeah, there was one glaring play I remember in the 2nd half where Brick, Slauson and Mangold opened up a big hole on the left side and it had 15 yd run written all over it, but then, somehow, Greene only gets 4 yds.

Me and my friends were like, "What the hell happened?" But we knew, it was Greene being Greene.

But we had to laugh at them doing the LT airborn thing with Greene. He was laying on the field after that like he was shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    also, if they're gonna use Tebow in the red zone, do so on first down. that way if the play fails, you still have 2nd and 3rd down to make something happen.

that sequence where Greene got stuffed on first down, then Tebow lost yards on second down, then the penalty on third down followed by Sanchez scrambling and coming up short of the goal line.... ugh. that looked like a "worst of Schotty" compilation.

other than that, i think Sparano called a decent game. the opportunities were there, we just need to execute better.
    i'm not even sure they need tebow, if they use powell and mcknight. the offense seemed close to normal when powell was in there, he gave them 2nd and 5 and 6, and also was a factor in the passing game.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Rex should be putting EVERY last player on notice that their jobs are not safe. Certainly start with RB. Put Greene and McKnight on notice right now. They either start to perform better or they lose playing time to eventually be replaced when Tanny can find a better option during the offseason.
    If only it were that easy.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i'm not even sure they need tebow, if they use powell and mcknight. the offense seemed close to normal when powell was in there, he gave them 2nd and 5 and 6, and also was a factor in the passing game.
    agreed.

but if they do intend to use him, do it with a fresh set of downs.

I think it's now apparent that Greene is a CAREER #2 RB who should always be spelling the #1 RB(whether it was Thomas Jones or LT).

If the Jets needed a yard or two, then Greene could do his "put his head down and charge" move to get those two yards.

The Jets need another RB to go to when it's more than that. Sad, really....

Start Powell....

I feel like I was one of the first on the "bench Greene" bandwagon, but some of this stuff is very harsh. He is what he is. I really fault the coaching staff more than Greene. He had a nice run late in the game, when the defense was tired and couldn't tackle him. That should be his role.

A lot of Powell and a little McKnight early, then a big dose of Greene at the end.

I actually can't believe how bad Greene has been this year, I almost hope for his sake he's been hurt because he's running at such a low level that he could find himself out of the league pretty quickly at this rate. Guys who average under 3 yards per carry don't last very long and RB is the most fickle position. A guy can be a star one year and out of the league 2 years later.

I wouldn't even bother trying to establish the run against the Niners early, they are just going to stuff us and put Sanchez behind the chains. Come out throwing, only chance to move it early.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjets23 View Post
    Greene is a waste of space. No burst, no vision and can't make guys miss. I would say move him to FB but after watching him pass block in Pitt. that won't work either.

Quite honestly, I think Greene is mis-used.

Greene is a back that I would bring in about midway through the 3rd quarter & all of the 4th quarter when the opposing defense is starting to wear down.

I think a fresh Shonn Greene in that situation (a closer's role) so to speak, would be much more fitting for him.

Think back to that playoff game in San Diego 2 yrs ago (where the above image was taken) and that is similar to how he was used. Thomas Jones got alot of the carries early in the game and then in the 2nd half Greene was getting the bulk of the carries - and he was very effective in that role.

Veteran
    Knoxville, TN, but originally from NW Mass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    I think it's now apparent that Greene is a CAREER #2 RB who should always be spelling the #1 RB(whether it was Thomas Jones or LT).

If the Jets needed a yard or two, then Greene could do his "put his head down and charge" move to get those two yards.

The Jets need another RB to go to when it's more than that. Sad, really....

Start Powell....
    Agreed 100%. He simply does not have the skill set of a feature back.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    If only it were that easy.
    Why wouldn't it be? rex Ryan runs this team. He can do whatever he wants in regards to the players. If he decides Bilal Powell starting at RB gives the Jets their best chance at winning, all he has to do is say so.

Sorry, Shon and Joe. But I have a feeling that Powell gives us our best shot at winning against the Niners this Sunday. Therefore, Shonn, you will 2nd string and will spell Bilal when he needs a blow. Joe: We'll sprinkle you in as we see fit.

See how simple that was?

Although in crunch time late in the fourth quarter yesterday Greene did have a big run helping to set up what should have been the winning touchdown.

I think he may have also been referring to the big drop Powell had late in the game but yeah Greene sucks